Author Topic: The game you mostly play  (Read 180631 times)

Offline c-ponter

• Salutes: 14
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
Re: The game you mostly play
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2015, 03:12:11 pm »
Do people still play tribes ascend? I used to find that game really fun but It took even longer than GOIO to find a match, or was that just time zone stuff?

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2015, 04:24:45 pm »
Tribes: Ascend is pretty much dead as far as i know. The devs stopped supporting it to work on SMITE.

Offline Alistair Marlowe

• Salutes: 5
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2015, 05:03:22 pm »
I used to play tribes ascend (juggernaut for the win) up til that hilariously broken engineer gear patch that gave them crap like homing missile launchers.  It was sad to see they'd dropped it entirely as I've always liked the tribes gameplay, but ascend was rapidly becoming a clustercuss.

As far as things I play outside of GOIO, I play Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel, Kerbal Space Program, Fallout NV, Magicka Wizard Wars, Warhammer 40k Space Marine and, most recently, the Homeworld remaster.  It feels like every change made in that overhaul was for the better.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2015, 05:07:48 pm »
Oh, before GOIO, my steampunk needs were met by Renaissance Heroes. The debs closed it down due to lack of interest.
Well.. it was an Aesthetically pleasing tf2 where everyone plays the Scout. The game play was pretty unchanging. :(

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2015, 05:21:46 pm »
Oh, before GOIO, my steampunk needs were met by Renaissance Heroes. The debs closed it down due to lack of interest.
Well.. it was an Aesthetically pleasing tf2 where everyone plays the Scout. The game play was pretty unchanging. :(
That sounds like my dream game :D Not that tf2 is ugly it had very nice art style, at least stock. New cosmetics look ugly.

I love the concept of tribes but unfortunately have no access to a windows PC. However there's a really nice 2d shooter called Teeworlds with tight sliding/grappling/rocketjumping mechanics that enable pretty insane maneuvers, and the weapons are projectile-based forcing prediction. It feels similar to tribes, and there are impressive videos on youtube of what people can accomplish.

@alistair how are the formation/tactics mechanics? Do they use the awesome hw1 system or the hw2 system? It was fun toggling between agressive/evasive tactics, or setting up corvettes around a miner in a sphere formation to defend against harassing light craft.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2015, 05:49:07 pm »
Tribes:Ascend is the reason I am in Guns of Icarus. It was a great game until the devs stopped supporting it.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2015, 05:51:42 pm »
In all honesty I haven't played Tribes Ascend in over a year. I am a big fan of the tribes franchise and I think it scratches some of the same gaming itches that GOI scratches, which is why I brought it up. Call me an old fogie but I couldn't get into tribes Ascend because the weapon physics were different than the Tribes games I played in my youth. I couldn't get used to the player's momentum being added to the projectile velocity. Also Tribes Vengeance (last installment in the franchise) had a frikken grappling hook and Ascend did not. How can you take away a grappeling hook from a game about human jetpack ballistics?

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2015, 06:58:27 pm »
My favourite:
Arcanum Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

Recent played (excluding GOIO)
BLOOD (I love old RPG's and maze-FPS games from the second half of 90')

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2015, 12:02:14 am »
BLOOD! Used to carry that around on my school flash drive. They gave us too much free time
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:05:40 am by BlackenedPies »

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2015, 02:45:35 am »
When a dev team takes something away from their franchise they're doing something wrong. (Elder Scrolls magic and skills system.) Tribes grappling hook...

Although at least they didn't do an EA...
"Lets add so much **** everyone will forget the feature we don't like!

Oh some.other games I used to play...
(Mr Disaster said to avoid long lists, so just for you Mr D! 8) )

Simon the sorcerer. Great for a laugh!
Simon the sorcerer II. A great addition to the series, very funny and fun.
Simon the sorcerer 3D. I cried... Years of funding, encouraging the devs and waiting for this game, like seriously... Years.... And it was so concentrated on being 3D they ignored Story Line, quality of voice acting, jokes.... bugs... By god the bugs.. I played it as much as I physically could but the fix to a bug stopping me.completing the game means I'll never know what happened at the end...

Feeble Files. Funny, Omni presence, Space Bike, couldn't ask for much more :)

Odd worlds odyssey, my Uncle got this for me as a gift, I remember playing it like mad, now I see its on steam!!!

Mega drive: Sonic the hedgehog. - because, Sonic.

Soo many games... Not enough time...
Must build time.machine too...

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2015, 04:26:03 am »
BLOOD! Used to carry that around on my school flash drive. They gave us too much free time

I bet you know that, but you can buy Blood on GOG and it will be working under even this live abomination which is Windows 8. Just don't change your screen resolution.

Offline GurasOguras

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2015, 06:34:18 pm »
I spent countless amount of hours playing Warcraft III RoC in my childhood. Probably more than all other games combined together. Then I went through a lot of amazing games including Team Fortress 2, Battlefield 3, Tribes:Ascend, Minecraft and eventually Guns Of Icarus Online. Currently my main game I play everyday since a year is osu! (got bored of standard and moved into Catch The Beat gamemode)

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2015, 07:12:53 pm »
The reason I play so rarely recently is not that I'm fed up with game or something - it is the bloody KOTOR2: The Sith Lords. Goddammit.

Offline Mr. Goggles

• Salutes: 11
    • [Nya~]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2015, 09:06:16 am »
Other than GoIO, I play Payday 2. That is really it. And I sprinkle a few RPGs in there every now and then.

Offline DrTentacles

• Salutes: 30
    • [GSR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2015, 01:04:28 pm »
^^ Nice. I'm replaying that for the fifth or sixth time right now.