Author Topic: GOIA memes  (Read 557066 times)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Re: GOIO memes
« Reply #465 on: June 05, 2015, 05:37:55 pm »
To be fair, some backseat drivers know what they are talking about:

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 05, 2015, 05:56:49 pm »
Lets no go equating "gay" with stupid and poor performing newbies. It is in insult to gay people.

I distinguish "gay" and "homosexual" people from "a bloody faggot".

"Gay" or "homosexual" - are people of different orientation I respect.

"Faggot"/"fag" - Somebody said once, that religion is like penis. You have a right to cherish it, but for fucks sake, don't show it off in public. The same goes for sexual orientation. HENCE it's stupidity. And because the behaviour described is about stupidity embodied, I don't see any logical counter-argument for using that gif.

And I believe normal homosexual people think of those I tried to describe as "faggots" as a shame.
Just like you think of me as a black sheep of this forum. :P

What's more, look at her face - this is one of three possible reactions one idiot like that might get when pissing me off - the others are yelling if I'm already fed up ( sales - ooh happy times ), and relocating either to a different lobby or the other side (or ship), taking the munker and - mandatory spam reports.

By the way, am I the only person here thinking she's goddamn cute?

Though if somebody need me to clarify: I meant no disrespect for homosexual people. Only for dumbasses.

And I'm sorry if somebody felt insulted. ^^
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 05:59:27 pm by Schwalbe »

Offline Major-Malice

• Salutes: 3
    • [✧¥E✧]
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 05, 2015, 07:04:46 pm »
Keep in mind there is an asymmetry here. I had two bad experiences total with vet crew in my early days. Both were problems with communication. I have enough stories of novice pilots not listening to fill the Vatican Secret Archives, most of them are pilots who are told X is bad, X is easily avoidable, and they do X again, repeatedly. Usually I'm nice but sometimes I make my point more grumpily. Like the guy who was told ramming was a bad idea in a metamidion and went on to do it five more times getting us killed on four out of the five occasions. Or the guy who wouldn't turn impact bumpers off and couldn't understand why his ship couldn't bring guns to bear even after I explained it, three times. Or the guy who set up an ambush, on our enemies spawn, when both enemy ships were in the middle of the canyons over a kilometre away killing our ally, and I informed them politely for the second time, and so they rage quit. Or the guy who brought double flak pyra in spite of me telling them over and over that it is a weak build. Or the guy who wouldn't turn off hydrogen. And on, and on, and on. None of these things are difficult to avoid (the instruction 'press the one key and the balloon will stop taking damage' is about as simple as it gets). Making these mistakes once is fair enough, folks gotta learn, but so many players think they know better than the person with hundreds or thousands of games under their belt. And way to many people pilot without sufficient experience.

Vets who bash novices and back seat drive suck, but considering the crap we have to deal with this is, on the whole, an exceptionally tolerant community. Sounds like you had a crappy experience Major-Malice, and I'm sorry to hear about that. But keep in mind when you get terse comments from experienced pilots that they have virtually no means of controlling who they get paired with (there is no kick function), match maker frequently (perhaps more frequently) pairs them with very derpy folks, and you are the third person today who they have had to politely inform that hwacha galleons with mortars in the light guns aren't the best idea ever. Oh and the last two didn't change their guns even though they were given a careful explanation of the damage mechanics. Oh and one of them said they would, but changed their mind because Lion gun OP shut up 720 noscope pro mlg swag. Then they spent the next 15 minutes blaming said vet because without piercing damage said galleon couldn't get a kill. Also they kept ramming. The mountain. With moonshine. In reverse. And then they ate a puppy.

It's no big deal. I just posted that image because I thought other folks would be able to relate to dealing with back seat captains. I didn't mean for this to turn into "Vets/newbies gripe about their bad experiences with each other" XD. Evidently I shouldn't of posted it since it seems to have rankled some feathers.

Anyway, it was a bad experience and yes the community as a whole is very welcoming and kind, but every once and a while you'll get some jerk be it newbie or vet and that was the basis for the joke. Everyone just relax! Let's get back to the memes. :P

Offline nanoduckling

• Salutes: 116
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 05, 2015, 07:07:08 pm »
Indeed. Mostly I just want to see more pictures of puppies.

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 05, 2015, 07:14:22 pm »
Lets no go equating "gay" with stupid and poor performing newbies. It is in insult to gay people.

I distinguish "gay" and "homosexual" people from "a bloody faggot".

"Gay" or "homosexual" - are people of different orientation I respect.

"Faggot"/"fag" - Somebody said once, that religion is like penis. You have a right to cherish it, but for fucks sake, don't show it off in public. The same goes for sexual orientation. HENCE it's stupidity. And because the behaviour described is about stupidity embodied, I don't see any logical counter-argument for using that gif.

And I believe normal homosexual people think of those I tried to describe as "faggots" as a shame.
Just like you think of me as a black sheep of this forum. :P

What's more, look at her face - this is one of three possible reactions one idiot like that might get when pissing me off - the others are yelling if I'm already fed up ( sales - ooh happy times ), and relocating either to a different lobby or the other side (or ship), taking the munker and - mandatory spam reports.

By the way, am I the only person here thinking she's goddamn cute?

Though if somebody need me to clarify: I meant no disrespect for homosexual people. Only for dumbasses.

And I'm sorry if somebody felt insulted. ^^
Honestly in this day and age, I don't even associate the word for homosexual people. I'm going on more of the South Park view, meaning if a group of people are being loud, annoying, disruptive, and trying to be the center of attention. That is what I consider the word to mean, even if that's not the official meaning.

But yes, more puppies with text relating to the game please.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 05, 2015, 09:01:27 pm »
Quote from: Shwalbe
I distinguish "gay" and "homosexual" people from "a bloody faggot" [...]
No more.
The same is said by racists to distinguish between "normal black people" and "niggers". The N and F words are hate words used for discriminating. Instead of clarifying intent it's easier to use a different word.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 09:14:50 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 05, 2015, 09:14:23 pm »
Can we agree that a meme thread for a steampunk game, isn't the best place to argue serious ethical social issues?

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 05, 2015, 09:22:22 pm »
Drawn by a SAC member 1+ year ago

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #473 on: June 05, 2015, 09:23:47 pm »
Here's a case study for you.

Scrub pilot has meta pyra.
With art carousel side guns.

I was gunning, so naturally I'm the gat guy (the one gun holding this trash heap together).

He faces off against another meta used correctly.

What he thinks is effective is waiting for hull break and hard clawing (while being shot at), and giving arc to side guns and ordering his engies to mount side guns.

As we vets know several problems with this.

1. Pyramidions arent exactly the most mobile ships and their turning speed is pretty meh.
2. engies on guns are engies not fixing that hull.
3. side guns expose the engines-mortar shots+claw=bye bye engines.
4. this tactic assumes the other ships are too stupid to fix a hull as the delay in arcs is fatally flawed.
5. did you join totalbiscuit's school of piloting?

I explained all this. Nop just keeps doing it and keeps dying to the meta that simply faced his front guns and rammed.

By death 4 in the exact same way... naturally I get a bit miffed.

This pattern of scrubs not listening to vets is bad enough... but for noobs to simple not have the common sense to know that the time taken to give arc, an engie madly spannering the helm means your window to do any dmg is like 1 second.

SUCH A THING SHOULD BE COMMON SENSE.

I feel especially sick when I help them win and they congratulate themselves on a job well done.

My god that feeling is the worst.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 09:27:41 pm by Maximillian Jazzhand »

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 05, 2015, 10:00:55 pm »
Quote from: Shwalbe
I distinguish "gay" and "homosexual" people from "a bloody faggot" [...]
No more.
The same is said by racists to distinguish between "normal black people" and "niggers". The N and F words are hate words used for discriminating. Instead of clarifying intent it's easier to use a different word.

What faggot means, by Louis CK

"Faggot" in Urban Dictionary

I mean, he didn't use this word to express his hate to that person as a homosexual. He just meant sth like 'a stupid, annoying (unmanly) person'.

Also, as Carn said, I think this word is used in more south-park kind of way. I'm not discussing the word 'nigger' because.... well, my country is very ethnicly - clean* so I've only seen a black person once and I've never heard this word in real life, so I don't feel entitled to discuss.

*of course I don't mean ethnicly-clean = only white people or any of this kind of bullshit, I mean it as not much people from abroad coming here and/or settling, just stating the fact

5. did you join totalbiscuit's school of piloting?

This. Just this.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 05, 2015, 10:09:19 pm »
I love South Park and Louie and they say it to make a point. This is a meme forum post and not the place. Please don't post without context and it's easier not to.

No one taught total biscuit how to fly, angry Joe to shoot, or any youtuber to play.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 10:19:41 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 05, 2015, 10:18:00 pm »
Can we agree that a meme thread for a steampunk game, isn't the best place to argue serious ethical social issues?
Again please, this really isn't the place.

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 05, 2015, 10:27:53 pm »
Carn's reaction when I'm not on a Goldfish's front gun:

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #478 on: June 05, 2015, 10:37:00 pm »
I love South Park and Louie and they say it to make a point. This is a meme forum post and not the place. Please don't post without context and it's easier not to.

No one taught total biscuit how to fly, angry Joe to shoot, or any youtuber to play.

no one taught me but I still used my common sense to point front guns forward and face target until it is dead.

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 05, 2015, 10:39:10 pm »
Carn's reaction when I'm not on a Goldfish's front gun:

Its gunner 101! Don't get off the front gun of a Goldfish, unless the Captain says to. And most won't because any Goldfish pilot with any sense and a bit of skill will try to keep you i arc, only turning out of it, when the main is reloading, so an engie can continue to fire and deal constant damage.