Author Topic: Creative Pyramidion Builds  (Read 11804 times)

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
Creative Pyramidion Builds
« on: February 19, 2015, 03:29:07 pm »
I'm rather getting tired of fighting all these Metemidions. They're good, but it's starting to feel like Diablo II up here. All the same builds, all the same tactics.

And I've stopped flying Pyramidions. Used to be my favorite ship, but now it's a little mundane.

So, say, does anybody have creative Pyramidion builds? One that isn't gat-mortar or flame-carro? Maybe something that uses the broadside, or the trifecta. Anything?

Offline Kestril

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
Re: Creative Pyramidion Builds
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 03:39:38 pm »
Mines + Banshee + Flamer trifecta will shut an opponent down an opponent in short order, will a kill soon to follow

Offline DrTentacles

• Salutes: 30
    • [GSR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 03:54:11 pm »
For mid-to-long range, Artemis, Hades, Artemis is a good combination. It lets you get three guns on target, with easier repair cycles than a long-range Mobula and same firepower. The Hades strips hull, and does good perma damage, while the artemii disable guns, and provide the kill. It requires good gunning, and benefits from height advantage, with the trifecta being near the first band of the portside cockpit.

For a closer-range build, you can also replace the hades with a gat, and keep the trifecta.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 04:06:44 pm »
It requires good gunning, and benefits from height advantage,

Yea, Pyra is unique in that the front guns are pretty high up on the ship. Gunner is often shooting down onto the enemy. More builds that uses this advantage, pls! :)

Offline Lieutenant Noir

• Salutes: 17
    • [❤™]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 04:11:17 pm »
I saw one SPQR pyra that was pretty interesting

Broad side double artemis
Balloon side artemis
Top right mine launcher

You got triple artemis for sticking to range
and a mine pyra for when they get up close

Offline DrTentacles

• Salutes: 30
    • [GSR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 04:12:17 pm »
Double Carronade is painfully effective build, as well. When I was a bit less experienced than I am now, I got 5-0ed by a troll ship that had artificially kept their levels low using that build. I went in expecting a pup-stomp. (They were a bunch of levels 2-3) in pre-matchmaker Icarus, and I assumed they had no idea what they were doing.

They spent the entire chat spamming "Lion Gun Stronk!" in chat, disabling my balloons, engines, and most importantly, gun.

Use heavy clip on the carros, and run with full engi crew for max effectiveness.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 04:35:27 pm »
Quodfecta artemis. It only really works on dunes but it is a lovely sound hearing 4 guns shooting at once.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 04:40:24 pm »
Double Carronade is painfully effective build, as well. When I was a bit less experienced than I am now, I got 5-0ed by a troll ship that had artificially kept their levels low using that build. I went in expecting a pup-stomp. (They were a bunch of levels 2-3) in pre-matchmaker Icarus, and I assumed they had no idea what they were doing.

They spent the entire chat spamming "Lion Gun Stronk!" in chat, disabling my balloons, engines, and most importantly, gun.

Use heavy clip on the carros, and run with full engi crew for max effectiveness.

I know who you're talking about, they were alt accounts. But yes double carro is very effective and I'm very glad it's so rare. I must confess that I used to use it too often.

My favorite is triple mine, but sometimes I switch out the balloon mine for a carro depending on the crew. The key to this is always engaging at an angle for the trifecta. Mine + greased hades is also good but lacks trifecta. There's lots of fun mine pyra builds. Mine pyras are countered most heavily by hades.

Carronade artemis is a good creative build. Another good build is buff heavy clip gat with buff burst artemis. I'm glad to see Kamoba use it in combo with the side banshee too.

Carronade mortar is quite effective and fun. The buffed burst mortar constantly fires at components. It's very effective against weakly armored ships like squids, spires, and goldfish. Ram!

I do love double mortar. When aimed at components, two buffed mortars do heavy disable damage. One clip from each should be enough to break light weapons even if they are repairing them. If you get shots on engines, they're finished. Buffed mortars are surprisingly effective against balloon and armor too, especially without chem spray.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 04:50:40 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 05:03:33 pm »
Well, it used to be creative a while ago, but a gat-carro (or carro-gat ;D ) works out really well. You use heavy clip in the carronade for component sniping, gat for the usual armor strip, then combine that with some ramming. It really dominates most other ships, and in the case of larger ships with lots of guns pointing at you, you can also switch to balloon popping to absolutely secure your air superiority. Ramming while their armor is down does a significant amount of hull damage, but it's going to be a slow kill unless you get them against the ground or some terrain/buildings. You can mix it up with a side artemis or rocket carousel.

You can always go hades-artemis and attempt to throw in an extra artemis on the side for a trifecta. I generally don't recommend relying on the side guns on the pyra, since you really open yourself up, and the pyra doesn't turn well enough if things go wrong. Also when going for a trifecta, you have to ensure that your ship isn't taking a lot of damage; since you want to keep your crew gunning.

If you really want to have fun, get a great gunner and put a mine launcher on the front. This is tricky, because you have to effectively use the mine launcher to deploy the mines right next to the enemy. If you miss, you just have a mine sitting there that anyone can run into. If you hit them directly, it's not going to do anything effective. If you get it just right, it will be the most fun you've had in a long time. I wouldn't go with two mine launchers, but pair it up with an artemis or carronade. This allows for some disables to keep your ship safe, allowing your gunner more time to get those mines to deploy just right.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 05:35:14 pm »
A tip with shooting mines: if they are close try to put it near their side. Especially with lochnagar. This will reduce hitting them directly.
I highly recommend using a loadout that allows for 4 different mine ranges. Lesmok, regular, heatsink/incendiary, lochnagar.
Try shooting them each in practice mode and seeing where they deploy relative to the mine launcher as this can be used for aiming. For example, lesmok lands at the top yellow bar and regular at the bottom yellow bar (depending on arc).

But yeah I wouldn't recommend more than one mine per pyra.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 06:50:47 pm »
I liked the front Carronade/Artemis Pyramidions. Geo used to get me to fly a Pyramidion with a hades and artemis on the side with another artemis on the front. The second front gun was paired with a Carronade, even before the actual front Carronade/Artemis Pyramidions became a thing, just to have some kind of useful gun in close range. It was named "The secret Junker", because with it's trifecta on the side it flew just like one in long range. Why you would want that, I have no idea, but it was awesome. And yes, I have not thought about putting a Gatling there to pair it up with the Artemis.

Another one I like is the front Hades/Mercury Pyramidion. Mercury good at disable and pretty decent at armor destruction. Hades also pertty good at destroying armors, but also kinda ok when dealing hull damage. So you have these two guns that destroy armor and during armor destruction you can snipe components or do some decent hull damage and chip away until they die. A more rammy version would be a Gatling/Mercury on the front. Why not Hades/Artemis instead of Mercury? I like it more.

I also like the Gatling/Flamer Pyramidions and wanted to make a Hades/incendiary Carronade one working. I am still not sure wether I want that or not.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 08:20:48 pm »
The only pyra i can ever fly with joy is on Dunes with Dual merc front, and gat mort side.

That way, you approach and disable. When you have approached the heavily hit ship, you kinda ram but not really, mostly giving off for the side guns.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 10:22:04 pm »
Carro merc on dunes!

Offline Nidh

• Salutes: 16
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 03:05:58 am »
Double Arty top, gat/mortar bottom. Lead with artemis for safe approach with disable. When close, right artemis gunner jumps down to  gat for gat/mortar/arty trifecta, hull engineer hops on mortar to give the finishing blow.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 03:29:25 am »
Triple engineer pyra, loadouts main, spanner mallet chem burst. Front right gunner spanner mallet buff, balloon engineer pipe wrench buff chem (Choice of lesmok, incendiar, loch, or greased)

Gun slot 1, Artemis.
Gun slot 2, Mine launcher or Hades, pref mine launcher.
Gun slot 3, Artemis.
Gun slot 4, Flare, mine or harpoon, it'll hardly be used.

A great brawler build, very effective in 2v2 engagements when the enemy brawlers are trying to close in, the double arte keeps the enemies gatlings disabled, the mine causes havoc to their turning armour, componants, mine is mine.

Used it during a skrim with balanced teams, managed 2 kills when they were trying to close in, was fun!