Author Topic: Game mode level requirements?  (Read 21259 times)

Offline Lydia Litvyak

• Salutes: 40
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Game mode level requirements?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 05:32:51 pm »
I like Richard's idea--I actually think it's a good idea for new players to start out by engineering and gunning until they understand how things work, and then start piloting. Maybe it would be a good idea to encourage that a little more somehow.

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 06:30:36 pm »
I like Richard's idea--I actually think it's a good idea for new players to start out by engineering and gunning until they understand how things work, and then start piloting. Maybe it would be a good idea to encourage that a little more somehow.

The problem is, piloting is also best learned in novice. Often times you might take a galleon or something and get shredded by vets.

Offline c-ponter

• Salutes: 14
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 06:44:56 pm »
I like the idea of only letting them join non-novice matches as engi/gunner, but they would have to be allowed to stay piloting in novice matches imo for a few reasons
1) friends who buy the game as a pack of 4 will be split up if they can't pilot and I think this will put off a lot of new players
2) when I was novice I only really played gunner and engineer at first, and because of that I never realized what a huge difference having an engine down made, I think for things like this you really need to play all 3 classes, just to see how one relies so much on the others if nothing else
3) if they aren't piloting in the novice matches, who is? XD

Offline Lydia Litvyak

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 12:03:45 pm »
Novices pilot in novice. Just maybe not in non-novice.

Offline Sarabelle Marlowe

• Salutes: 25
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 07:51:41 pm »
Trouble is, there isn't a clean cut answer to this. What it boils down to is this: the player base isn't large enough. Because it's so small, it makes it so that if Muse does put a harder line down before there is enough people there, it's going to make it so it takes them even longer to get a game in. Do that, and the few newer players there will get discouraged and leave, thus making the problem worse.

I more then sympathize with those that have to deal with newer players that are also not keen on taking advice. I've lost more then a few games because of it. However, that's going to happen in any and every online team based game. You can growl and rage, but there is not one single multi-player game out there where an uncooperative player won't screw a game. Alas, it comes with the territory.

Best thing you can do is try and teach the new player, and if they don't want to listen, leave the lobby and find another game before it starts. It's not the best answer, but then, it's also wrong to punish players that do want to learn and are a little advanced for novice. I mean, more then once I've found a gem in the rough that was better then their level let on (and promptly asked them to join my guild). Something a lot of people tend to forget is that all of us were level one at some point. And if they are being rude and not listening, what makes you think they would at higher levels anyway? Some people are like that, and level doesn't save you from the trolls.

I def agree with Kamoba, BlackenedPies and Imagine on this one. We want to encourage, communicate and work with newer players. And some players you just can't work with, but that wont change anyway. Putting in something with a bunch of clauses will cause more issues then fix them. And I'd rather have Muse work on Adventure Mode then try to work in more rules and coding for a tiny community that can barely handle matchmaking.

Once the community grows it'll make things lot easier to find similar level games and open possibilities for player levels and requirements. For now though, we got to work with what we got.

Offline Lydia Litvyak

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 11:54:35 pm »
I agree with all of that. I mean, if you're really, truly tired of having low-level teammates lose you games and want a practical solution, crewing up with friends is always a good move.

Offline Sarabelle Marlowe

• Salutes: 25
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 12:04:39 am »
Oh yeah, is the entire reason I joined a clan in the first place. That and between other clans chatting and working things out, it can fill lobbies and have some really awesome games.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 02:24:18 am »
I agree with all of that. I mean, if you're really, truly tired of having low-level teammates lose you games and want a practical solution, crewing up with friends is always a good move.

and then babies whine about stacking.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 02:29:26 am »

Or about how they have to play with all the newbies because they have no clan mates to team up with.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 02:36:38 am »

Or about how they have to play with all the newbies because they have no clan mates to team up with.

MM says no.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 08:25:43 am »
MM says "Searching for 1 more players"
;)

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 10:57:38 am »

What Lyd means are custom, invite only lobbies.  I play public, MM matches a lot, but my favorite are when a friend invites me to a custom high level lobby

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2015, 11:44:34 am »

What Lyd means are custom, invite only lobbies.  I play public, MM matches a lot, but my favorite are when a friend invites me to a custom high level lobby

That isn't guaranteed alot of the time as others are either in other matches or simply not on. Getting the numbers beyond a 2v2 is very unlikely with this method.

and even with 2 v 2 you will at some point need to use MM to recruit from to supplement the people that leave after 1 or 2 matches.

Offline Ayetach

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2015, 12:17:47 pm »
+1 to  Sarabelle Marlowe for your input along with many others in this thread.

This is a community and teamwork game and doing the best you can is all you can ask for from one another. If players are able to listen and communicate then they're definitely on a fast track to being great players - and that's the very core value we want to encourage among our fellow aviators.

I never really have a problem too much of the time serving along side other players who are new in matches esp if they are able to cooperate. I would even go as far as to say removing the level system would help remove a fair bit of the prejudice we have towards new players before they get the chance to prove themselves.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2015, 02:32:26 pm »
I think an encouragement to make friends or communicate should be better emphasised. We cant directly control newbies or how a player learns the game.

Rather, emphasise having microphone or listening or forming a group with other people or making friends. I remember few games making teamwork a requierment and voice over making the game more rich, but i dont remember what those games were, or if im creating and mixing fragmented memories, but i do feel like there are that fully encouraged communication or teamwork in that fashion.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 02:34:06 pm by Crafeksterty »