Author Topic: Can't modify posts in Feedback forum  (Read 10904 times)

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
Can't modify posts in Feedback forum
« on: April 04, 2013, 07:17:39 pm »
My typos are driving me insane.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Can't modify posts in Feedback forum
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 08:31:05 pm »
If they're really hurting you that much, I could fix them for you.

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 08:34:05 pm »
I've had bad experiences with other people editing my posts.

Should probably flip on the modify permission, though, that should've been on by default.  Wonder how it got turned off.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 08:48:33 pm »
Oh come on, I'm not going to scour through them searching for swear words.

Muse have always had it so that modifying is disabled after half an hour. It was that way on the old forum. Ask them about it if you want to.

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 08:55:41 pm »
Oh come on, I'm not going to scour through them searching for swear words.

I kid, I kid.  I have to be more on guard with you sneaking in ads to bolster your Salute count.

Muse have always had it so that modifying is disabled after half an hour. It was that way on the old forum. Ask them about it if you want to.

Half an hour?  That might be what's happening then, I thought it was just a quirk with that forum.  Kind of an odd restriction, makes it harder to edit OP's as the thread progresses.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 08:57:15 pm by Helmic »

Offline nake

• Salutes: 6
    • [RZ]
    • View Profile
    • My programming, robotics and geek forum (spanish)
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 05:26:22 am »

Half an hour?  That might be what's happening then, I thought it was just a quirk with that forum.  Kind of an odd restriction, makes it harder to edit OP's as the thread progresses.

Agree. Not being able to edit the OP is a bit bad I think.
For example, if I find a way to fix a certain bug I reported, I'd just edit my OP and change it so that newcomers know how to fix it without having to scroll until they find the solution somewhere in the middle of the topic.
Why is it disabled anyway?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 08:33:48 am by N-Sunderland »

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 05:31:28 am »
Limiting editing is supposed to make Moderation easier, and some forum software stores every version of a post - so frequent edits can be less efficient than a new reply.

What some threads need is a could cull once in a while - for example, with a bug report culling out the "me too" posts and collating the solutions.

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 04:03:26 pm »
Yes, VBulletin allows moderators to see every edit of a post, I figured SMF would let you as well.  It works just fine for the majority of boards, if no one reported it and you don't care to look through the edits chances are it's not worth the trouble.

Offline Urz

• Salutes: 75
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 12:14:02 am »
It seems like not allowing edits would either A) make moderation more difficult, as people have to bug them about every change, or B) lead to threads not being updated (see: squid racing). The server-side storage and performance concerns I have to imagine are entirely irrelevant considering the low-traffic state of this forum.

Related: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1841
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 12:17:16 am by Urz »

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 04:48:29 am »
Oh lordy, SMF.  It's great that it's free, but it relies on mods that any company is going to be averse to installing in fear of one mod breaking another somehow.  It's why you usually see active game forums use vBulletin, it costs money but it's more thoroughly tested and feature-rich out of the box, you don't need to install mods to get stuff that's just standard nowadays, you don't need to install one mod for each feature that's missing so you don't have to have someone on company time go download and install a mod just so we can imbed Youtube videos.  They already put effort into their own mod to make our in-game ranks show up so you know they're committed to SMF too.

I mean, Keon seems like he still doesn't know I made the post that magically disappeared from that silly suggestion, I thought he was just joking around but it seems like he seriously can't see deleted or edited posts.  If I were a dick, I could abuse the everliving shit out of that.