Author Topic: Ammo crank (or hammer): ENGINEER tool.  (Read 3980 times)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Ammo crank (or hammer): ENGINEER tool.
« on: February 22, 2015, 01:25:01 pm »
There have been quite a few ideas and threads about a gunner tool that would reload the gun faster. It always seemed strange to me to give a gunner a tool like that. Then it occurred to me that there has been a push in tools and mechanics to individualize the classes. I don't mean make them more unique. I mean make them need each other less. This is a team game, and as such, all things added to the game should be teamwork orientated.

I revisited the ammo crank idea with that in mind, and thought, no, it should not be a gunner tool. It should be an engineer tool. It should have a substantial effect on reload times. And, (this is key) it should only work if someone is sitting in the gunner seat reloading normally, and a SECOND crew member is using the tool from off the gun. The tool would do nothing if the gun is not crewed. This, in effect, makes peak gun performance a two crew job.

-OR- rather than create an entirely new tool, it could be an interesting idea to give this new role to the buff hammer, while removing any passive DPS increases. Make the buff hammer increase reload speeds (this was tested and worked in DevApp already), but reduce the hits needed for full buff to 1, and make the buff last for the time period of 1 hit. This would effectively make it a constant use tool. Increased arcs and reduced recoil would also be great additions with this idea. Perhaps even leave in the DPS increase. A 'hotseat' mechanic would be all that is needed after that.

Combining two crew members in this way would drastically increase your firepower ability on a single gun. It would make the buff hammer pointless for a Gungineer to take, and would create the new virtual class 'Gun team'. Goldfish would become much more scary.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 01:27:22 pm by Richard LeMoon »

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Ammo crank (or hammer): ENGINEER tool.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 02:09:51 pm »
It still does not really make the gunner more wanted.

This nerfs gunengineers or engineers role with a gun to instead be forced to teamwork, which is cool.
But whoever is sitting on the gun can be another engineer. It doesnt exactly enhance gunners either other than how they are now.
With this, i am still not tempted to have a gunner on a light gun ship or a ship i normaly have full engineer crew on.

This simply makes gunners however they are best used today, better... doesnt make them more versitile or important in a ship. Just how they are now made stronger.

The idea of teamwork is a cool feature. Which sparks up all other kinds of ideas. And you know what, it is needed. That emphasis on using tools for other classes to perform better is a good direction. We allready have engineers buffing for the other class, naming pilot. But i feel there could be more direct teamwork approaches. Currently all classes even if they are individual still do teamwork to make the ship work. Its just not directly tool wise or mechanicly.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 02:34:33 pm »
Yes, this was not about making the gunner better or more desirable, though it could with the right effects. If the buff effect would be to increase gun arcs and reduce recoil as well as other good effects, that would buff the gunner (or engie) in the hotseat, which would in turn buff the pilot abilities. A veritable cascade of teamwork. Honestly, this would be a direct buff to the Goldfish and Squid, allowing active teamwork to give better arcs and firepower on fewer guns. It could also be a buff to having a Galleon with a long and short range gun on one side.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 05:17:22 pm »
To a degree it also sacrifices/nerfs the situation.

Having a gun prebuffed for someone else to use then buffed at the right moment to then go do something else is what an engineer should do.
But i still appriciate the teamworking effort from your idea.

Im on the first idea where it is a tool in itself because that makes the engineer having to choose and thus creates a conflict of choice.
But then again, would be nice if the gunner would get something. Like, as much as i like the dev app thingies for the gunner (Stam*cough*) and makes me want to have 2 gunners at somepoint its radical, but without it, its the tottal opposite. Sorry, i just want 2 gunners :|

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 05:00:21 am »
Well Crafek. When i played a while ago i was a strong engie and managed to keep a junker alive alone, I aim to be as good as that again. When i do i don't mind being your solo engie so double gunner can happen :)