Author Topic: GOIA memes  (Read 557094 times)

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: GOIO memes
« Reply #495 on: June 06, 2015, 10:48:05 am »
Carn's reaction when I'm not on a Goldfish's front gun:

You know what's funny?

He is right.

"He"

A pronoun with no antecedent.

WHO???

He == Carn.

And I meant he has full right doing so, for it's retarded.
The only acceptable reason for a gunner to leave the bloody front gun is your gun being overheated. And even then said gunner should not run all around the bloody ship, unless the engies are communicative, so they can tell you that they have cooled/extinguished your weapon. But still - when you have 8+ stacks on gun, all you need is to wait for engie to pass you by and help you or waiting for the gun to go down and rebuilding it yourself.

Side guns are for - imagine that - engineers.

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 06, 2015, 11:03:39 am »
He was doing it when there weren't any serious repairs either. So it made me spas even more. Then the entire lobby, except me disconnected, I won by default. Weirdest win ever.

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 06, 2015, 11:24:15 am »

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 06, 2015, 11:54:42 am »
He was doing it when there weren't any serious repairs either. So it made me spas even more. Then the entire lobby, except me disconnected, I won by default. Weirdest win ever.

Yeah, that was the lobby crashing.

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 06, 2015, 12:15:39 pm »

Yeah, that was the lobby crashing.
It counted as a win for me......then my game crashed. So I basically won because I DCed last.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 06, 2015, 12:24:04 pm »
Friend every good player and you won't have to MM.
But I like having rivalries with half the vet community....

Good players doesn't mean vets. Most of my friends list is pubs who listen and communicate.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #501 on: June 06, 2015, 03:14:12 pm »

Good players doesn't mean vets. Most of my friends list is pubs who listen and communicate.

Ditto, I also think MM takes friends list into account in some part.

Also I've been thinking, the term Vet may need looking at.

I see a Vet as someone who has grasped the basics of gameplay and communication with a few games under their belt. To me a "vet" does not need to be a pro, just be a nice person to be around who has been around enough to be recognisable.

Better to distinguish "vets" and "mlg pros" ;)

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 06, 2015, 06:23:28 pm »
For the love of god, can we retire the word "vet" please

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 06, 2015, 06:32:21 pm »
I honestly don't understand what we all have against veterinarians. 8)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #504 on: June 06, 2015, 09:04:30 pm »

well basically technical vets (hi lvls) that are not up to my standard of what a vet is (like the 5 major competitive clans of olde-who those clans were? compete for it)

Basically I don't like adding "vets" that don't play at least the quality of old lvl 10. With me at old lvl 10 as my point of reference (technically I'm old lvl 13 now).

I mean I can rely on rowho to do his job correctly. I never have to check his work. And in turn he knows I'll give him the win he wants because he trusts in my skills and tactical ability.

Those kinda ppl are what I consider friends in the game sense.

Heres another case study for you.

Me and rowho and Rinn were on the first dev match. We were crew to one of these supposed vets. lvl wise everyone's averages tallied up to us having a technical advantage with more supposedly skilful pilots and crew.

This "vet" let 4 ships escape. And for each kill we died, because of idiotic positioning (killing that one retreating ship into the arcs of two enemy teammates was so smart... we all saw it coming except this "vet"), arcs were constantly wonky as lower lvled pilots outsmarted this "vet."

Next time. This "vet" was on an opposing team. I was the pilot. Rowho was glad of it. He knew I could turn this around.

Match ended 7-1 with a muse ship dying on our end. If I didnt pilot on that session. Rowho wouldn't have gotten the dev match win he wanted.

Do I count as a friend / Rival to play and hopefully win with?

I always like a challenge and a good cooperative match with friends.  :)

Yes mann ur on the list.

well kamo... that will be my definition of a "vet."

But a vet to me is a person I can rely on to do his work correctly without having me constantly lose focus because I have to check what you're doing. And I'm going to keep using that word to refer to that calibre of people. And I think alot of people think in a similar vein.

To call people of less calibre to that (its not even asking that large a calibre-I'm not asking for a old lvl 15s here), vets, merely from your definition wrinkles my nose in pedantic disgust. But whatever.

@logic. you can retire it if you want. But its a word permeated in the community lexicon. Good luck getting others to stop using it.

A veteran by the actual historic term if a guy that fought a battle or two and lived. And as such, they continue to live because of the prowess given to them by experience (or else they'd be dead).

As such in respect to that use of the word. I correlate my use of the word to that. Where the experience is proportionately reflected by demonstrated prowess.

No one dies in guns. Theres no crippling punishment for playing badly. So merely having a hi lvl/match count doesn't get you vet lvl prowess (as any idiot can get exp and grind lvls and matches). Hence the dissonance of your use of the word.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 07, 2015, 03:56:36 am »
Just found this  :D

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 07, 2015, 04:49:24 am »
^
Good one. Also - painfullly true.

Yes, Logicalia. :D
Retire the word "veteran". :D
Just when I finally broke number 1000 of matches played and ACTUALLY can feel like I'm one. :D

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 07, 2015, 05:44:23 am »
No one dies in guns. Theres no crippling punishment for playing badly. So merely having a hi lvl/match count doesn't get you vet lvl prowess (as any idiot can get exp and grind lvls and matches). Hence the dissonance of your use of the word.

Well you can be a vet player in experience but be so-so overall.  In actuality there are two kinds of veteran players. Those who have knowledge and experience but never apply it further. Then those who have both but strive to become better. That marks the split off into competitive players.

The difference between a veteran and a competitive player is simple. The veteran player accepts when odds are impossible and looks to the next respawn. The competitive player refuses to give up till the end. They'll fight, claw, and do whatever it takes to turn the tables. Even for small gains, they'll press hard. Veteran players you can turn your back to, competitive players...even if they have a pixel of hp left, they refuse to give in and if you turn your back on them, they'll cram a cannon up your backside.

One of the first lessons I teach new players when they ask how they can get better in piloting is: fly like your ship matters. Consider it's life more important than anything else. Only then can you be an asset to someone else. If your ally can't do the same, if they are too enemy focused, they'll just die over and over and over again. Know your own limits before you know the limits of your foes.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #508 on: June 07, 2015, 08:37:33 am »

Well you can be a vet player in experience but be so-so overall.  In actuality there are two kinds of veteran players. Those who have knowledge and experience but never apply it further. Then those who have both but strive to become better. That marks the split off into competitive players.

The difference between a veteran and a competitive player is simple. The veteran player accepts when odds are impossible and looks to the next respawn. The competitive player refuses to give up till the end. They'll fight, claw, and do whatever it takes to turn the tables. Even for small gains, they'll press hard. Veteran players you can turn your back to, competitive players...even if they have a pixel of hp left, they refuse to give in and if you turn your back on them, they'll cram a cannon up your backside.

One of the first lessons I teach new players when they ask how they can get better in piloting is: fly like your ship matters. Consider it's life more important than anything else. Only then can you be an asset to someone else. If your ally can't do the same, if they are too enemy focused, they'll just die over and over and over again. Know your own limits before you know the limits of your foes.

Saluted, because I agree :)

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 07, 2015, 09:59:51 am »
I always assumed veterans are the people that played the game for a very long time or started a long time ago and managed to be on an experience level which would make them competitively viable (that somehow sounds mean). Basically: Old players. Y'all kids don't know how it was when Get/Flak was the Metamidion.

Oh noes, I saluted Gilder