Author Topic: AI nerf  (Read 19222 times)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
AI nerf
« on: February 23, 2015, 04:12:18 pm »
Since my return to guns last year at around october I noticed AI were super nerfed to what they were before. This nerf being this very obviously felt as well as seen delay on AI actually using their tools.

But even then the AI knew to prioritise key parts like engines over guns.

Now though I feel they've been nerfed even more as priorities on parts has been changed around. I see engines on fire not ever getting put out.

I see broken engines while AI fixes broken guns.

Add in the nerf of this delay they've been given and they play like novices. AI were my saving grace of a terrible crew. Why have you taken that away from me?

I've also noticed AI prioritising permahull guns over hull breaker guns as b4.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 04:14:01 pm by Maximillian Jazzhand »

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Re: AI nerf
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 04:26:46 pm »
I'm sure more people can back me up in saying that AI have always been bad. I never remember a time when they were really good, and I think you're just remembering things incorrectly

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 04:31:39 pm »
AI has always been bad. The only patch i remember to AI behavior actually improved their pathing around a few ships.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 05:03:20 pm »
AI has always been terrible. I'm not sure what's convinced you that they're some how worse than they were as some previous point.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 02:31:53 am »
It has happened.

The first AI to surpass the regular AI: Maximillian Jazzhand!!!

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 09:42:17 am »
When you are in novice, AIs seem overpowered (they are far superior to fresh engineers).

Infact, when I was in novice, I won several games on a metamidion with nothing but AIs.

But once you meet better engineers, and do some engineering yourself, it's evident that AIs are far inferior.

So, it might be your perspective that was buffed, not the AIs who were nerfed.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 08:44:01 pm »
Thats thing going by the old lvls

I had always played at the lvl of a lvl 5 from novice. Keep out of arc of guns, feel out reload times, position to give arc on key parts while not in arc of enemy arcs, etc.

All done albeit slugglishly as I practiced with little to no tools use. And I still seldom do as they are my emergency actions (tho with increasing exposure to high lvl play I have felt my handing being forced on their usage).

AI did their job back when I use to play. I remember very correctly that AI put out fires that existed on the ship when hull was fine. I remember my engines coming back when hull and balloon were fine. AI taught me the part priorities for crying out loud. They fixed broken parts at a specific order (I remember this clearly as I always planned around it) and rapidly used the tools to do so.

Like say all the parts just went out. They'd rush to balloon, then rush to hull, then rush to engines (turning first). Rebuild then 1 mallet hit then move on to next part.

And then go to guns after everything else is about 90%

Now? I see the same scenario where my engines are on fire and all key parts are fine. But my engine is still left on fire until it breaks and I swear they're like scared to fix it. Even though hull and balloon are 100%. wait. wtf you doing fixing that gun AI?

No! that is not the AI I very very clearly remember.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 12:24:41 am »
Still rather have an AI that some players of this game...enter the level 7 engineer...stands looking at destroyed engine then speaks "hey the engine is dead!"...doesn't fix or rebuild...just stares at it, and lets you know...

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 12:47:09 am »
Still rather have an AI that some players of this game...enter the level 7 engineer...stands looking at destroyed engine then speaks "hey the engine is dead!"...doesn't fix or rebuild...just stares at it, and lets you know...

thats the point. the AI don't even. they do pretty much the same thing now.

Lets talk tools here. If you set AI to repair and put on kerosene, do you expect your engines to break? Well guess what they do break. While b4 you could moonshine and expect proper repairing, not indefinitely but definitely for a long time. Now? those engines are gone in seconds.

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 01:18:38 am »
Seems pretty redundant to me that muse would impair the AI repair and decision making abilities... If they would change anything about them to me it seems like they would only make them better - since they are a lot worse than most players in the game. Novice or not, they are, and always have been this way... But hey, that's just me.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 01:31:29 am »
AI used to be really really good early on in better, at least on the guns. They had scary high accuracy at long ranges. This has obviously been adjusted.

A good number of patches ago, AI were still pretty bad, but not outright terrible. Then things changed and AI weren't updated to deal with the changes. Ammos have been adjusted and what used to be just fine for AI is now kinda sucky. AI don't seem to be capable of shooting what they should be shooting either. I've seen AI load clip after clip into the hull with carronade and shoot the gat in a weird series of short bursts, sometimes just going for the balloon. Other times they'll pump out a whole clip before they're even in range/arc of something.

I'd love to see them adjusted at some point, but at the same time that should be really low on the priority list of things to do. So 'some day' maybe. I guess I wouldn't mind that much if they stay as is.

Offline Sarabelle Marlowe

• Salutes: 25
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 03:10:17 am »
Something I'd like is that if there is a full clip of special ammo for the AI not to automatically reload it. Often if I'm on, say, a galleon I like to load the guns to be ready the second I need them. Then someone drops, the AI spawn in, reload any gun they get to and walk off, knowing smugly they have miffed me (especially with the hwatcha, I swear to ancestors the AI zero in on them). While I like the idea they reload in the first place, if it already has a full clip then it's just annoying. At least at a person I can threaten to throw them overboard for switching my ammo. 

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 03:39:33 am »
Randomized ammo for AI. Cept Loch. Course then it might use one you don't want at the wrong time. But then again, it might use one you do.