Author Topic: The game you mostly play  (Read 181304 times)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Re: The game you mostly play
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2015, 03:47:06 am »
i tried to play terraria... then i just went... i dont get it.

I've tried it on PC and Vita...still don't get it.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2015, 03:55:40 am »
i tried to play terraria... then i just went... i dont get it.

I've tried it on PC and Vita...still don't get it.

To me, It looks like a cheap two dimensional version of Minecraft. I dont understand either one.

*Uses MIB Mind Eraser*

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2015, 05:13:08 am »
Recently I solve more differentials than play games (fuck Calculus 2 - at the end of this month is going to be my 4th and 5th take on that enormous bullshit); if I do something connected with games - it's rather coding my own, Embrace The Void.

Embrace The Void is going to be a 2D topdown shooter, with gameplay being a sort of homage to ol' good shooters like Doom, Blood, Duke Nukem 3D - I mean: exploring maps, looking not only for exit, but also for secrets crucial to survival, as they contain guns, armor, medkit, and most of all: Ammo.

For now it looks like this:

We have dynamic lighting to obscure players visuals, and nice basis to create more. Still, there are many things to do.

Oh, yeah. We also have a small OST, which is awesome.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2015, 05:16:25 am »
Recently I solve more differentials than play games (fuck Calculus 2 - at the end of this month is going to be my 4th and 5th take on that enormous bullshit); if I do something connected with games - it's rather coding my own, Embrace The Void.

Embrace The Void is going to be a 2D topdown shooter, with gameplay being a sort of homage to ol' good shooters like Doom, Blood, Duke Nukem 3D - I mean: exploring maps, looking not only for exit, but also for secrets crucial to survival, as they contain guns, armor, medkit, and most of all: Ammo.

For now it looks like this:

We have dynamic lighting to obscure players visuals, and nice basis to create more. Still, there are many things to do.

Oh, yeah. We also have a small OST, which is awesome.

Nice! looks great and the music choices are Astounding, will give a great environment of fear in the dark levels.   :)

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2015, 05:23:03 am »
Nice! looks great and the music choices are Astounding, will give a great environment of fear in the dark levels.   :)

Thank you! Actually, the music was ordered rather than found or chosen. I told a guy what we need, shown him some screenshots, and told more about atmosphere we wanted, and he did those 4 tracks. :)

Actually, that's a sort of "my mark" on all the games I do: I say "NO FUCKING WAY" to music found on the Internet, I prefer finding a person who is able to create and record something original for my creations. ^^

But I must say, that much of atmosphere ideas come from good old Blood - game from 1995, created on the engine of DN3D. It's soundtrack and gameplay are astounding, and this game is one of more forgotten gems...

Edit: Honestly - all those levels will seem dark. Even though it's a topdown, the player will only see a cone similar to the line of sight of human being, as presented on the screenshot. I also want to experiment with lightings - spawning much darker light from players cone, and add source of light on my level, even better - scripted sources, so you can achieve old Id Software trick of triggering the trap that opens walls hiding enemies and shut down the exterior lighting. :D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 05:28:08 am by Schwalbe »

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2015, 05:45:18 am »
I play the piano and have a few Synthesisers and Midi Keyboards but I don't feel like I am potential for making music of that calibre.

Check out the ending music of this youtube channels videos. I made it myself. They asked for something funny and original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWNmZq7KpEg

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2015, 05:50:11 am »
They asked for something funny and original.

...this sentence reminded me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KVx2USJGJs

As for that bit. Nice technic, but definitely not my kind of music. ^^ Waaaaay too cheery for my tastes.

Personally I'm a bassist, who would be much better if I had time to practice bass guitar daily (fuck Uni sometimes man).
That's the only thing so far I've recorded. It's a little crappy, because it was 16th take (I started fucking it up when I started recording) and I was pissed, so I forced it a bit...

I also write music for my death metal  band. ^^ Not Cannibal Corpse kind of metal... rather something between progressive, melodic and technical death metal, with some weird influences.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 05:53:28 am by Schwalbe »

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2015, 05:53:07 am »
They asked for something funny and original.

...this sentence reminded me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KVx2USJGJs

As for that bit. Nice technic, but definitely not my kind of music. ^^ Waaaaay too cheery for my tastes.

It would very funny for victory music in an adventure like game.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2015, 12:30:31 pm »
Terraria is much, much more than cheap 2D Minecraft.

Terraria, in it's own way, has a very strong building scene, but it's more about combat and taming your world.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2015, 02:04:17 pm »

Terraria, in it's own way, has a very strong building scene, but it's more about combat and taming your world.

Thank you!

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2015, 04:10:21 pm »

Thank you!

VERVERYVERY ABRIDGED;

Terraria pits you against an absolutely merciless world.  It's your job to build shelter, mine for resources, and hunt monsters to get the gear you need to defeat the numerous bosses in the game.  They, in turn, drop great loot, and so on and upwards until you're fighting the Frost Moon, which is currently the toughest End Game event.

On top of this, there is a spreading, evil biome called the Corruption (Or depending on the world, the Crimson) that WILL take control of every single block in a world if it is not maintained and controlled.

There's a second half of the game called Hardmode.  Killing a boss called the Wall of Flesh, located in the Underworld and summoned by sacrificing your Guide via dropping a Guide Voodoo Doll in the lava, will activate it.  It involves new, tougher bosses, the ability to break Demon Altars to spawn new, powerful ore, and a flood of new, powerful mobs.  By far the most drastic change is a huge new vein of corruption that appears, and an entirely new, also spreading Biome called the Hallow to contend with.  The Hallow in game is portrayed as a 'good' biome, but make no mistake; Pixies, Unicorns, and flying pink bubbles will not hesitate to gib you.

After progressing far enough in Hardmode, you kill a boss called Plantera.  Killing Plantera changes your dungeon, turning up the difficulty to 11, as they say.  This new, Hard Dungeon is the source of even more new mobs and gear, some of which is absolutely monstrous in power, but even those items are eclipsed eventually.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2015, 04:49:52 pm »

Thank you!

VERVERYVERY ABRIDGED;

Terraria pits you against an absolutely merciless world.  It's your job to build shelter, mine for resources, and hunt monsters to get the gear you need to defeat the numerous bosses in the game.  They, in turn, drop great loot, and so on and upwards until you're fighting the Frost Moon, which is currently the toughest End Game event.

On top of this, there is a spreading, evil biome called the Corruption (Or depending on the world, the Crimson) that WILL take control of every single block in a world if it is not maintained and controlled.

There's a second half of the game called Hardmode.  Killing a boss called the Wall of Flesh, located in the Underworld and summoned by sacrificing your Guide via dropping a Guide Voodoo Doll in the lava, will activate it.  It involves new, tougher bosses, the ability to break Demon Altars to spawn new, powerful ore, and a flood of new, powerful mobs.  By far the most drastic change is a huge new vein of corruption that appears, and an entirely new, also spreading Biome called the Hallow to contend with.  The Hallow in game is portrayed as a 'good' biome, but make no mistake; Pixies, Unicorns, and flying pink bubbles will not hesitate to gib you.

After progressing far enough in Hardmode, you kill a boss called Plantera.  Killing Plantera changes your dungeon, turning up the difficulty to 11, as they say.  This new, Hard Dungeon is the source of even more new mobs and gear, some of which is absolutely monstrous in power, but even those items are eclipsed eventually.

And that just isn't advertised. Tame the world? You build a little box and sit in it till night is over, then fight the same slimes or critters that respawn constantly during the day. There is nothing that says, oh theres monsters and bosses to defeat for epic loot. Although I had seen info on COOP battles/etc, the thought of fighting bosses with the combat system Terraria has just doesn't make me want to spend the time to get to the bosses/etc.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2015, 04:59:30 pm »
Terraria's combat system isn't hugely deep, no, but it takes a lot of skill not to die outright during some of the bossfights, even with endgame gear.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2015, 10:48:44 pm »
in any case sandbox games like minecraft are kinda dull to me when I have a word processor to do fun sandbox stuff in literature form.

when compared to the absolute freedom of literature vs sandbox games... I tend to go towards the former.

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2015, 06:07:04 am »
Recently I removed GOIO from my HDD - I felt it started to sprung toxic, melancholic, depressive thoughts, because fuck my brain - and purchased CS:GO.

...after tormenting myself for 11 hours - because I'm one persistant basterd - I wished I had never bought this game. Not because it sucked me in, quite the contrary.

You people think the GOIO players might seem toxic?
Oh hell no.

The level of stupidity and debiliating, overgrown egos is over 9-fucking-thousand.
Alko recommended me to play on community servers - wasn't much better.
Matchmaker of CS:GO - yeah, still broken, though faster.

The basis are easier to comprehend than those of GOIO, though CS require far more skill - I was aware of that, so I started from practicing with bots, to get to know maps and practice headshots.

The fucking thing is - even though CS bots are good, playing with other people is completely different; as I said, I have nothing against being defeated by more skilled players, but ffs. The time you sit down doing absolutely NOTHING is, like, 70% of a game. The only moment I had a pleasant experience with that sodding sack of shit was when I carried a team (after 8 hours of playing lol) with my M4A1 headshots... which are not very accurate and even worse by my bad reaction time...

Fuck this game.

And fuck Steam refunds - they won't give me my money back because I forced myself to find those mythical positive sides of CS for 11 hours, when refunding is possible only under sodding 2...

Sorry, had to vent my frustration...