Author Topic: Questions about the GUNNER  (Read 50754 times)

Offline Fleet Admiral Abrams

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 7
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
Questions about the GUNNER
« on: February 22, 2013, 08:10:36 pm »
Hello all you Gunners out there.

I'm Mark Abrams and i'm here to answer your questions about the Gunner Class of GoiO.

Feel free to ask.

Offline Skroo

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about the GUNNER
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 08:00:29 am »
Ammo types?

Haven't really figured out whilch ones are good for what situations. The low-recoil seems best for long range shots but the others are a bit of a mystery still.

Offline Fleet Admiral Abrams

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 7
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 10:40:28 am »
It depends on wich Gun you are going to use.

For example, if you have a weapon with a high bulletdrop (Heavy Flak,Lumberjack,Mortar) use Lesmokrounds in it to increas the range and making aiming easier for you.
Heavy Clips are good for weapons with a big bulletspread (Gatling,Carronade,Manticore,Small Flak and Banshee) all these weapons are mostly used in mid down to low range battles.
Burst Rounds are good on weapons with a big basic AoE (Manticore,Lumberjack,Mortar,Banshee) by using this rounds u can deal damage to a lot of ship components at the same time.
Incindary Rounds are uses to set ship components on fire, weapons wich are good for this ammo type should have a high rate of fire and big clip size (Manticore,gatling,Banshee).
Heatsink Rounds making your gun oviously fire proof and you get a bit more clip size for sacrificing a bit damage.
Greased Rounds sacrificing damage for a 60% higher rate of fire and 20% bigger clips, good on weapons with a good basic rate of fire ad big clips (Banshee,Gatling,Small Carronade,Mortar).
Charged Rounds sacrificing clip size and rate of fire for 30% more damage, wich is ood on all weapos with a good basic damage per shot (Heavy Flak,Lumberjack,Mercury Fieldgun).
The last one is the Lochnaga Shot it reduces your clip down to one shot removes recoil slows down the bullet and it deals 175 points of damage to gun wich fires it, but u get 150% mor dmamge out of this shot. At the momoent there are only three guns wich can really use it the Heavy Flak, Mercury Fieldgun and the Heavy Carronade.

All in all you should use the rounds to increas the benefits of the weapons and reduce the weaken of them while not sacrificing to much damage.

The rest is all about hitting the target, wich is a combination of motionprediction of your ship, the enemys ship and the bullet it self. Sounds hard but with a bit training you don't even have to think about it while shooting.

Another important point is the comunication with your captain, on some ships its hard for the captain to see if a enemy is in angle for your gun or not, (a working microphone is very useful on this point) so u can tell him/her "a bit more to the right/left/up/down".

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 11:03:48 am »
Not forgetting the special circumstances ammunition..

Lesmok - very useful for increasing the range of the flamethrower

Incendiary - because ot reduces the projectile velocity it reduces the arming range for the Lumberjack and the Heavy Flak, the arming time remains comstant, but the distance travelled by the prokectile in that time is reduced.  There's an equivilant range reduction for any wespon using this.

Knowing when to switch ammunition is a trick to learn.  You can switch during a regular reload without penalty, but switching with a loaded or part-loaded clip will force a reload.  Most weapons will benefit from two ammunition types, one for use at longer range and one for use at closer range.  For example, with the gatling it's common to load with Heavy at long range and switch to Burst as the enemy closes (some Gunners will prefer Greased, Charged or Incendiary - I prefer Burst).

Long range ammunition choices tend to be Heavy Clip, Lesmok or Lochnagar.

Close range ammunition choices tend to be Burst, Charged, Incendiary or Greased.

Heatsink is a special purpose ammuntion when facing an enemy with a flamethrower that you suspect may get close enough to use it.

Choosing one long range, one close range and heatsink is a reasonable default ammunition load for a Gunner.  But check the ship you're on to adapt your load to suit the ship, it's weapons and your opponents.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 05:21:34 pm »
I hear that people are using the heatsink and heavy clip muzzle velocity reduction to get around the arming time on the flack and lumberjack. Has anyone gotten this to work effectively?

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 10:25:44 am »
I hear that people are using the heatsink and heavy clip muzzle velocity reduction to get around the arming time on the flack and lumberjack. Has anyone gotten this to work effectively?

I typically use heavy or incendiary ammo for that. Heatsink would work too in theory, with a damage reduction though, and no ammo kills off the arming time entirely. But yes for arming time guns you typically have a long range ammo, and a short range ammo which slows the rounds down so you can let the arming kick in.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 05:15:11 pm »
I've been playing for a bit, and I guess I just need more time with this, but does anyone have any tips on effectively using the Scylla?

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 05:41:03 pm »
I've been playing for a bit, and I guess I just need more time with this, but does anyone have any tips on effectively using the Scylla?

Apart from practicing with it (that one's a bit obvious), I'd recommend trying Lesmok on it. It makes it quite a bit easier to hit with thanks to the reduced drop.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 05:44:22 pm »

Practice.. and Sandbox.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 05:45:45 pm »
Ha... I figured that was coming :P thanks

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 05:49:35 pm »

Sorry if we can't provide much advice other than that (to be fair, I did mention Lesmok). There just really isn't much else to do. Practice, learn how much it drops, how far it goes, etc.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 11:49:43 pm »

Sorry if we can't provide much advice other than that (to be fair, I did mention Lesmok). There just really isn't much else to do. Practice, learn how much it drops, how far it goes, etc.

ha not a problem... tbh, I new I was going to have to play in sandbox for this anyway... lesmok is a good tip, and i do already implement it...

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 12:28:20 pm »
Apart from practice and lesmok rounds I suggest flying with a captain that will drive within spitting distance of a target. The mortar may have a long max range but its effective range is about the same as a carronade.

Offline TheMick

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 03:56:46 pm »
what about playing engineer as a gunner?

by that I do not mean pretending to be something you're not, but how do you guys tackle repairs as a gunner? do you just try to stick to maintaining guns, or only repairing when prompted by captain? which repair tool do you bring? (I can only assume spanner or pipe wrench)

I'd like to play a dedicated gunner but my gut always forces me to tend toward minding my ship, I get the sense that a little bit of self restraint is necessary, and its certainly evident in the number of newer gunners I've seen banging away on the armor at the same time as their engineer buddy(ies).

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 04:00:02 pm »
I typically bring a pipe wrench with me when I gun... It's kinda the middle of the spanner and hammer... I typically repair my own weapon, and only move to repair other components on the captains request.... The main job of the gunner, is to disable the opponents components, before they do yours...