Author Topic: New ship idea:Rhino  (Read 6910 times)

Offline Lanliss

• Salutes: 24
    • View Profile
New ship idea:Rhino
« on: February 18, 2015, 08:25:06 pm »
I have seen some people posting their ideas for new ships, so I thought I would try it out.

Bulky, slow flying beast of a ship.
The twist? Two armors. Main hull is weaker than normal, covers most of the ship. Second hull on front end, much tougher than normal, makes ramming a deadly possibility.
No guns on front end, so as to prevent it being insanely overpowered.

Gun on back, and each side, plus a heavy gun on each side.

Any additional ideas?

Offline Jub Jub

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 29
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
Re: New ship idea:Rhino
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 08:53:52 pm »
I like the name of the ship (as would any former Sky Invading Rhinos [SIR] member).

As for the ship itself, I'd argue that any new ship has to stick with the same basic principles as any of the other ships: 1 Hull Armor, 1 Balloon, and at least 3 Engines either Light or Heavy Engines (though where the Squid has just 4 Light Engines, a ship with just 2 Heavy Engines that has great acceleration and velocity, but terrible turn-time might be interesting, that side-note aside). A ship with 2 Hull Armors might be a bit much.

Assuming the ship only has 1 Hull Armor, it sounds like a weaker version of the Galleon in terms of firepower and weapon placement, with its double broadsiding heavy weapons, though I suppose the exception is that rather than 2 heavy weapons, there's 1 heavy and 1 light weapon...and the token aft light gun.

Just my unasked for , 2 cents..
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:58:00 pm by Jub Jub »

Offline Lanliss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 09:04:58 pm »
Not in asked for, as I asked for any suggestions. Thanks for the comment. My defense for the two hulls is that the main hull(on aft and sides) is weaker than standard, maybe at squid level, while the frontal hull could be either equal to the strongest currently in game, or stronger, in a class of it's own.

The aft gun is to cover the fact that the front is already a blind spot as far as firing goes, and could arguably be made a heavy gun slot, if a standard gun is considered too light to cover the hull damage you would be taking.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 09:13:46 pm »
One boss in in Co-Op is supposed to have two hulls so it's not that the idea is completely out of the blue

...but I think it will never be implemented, at least in Skirmnish Mode.

Offline Lanliss

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 09:34:31 pm »
People keep mentioning boss ships and co-op. I am afraid I have not been active in the community for very long, so I have no idea what those are. Would you be able to post a link to info on the subject?

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 11:14:07 pm »
twitch.tv/gunsoficarus every friday

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 02:53:34 pm »
RHINOS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO3MttgvHUY

Doesn't sound terribly impossible, it'd be like having a second balloon on the front (once a balloon is down all damage to balloon is transferred to hull). However without front facing guns, ramming wouldn't be terribly useful unless this thing had insane mass and speed.

Offline Lanliss

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 03:25:22 pm »
Mass yes, but not speed. The idea is that, just like a rhino, you need to reach insane speeds, probably with moonshine. Then it is hard to stop if you miss, hence the side and back guns.having a gun on front with the massive armor would be insane, as it would allow you to just absorb all of the damage, while firing with something destructive like a flamer.

Offline Lanliss

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 04:46:28 pm »
I just got another idea for this. If it is not too far fetched, their could be two harpoon on the front that cannot be changed, so a coordinated crew could set up a flight path by either sinking both in one ship, or in separate ships, forcing the together.(I do not know if that would work, as I do not use harpoon. I do not know the actual logic behind them) this would be helpful, but not really necessary for the ship to be a success.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 07:12:36 pm »
This is kinda what I was looking for in the Turtle: https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,5362.0.html

And yea, I wouldn't mind seeing a ram-oriented ship other than the pyramidion.