Author Topic: Guns of Icarus Seasonal  (Read 29516 times)

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
Re: Guns of Icarus Seasonal
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 03:50:29 pm »
The competitive community probably won't diminish from Co-Op, since these are players who enjoy PvP. The pub skirmishes might take a hit of course. The PvE content might even bring back some more players who became bored of the content, and we could actually see a rise in competitive play.

Either way, co-op coming out, and other changes to the game aren't directly related to this specific type of event. We'll deal with those hurdles as they come up.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 04:32:25 pm »
Just a heads up, TimmyB will be returning in about two months :)

Offline Thomas

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 04:40:58 pm »
Update:

Talked with Muse, and they're OK with amping up the prizes. We can create items in the workshop to be used as unique prizes!

Currently we're thinking badges and a balloon decal (unique for each season and champion tournament). If anyone wants to step up to the plate and work on some headgear, that'd be pretty sweet too. It would have to be approved by Muse of course.

Would these be good prizes? Not good enough? Too good?

@Byron: Our first matches are scheduled for the start of April, and should be 2-3 weeks. We can potentially move it forward if necessary, but we do want time to finalize the prize designs.

Offline Mezhu

• Salutes: 33
    • [Sgar]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 05:28:27 pm »
It might be in your best benefit to wait for co-op's release either way, exactly for this possible resurgence of players you mentioned

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 02:47:53 am »
Oh awesome, thanks for checking into that Thomas.

Offline Thomas

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 01:20:51 pm »
*We can also have a prize be naming an AI, if that's something people want.

Things are going pretty smooth so far, we're likely to keep the dates initially listed. The steam group of people helping organize, ref, cast/stream, etc should be up later today. If anyone is interested in helping out in any way, shoot me a message. We're also actively looking for artists/designers to help with the badge/decal creation.

Personally I think it would be really great to have themed headgear/goggles for each season; but with the complexity involved and the limited number of people capable of creating something like this in the dev app, we could just have it be a prize for the champion tournament; giving us more time for creation and acceptance.

So if you know any great artists or modelers, send them our way so we can start the planning process. We'll also get a thread going for concept art submissions for those who want to share their ideas without having the make a final product.

Offline Thomas

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2015, 12:44:13 pm »
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GoIOSeasonal

Steam group is up! Feel free to hop in if you want to help out in any way (cast/ref/organizer/art/et). Should be an open group.

Offline KitKatKitty

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 41
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2015, 03:01:20 pm »
This brings a new way of running tournaments. I love this idea for the simple reason that 1 team can not rule all the seasonal's. You know where to find me. You have my support and help. +1

Offline Thomas

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2015, 12:49:05 pm »
Any support would be great. We have someone working on badges and decals, just seen some of the badge progress and they're looking pretty good. I'll post an image when it gets a little closer to completion.

We do have the steam group up and are currently looking for mostly refs and casters right now. I'll be reaching out to the usual casters individually, but new casters would be amazing too.

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2015, 01:28:35 pm »
How exactly does this differ from the old official competitive season? (https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,3188.0.html)

Since that one fell apart, I'm a little skeptical of a new season format.

Offline Thomas

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2015, 01:53:35 pm »
An error has occurred!

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.

So... no idea?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Although another CA was kind enough to copy-paste the generic contents. I believe that is the Leviathan Seasonal / Fabria Conclusion?

I'd recommend reading the tournament format of each. The Leviathan Seasonal was basically getting random-ishly paired up with another team, fighting them and getting points. There was a lot of other ways to get points, such as setting up your own skirmishes; and even winning matches in official events. Then the teams with the highest point values were put into brackets for a tournament.

The difference with the seasonal is pretty apparent, we don't have teams accumulate points over a season. We have a mini-tournament (normal bracket style) with a single champion. They win the season. They cannot compete in the next seasons. Then we have another mini-tournament in the next season, another single winner. Then after we have four (4) unique season winners (this happens after we complete the four seasons) we have those winners (and replace them if they've stopped playing) compete in a round robin style tournament to determine the ultimate victor. We even throw in a wildcard fifth team.

So we don't accumulate points, we don't make teams set up their own matches, tournaments only last a few weeks at most and are not continually happening for an entire season. We're similar in that it's broken up into two parts, and the top teams from the initial part of the tournament are placed into a champion tournament.

A simple way to look at is considering each season to be unconnected to the others, a very simple bracket tournament. Not a league or competition for points.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 02:08:39 pm »
I, for one, like this idea a whole lot. The SCS is fun and all, but getting some new competitive events going would be really good for the scene. Expect StarBard to sign up /o/

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2015, 02:25:06 pm »
Okay, I guess I was thrown off by the use of the word "season" -- it sounds like each season is actually just a single tournament.

Offline Thomas

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2015, 03:21:37 pm »
Bad news everyone!

So Howard talked to Tim, and Tim talked to Howard, then Howard talked to me, and we can't do workshop items for prizes! *sadface*

So it's only going to be badges for each season and the final. We can do a 'name an AI' and/or even physical items for the championship winners. The most popular is the bullet USBs. Then artbook, pins, or even t-shirts. Or that's what I've been told.

So the current plan is continue working on the badges and get those out. For the championship prizes, we're looking for feedback on what teams would want as a prize, and we should have that settled well before that time comes.

Thanks~

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2015, 03:29:37 pm »
just so you know for physical prizes and people living in other countries there is an extra fee of receiving you package. so probaly not worth it