Author Topic: Engines  (Read 6299 times)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Engines
« on: February 25, 2015, 11:46:39 pm »
One of the most annoying things is engines going out. Why? Well other than being unable to move, it...takes freaken forever to rebuild. You can understand it on large heavy engines but on some of the light ones...it takes a long time to bring them back up. Time which takes engineers away from balloons or hulls.

Squid is probably the biggest example of why the rebuild times suck and have sucked for awhile. It has quad and losing 1 engine out literally disables the entire ship. Often times you have to pre-rebuild engines then wait for the 2nd barrage to put them all up and hope the ship can recover. Just usually with only 3 engines up and not at full power, it is futile. However, often by this time balloon or other components are completely gone.

Other ships...I've been on too many Pyras where they lose engines and the amount of dmg coming in makes it impossible to rebuild. You go to rebuild and then the armor is gone/etc. Just about every ship goes through this.

So how many seconds should be acceptable? I remember when this was tweaked long ago. Guns and engines took all day to rebuild. That was tweaked back and it got slightly better. Only bring it up now because with Minotaur and the changes we have currently. Engines feel even more important. Having them remain up can decide if a ship is able to counter a Mino or not.

The disable meta only got stronger. It's traditional counter was kill meta or evasion. Well, Pyra is now nerfed to hell so that is out. Junker is a big blender liability. Squid still can't turn worth a damn and it's engines are far too weak when hit.  Spire is possibly the only viable option right now but even that is Jack bait.

Engines able to rebuild faster would help a lot.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 11:48:15 pm by Gilder Unfettered »

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Engines
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 09:34:39 am »
I dont exactly know how you are relating this to the new patch. Is it the ship nerfs? Or what?

The minotaur specificaly? Cause thats the only new gun that can disable here and there.
And if you use moonshine youl render the push effect from the mino useless.

The reason why engines are difficult to rebuild because there is 3(4) of them. Its just more components spread out.
Usually the side engines or main ones are close by but with 2 people building them up youl get them done in no time.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 11:15:28 am »
Squid can't turn worth a damn? Squid is probably the only ship I won't bring a phoenix claw on because it turns quite well; although the junker could probably do without phoenix claw as well. It helps if you don't try to use kerosene or moonshine while turning. If you really want to use phoenix claw on it, you'll turn on a dime.

I could see the engine rebuild time being toned down a few hits, but the minotaur isn't that effective as a disable weapon. Sure you can break a lot of stuff in a single shot (with heavy clip), but then you only have two more shots. It's much easier to use an artemis to break things, and you have a larger clip and some aoe to it.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 11:39:47 am »
Engines could use a little rebuild time reduction. Especially the engines on a Mobula, because there is no easy way to repair Mobula engines.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 11:57:21 am »
I think the engine rebuild times are fine as is.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 12:28:05 pm »
#Hwachaproblems  8)

Although on a serious note I think of the engines took a single hammer stroke less to rebuild, that would be enough to make an incredible change to the game and great longer engagements...
But going by the fact things are changing to shorten engagements both game balance wise and competitive rules, I feel it'll not change any time soon.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 12:49:32 pm »
I'd say decrease it by a wrench hit, also balloon