Author Topic: To GG or not to GG? That is the question.  (Read 42490 times)

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: To GG or not to GG? That is the question.
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2015, 07:36:08 am »
My take on "gg" has actually changed while playing Guns. At first, and for awhile, I'd say it after every match as habit. After awhile though, and I'm pretty sure after I became a CAMod, I noticed my "gg" more often doing more harm than anything else if I just say it after any match. A lot of times, it would draw out someone on the opposite side to say "bg" in either the short or long version.

This doesn't apply to everyone of course, and your air miles may vary. I typically reserve my "gg" for good games.

I don't get into the politics of "gg" either. You can say it or say nothing and I never feel much either way. The respect is still there. I do dislike people who say "bg", mostly the ones that do the long versions.

Offline ZnC

• Salutes: 40
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2015, 10:18:31 am »
GGMLG

Interesting to read this thread especially since I'm a competitive Starcraft II player. Like c-ponter said, it is rude not to GG in the Starcraft scene.

In RTS or MOBA games like Starcraft and DotA, most games where there is a clear winner isn't played to the end. So when surrendering, players GG to acknowledge defeat and prevent leaving the game midway in a sudden manner. Whereas in GOI, games are played to the end with a shared endgame score screen and rematch lobby for everyone.

Seems most of the GOI players wouldn't GG if it wasn't a GG - perfectly reasonable not to. It is just me, and while it does make GG a lot less meaningful, I try to take every game with a pinch of salt and GG even if I win 11-0 or get stomped 0-11. However I do feel bad/not-so-respectful saying GG after stomping another team - will probably reflect on that.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2015, 10:50:22 am »
Man I thought this was a gamergate thread for a second.

I say GG. I'm a polite person irl. Sir and ma'am, please and thank you, all with sincerity and deference. I'm commonly told that you'd think I know personally every cashier or server I meet. While sometimes this is "fake", where I don't actually think the person deserves the honorific of sir or ma'am, or they have not done a job deserving of thanks, I regardless still follow these rules. I want everyone to be respectful but as I can't force people to do so then I must hold myself to a high standard.

Etiquette is often just going through the motions, however its still nice to follow.

Do what you want but unless it is an exceptionally bad game due to trolling I will GG and I love the fact that its often followed by a bunch of Duck GG's as well.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2015, 02:50:43 pm »
That... is not a good example. And isnt the same at all.

Saying GG implies a match well spent. Im not gonna say GG if i pummeled the other team 5-0. Who knows how they had it, did they have it fun? The chances are since i desimated them... no they didnt.

(It would only be polite to not say GG in that circumstance)

Oh another thing, try to seperate. "Thanks for the game" from "Good Game".
In my Fighting game days, playing against flippin gods, i thank them for the games. But i didnt bring a Good game.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 02:57:00 pm by Crafeksterty »

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2015, 01:43:22 am »
In a similar thread, I rarely give out commendations anymore. They are tossed out like candy, really meaningless. A lot of people just see them as another achievement to get. I used to give them to everyone, spam clicking to make sure I got everyone before the timer ran out. Then I realized something was wrong. I did not know these people. I did not know how they treated their crews. My commendations did not mean anything. They were the button version of 'gg'. The final straw came after I gave someone a commendation randomly. He had never spoken to me, but flew an OK game on the other team. Once back in the lobby, a lady friend of mine came into the lobby, and, well, he suddenly behaved in a very unsportsmanlike way. After that, I stopped giving commendations. There are quite a few lobbies were I am glad I did not give any. I started finding other's reflexive 'gg' to be equally meaningless, and even insulting. I never did say 'gg' in a non-sarcastic manner, but now made it a point to say "Well fought." and only give commendations to people I play a good number of matches with to get a measure of their true worth. If you get a commendation from me, it means something.

Offline Patched Wizard

• Salutes: 43
    • [+]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2015, 01:08:15 pm »
I used to play football in a semi-professional league since I was a kid and from a young age I was always taught to show good sportsmanship regardless of the results of the game or the opponents that I faced. From that I always try and say "good game" because no matter if I or they got crushed, the simple fact was that we both played against each other and stayed until the end. For me it is honourable to show a margin of respect to my opponent even if neither of us had fun.

Commendations however are a different thing. I see that as more of a personal recognition of a player's actions in the game and for that I do not find responsible to always reward a player. I will even say "good game" in matches against vile players but I will withhold giving them a commendation for their behaviour.

At a young age, without the foundations of sportsmanship, a child can quickly descend into elitism, arrogance, and develop exclusionary and selfish behaviour. At an older age our habits take longer to remould, but given a long enough time scale, even a tiny splinter of pretentiousness can infect our minds and grow to dominate our attitude in all spheres of our lives.

For me, "good game" is more about keeping myself in check and ensuring that I always maintain a good attitude in game then about the game itself.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2015, 12:09:50 am »
GG is pretty much my way of saying game over.

I guess game gone? Hence I only say it before or during a match when it has reached a conclusive point.

gg in many rts circles (esports star craft notably) is actually just a means of surrendering a match as it has reached the point where a player loses the chance/ability to win.

Or perhaps this is your mind perceiving this in such a negative manner through psychological assumptions?
GG stands for Good Game, any normal person who wants to saying something different, will say something different. If someone writes GG and you read something different, it is your perception, not their meaning.

Its 6-4

and most of those 6 deaths were due to your noob ally squid that has charged the enemy spawn.

You have 10 seconds to spawn and kero across the map just in time to see the squid die from a 3 v 1.

Pretty freakin gg. Spare your delusional demonising nonsense.

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2015, 03:37:18 am »

I guess game gone? Hence I only say it before or during a match when it has reached a conclusive point.

gg in many rts circles (esports star craft notably) is actually just a means of surrendering a match as it has reached the point where a player loses the chance/ability to win.

Or perhaps this is your mind perceiving this in such a negative manner through psychological assumptions?
GG stands for Good Game, any normal person who wants to saying something different, will say something different. If someone writes GG and you read something different, it is your perception, not their meaning.

Its 6-4

and most of those 6 deaths were due to your noob ally squid that has charged the enemy spawn.

You have 10 seconds to spawn and kero across the map just in time to see the squid die from a 3 v 1.

From what I can see ceres kamoba hasnt said anything about "why you should gg" all he's doing is bringing awareness to the general meaning of gg, as not everyone will assume a poorly worded "game gone" when you say gg and if you really wanna get it out youre better off just writing down the whole sentence.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2015, 04:32:21 am »

Its 6-4

From what I can see ceres kamoba hasnt said anything about "why you should gg" all he's doing is bringing awareness to the general meaning of gg, as not everyone will assume a poorly worded "game gone" when you say gg and if you really wanna get it out youre better off just writing down the whole sentence.

Basically what Keb said, not everyone has the ability to read minds like you Ceres, so when you say "gg" most people read Good Game, not Game Gone, so if you want to say "Game Gone" better to type the full thing.
8)

Also my overall point revolves around your negative attitude as well, if you assume negative attitude from other people who are being positive, you attract a negative experience to yourself, this could be why you're experiencing so much frustration and despair to your game play, making it less enjoyable for yourself.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2015, 05:13:09 am »
What Kamoba said is CA-speak for "It's all your fault, asshole" :D

Ceres said nothing wrong, I think. As he said, in starcraft saying gg when you see you can't win anymore means surrendering the game. Although I think "game gone" explanation is wrong, it's just saying gg like "It was a good fight, you won, I cannot fight you anymore and we can just spare those extra 5-10-whatever minutes of you destroying every my building". I think gg as, say, "good day" can be said (written) both seriously and sarcastically, that's why you see sth like "Oh, lvl1 gunner joined our ship and took the helm. GG.".

About gg-ing itself - after many sales I find less and less patience and (sadly) less and less respect for the new players, so most of the time I don't gg because it wasn't a good game for me (duh!). GGing can be treated as common courtesy like saying hi to your crew, or something more meaningless. Same goes with giving recommendation, adding to friend list, clan recrutation patterns etc.

Also I think goio is a bit more complicated regarding gg issue than Starcraft. In Starcraft most games are 1v1 so it's really battle between you and your oponent and nobody can "break" your game, like a bad ally or crewmember in goio. We all know the pain. That's why never gg when bad ally (regardless whether on my or enemy team) acts stupid or leaves after first death. That's why blocks and reports are so important and that's why votekick or something similar is a must (but that's a different story).

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2015, 08:35:47 am »
What Kamoba said is CA-speak for "It's all your fault, asshole" :D

Ceres said nothing wrong, I think. As he said, in starcraft saying gg when you see you can't win anymore means surrendering the game. Although I think "game gone" explanation is wrong, it's just saying gg like "It was a good fight, you won, I cannot fight you anymore and we can just spare those extra 5-10-whatever minutes of you destroying every my building". I think gg as, say, "good day" can be said (written) both seriously and sarcastically, that's why you see sth like "Oh, lvl1 gunner joined our ship and took the helm. GG.".

About gg-ing itself - after many sales I find less and less patience and (sadly) less and less respect for the new players, so most of the time I don't gg because it wasn't a good game for me (duh!). GGing can be treated as common courtesy like saying hi to your crew, or something more meaningless. Same goes with giving recommendation, adding to friend list, clan recrutation patterns etc.

Also I think goio is a bit more complicated regarding gg issue than Starcraft. In Starcraft most games are 1v1 so it's really battle between you and your oponent and nobody can "break" your game, like a bad ally or crewmember in goio. We all know the pain. That's why never gg when bad ally (regardless whether on my or enemy team) acts stupid or leaves after first death. That's why blocks and reports are so important and that's why votekick or something similar is a must (but that's a different story).

Oh I'm not saying it's all his fault, just that based on the points he made earlier in the thread that he is assuming a lot of negativity off of other players and I believe this assumption leads to an overall less positive attitude.

Yes people say GG before match end to admit defeat and say it sarcastically too, but not everyone says it spitefully, as Patched Wizard and Blackened Pies have already covered the subject of manners and etiquette, I wont spend ages reiterating, I'll just point out that at times when a gentlemen admits defeat early in the battle, he is still showing courtesy, not everyone spits the words out with a growl and swears. :)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2015, 12:01:23 am »
Can we say GG to this thread now? ;)

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2015, 12:06:41 am »
Can we say GG to this thread now? ;)

Yes, please.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2015, 12:09:32 am »
ggwp

Offline Xemkobankavareniya

• Salutes: 20
    • [Rrdy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2015, 12:50:17 am »
GGMLG