Author Topic: Question to steampunks out there.  (Read 6571 times)

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Question to steampunks out there.
« on: February 16, 2015, 08:56:32 am »
As this game is about the steampunk era / style i thought i'd have more success here

I'm hoping to talk to a few people about any steampunk conventions / meetings that might be happening in england, more so in the north,  And what it's like. where the best places to buy clothing etc.

I want to become a steampunk but my social anxiety and shyness is holding me back to the point where i have a panic attack.

Any advice etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
Re: Question to steampunks out there.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 09:22:34 am »
http://steampunk.synthasite.com/

This event at Lincoln was a blast.
Steampunk is growing around the UK definitely, to the point I was able to open stalls at conventions selling leather goods directed towards Steampunk market, most film and comic conventions are adding Steampunk to their talks and displays and Showmasters (London Film and Comic Convention organisers) have been encouraging steampunk costumers to take part, although I didn't agree with one of the costumers they invited to talk on behalf of the steampunk community, they did a cracking job and are certainly welcoming Steampunk cosplayers into their conventions.

Though with the coming of the new mad max, beware of the diesel punkers will also be growing and sometimes Steam and Diesel can collide and be mistaken.

If you have a Facebook account, there are plenty of UK based Steam Punk groups to join, simply search Steampunk UK and Steam Punk UK, also you'll find most of the UK community seem to be further north, definitely less around the south and south east than just a bit futher north..

Also a lot of Steampunk in the UK can be found in LARP events (Live Action RolePlay) mostly southern and midlands for them that I've seen though, still don't be scared to google Steampubk larp UK! :)

I've been away from the country and most the work I've done have been private commissions but I will likely be pushing my facebook and ETSY page into activity again into activity as things get more settled after having moved abroad, but you can see some of my leather work on www.facebook.com/robinandmagpie
And if you watch Emmerdale (not likely but always worth mentioning) I have supplied to ITV Studios a few times, so if you see a leather item that does not look like something you'd often find, it's likely made by me.

Feel free to ask any questions, i also know a couple of tinkerers who consider doing commission work, incase you need any specific props made.

Most steampunkers work on.commissions or make stuff themselves, but etsy is a curse and a blessing to the steampunker, you'll find works of art and the perfect part for your costume, but beware the bronze painted swimming goggles that flood etsy.
:)

Offline Gambrill

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 09:30:44 am »
I live in lincoln but was too terrified to go see everyone haha :') missed my big moment i guess. Thanks for the advice! and i'll take a look at etsy once im back home from work :)

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 09:35:46 am »
Just remember ETSY is both a goldmine and a scrap yard for the Steampunk kit, I've had plenty of arguments with some sellers who genuinely insult the "hand made" stamp they add to their products which are actually just given a quick spray paint and sold for ten times their actual value... But that's a bit off topic..
On topic:
You should have gone!!!
It was a great event! :)

Offline Gambrill

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 09:40:42 am »
next time i will! and i'll be sure to take care on etsy ;) thanks again man. maybe i'll see at the next one haha :)

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 09:42:40 am »
Since moving to central Europe the volume of UK conventions I go to has dropped dramatically, but I'll be sure to let you know any conventions I do goto. :)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 01:31:35 pm »
Don't be afraid of conventions. You don't need to talk to anyone except the person handing out badges, and that is more like "I would like a one day pass please." After that you can sit in seminars all day and soak in the whit and wisdom of some very cool people. No social interaction required.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 01:44:38 pm »
Oh and most the people at conventions will.usually be like minded people with their own social quirks which is usually what drove us towards Steampunk, conventions [insert other non-mainstream hobbies here] at least in my experience nearly all the people you'd meet at a convention would either have their own quirk or entirely understanding :)