Author Topic: Burst on Merc Field Gun  (Read 11731 times)

Offline Ayetach

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Burst on Merc Field Gun
« on: March 02, 2015, 01:14:34 pm »
Is that a thing?

I was in a recent match with Spud Nick and Inkjet and there was some use of that ammo type on this gun. I'm not sure if the burst can justify the AoE or not, its quite small if I recall. Does this increase the changes of disabling components considerably?

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Re: Burst on Merc Field Gun
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 01:28:39 pm »
DJ Tipz n Trix (may he Dota 2 in peace) swears by Bust Merc, and I have to say, it does feel easier to hit things. I don't know if it actually works or if it's just mental, but it doesn't seem to do any harm

Offline Ayetach

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 01:37:44 pm »
Looking at llamatron and other stats, there doesn't seem to be any evidence support its increase of AoE or enough to justify its use. I'm just curious if other players would beg to differ on this.

Offline ZnC

• Salutes: 40
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 01:40:02 pm »
I used to do it a lot, but I feel Charged is superior overall. The main reason is because even with Burst, the AoE is not big enough to hit more than 1 component.

With Charged, Armor damage per clip: 345 > 449 - very significant (especially if you miss the component).

Also, by increasing the base damage you are also increasing the damage of the AoE.

Offline Ayetach

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 02:06:16 pm »
Yes ofc, I can agree with you on that ZanC, which was why I was puzzled by the use of it. I thought it was interesting but there's very little to back it up in terms of practical use.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 02:08:36 pm »
Does it add an extra ammo?  The normal loadout is Charged/Heat/Loch, but if Burst adds an ammo...

Offline Ightrril

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 28
    • [C¤P]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 02:18:35 pm »
Burst just has 2 shots on the merc, Heatsink is the only ammo type to add a third shot on 2-shot guns.

I don't believe Burst makes it easier to disable components, Charged is a far better ammo for it overall (increased damage, not decreased rate of fire).

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 02:40:08 pm »
I believe its just mental.

It is just consistency of rate of fire that maybe makes you take better shots.
Like with charged you wait half a second longer before your anticipation for the shot to come out.

The faster you shoot the easier it is to hit, but dont go testing with greased now as it changes the projectiles path :P

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 02:44:48 pm »
Possibly they had an achievement to get destroys while using burst but wanted the mercs benefits of armour damage too?

Offline ZnC

• Salutes: 40
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 04:27:16 pm »
Possibly they had an achievement to get destroys while using burst but wanted the mercs benefits of armour damage too?

I hereby confess to using less than optimal ammo choices for achievements. Still get the job done though, just a little slower.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 06:15:12 pm »

I hereby confess to using less than optimal ammo choices for achievements. Still get the job done though, just a little slower.

It has to be done, it is not often the achievements tally with the situations the games provide:)

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 10:32:51 pm »
It certainly does something. Long ago frogger would run his junkerwith a  front merc using burst for the amazing disable power. However the merc was a little more versatile then.

Nowadays generally the merc is best for the dps not the disable.  However burst is definitely viable.

Offline Serenum

• Salutes: 12
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 02:30:45 am »
It's true that you mostly won't hit more than 1 component with a burst mercury, but at the same time you will have an easier time hitting the one you are aiming for. Still, I think Charged is the superior choice, especially in the hands of a skilled gunner.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 06:14:23 am »
Again, i believe its the rate of fire that allows for a better or more accurate shots.
The charged is better, it just doesnt allow for another on time anticipated shot because its slower.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2015, 09:04:36 pm »
charged forever.

If I see lesmok or burst on my mercs I'm like learn to shoot.

lesmok might be easier to shoot but if I wanted a perfectly straight shot I'd use an artemis. If I wanted components I'd used charged because even if I miss, I hit the hull and that hull breaks really quickly with charged.

Missing a component with burst just feels like I wasted a shot. A charged shot? Not so much.