Author Topic: Killing the community, one game at a time.  (Read 72625 times)

Offline Ayetach

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: Killing the community, one game at a time.
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2015, 12:30:23 am »
Hello Alexor,

I only tend to lurk threads like these as there little substance to contribute to these discussions for my part, but I did want to respond to your  posts regarding some of the frustrations you`ve been facing in this game.

It is a fact that players will not be as forgiving with new players all the time and a whole different attitude is taken upon them simply because they appear new (I would know, I have been offered access to play on accounts where levels for them are far lower and witnessing the very behavior you`re describing among some players). But don`t let that discourage you, to be completely frank it took me the better part of 1000 games to really get the hang of every aspect of this game and to overcome my frustrations as to why things were falling apart on ships - and of course the more experianced you get the less flak you *tend* to recieve based on your rep as a player.

Now that doesn`t mean you need to play 1000 matches to do this - it just took me that long to really get the hang of it (call me slower than most) but after a while all that flak really starts to evaporate. This is especially true when you find oppertunities to fly with like-minded fun players that you can get good chemistry with - it is a serious blast. One of my buddies in the early stages of the game was Ightrril from Overwatch, we both started out at roughly the same level and played together lots to overcome the challanges of the game and to also understand it better by experimenting. I would definately encourage the same for you if you get such an oppertunity :)

There`s always going to be a few bad apples in every community, but don`t let that turn you away from fun oppertunities to meet other people instead :)

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2015, 02:14:00 am »
I'd rather say these are new players, not aware of the fact, that from every failure you can learn a lesson, but most of them refuse because of sheer lazyness.
I always say getting your ass handed to you is the best way to get better at something.

Also known as "Practice makes perfect." And "Trial and error." "Learn from your mistakes." And "Don't charge that galleons broadside!"

I don't think the players are the problem. What's the learning when getting stomped by meta ships with meta crews? It's  playing the game on the hardest setting. Stacked lobbies are playing it on impossible.

I've found the majority of learning comes from being taught. Practice is always good but it doesn't help much when your ship has bad loadouts and keeps getting wrecked. The best practice is playing with experienced players not against them. New players should take advice more often and experienced players should give it more.

The only thing I'm disappointed with the GoI community for is pub stomping with meta ships. Why play a game on easy? It's killing our new community one game at a time.

Ayetach is right

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2015, 01:11:04 pm »
On the topic of some people like winning. All of us like winning, and we don't like being put into positions where winning is impossible. We don't mind as much putting other people into a position where winning is impossible.

When I use the match making system I often feel winning is often impossible. My previous win record guarantees I get put on crews who have had a consistent loss record because they don't understand the game systems and don't communicate. No matter how well I shoot, repair, or even fly my actions as an individual are never enough to swing the match in my team's favor. Eventually I just give up and start looking for high level players on my friends list. Next thing I know I am on a team where the lowest level is 25 against my old ship who still doesn't stand a chance and will probably rage quit in the next few matches.

It is unfair to the newbies and unfair to the match making algorithm, but I don't care. The hours I can play are few and I want to make the most of them.

Offline nanoduckling

• Salutes: 116
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2015, 02:15:08 pm »
As Hamster said, the matchmaker frequently puts me on a ship with folks who are uncommunicative or just bad. Since a bad pilot ensures winning is impossible as your guns don't point at the enemy my gunner and engi win percentages have dropped ~10%, while my pilot win percentage has jumped up by about the same amount. I'm pretty sure this is for precisely the reasons Hamster gives, experienced players on the opposition are crippled if they are crewing and when they get sick of it and a slot opens up they hop over.

It has gotten to the point where I'd rather a total novice 0 games played to a level 15 who has prooved to the matchmaker there are totally clueless.

One partial fix is to decouple MMR for crewing and piloting, but it wont wholly solve the issue, someone has to crew with the idiots.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2015, 02:20:11 pm »
I just wanted to say, that winning is good, but fighting a good, worthy, intense fight is always better, no matter the outcome.

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2015, 03:12:58 pm »
I just wanted to say, that winning is good, but fighting a good, worthy, intense fight is always better, no matter the outcome.

Saluted.

Exactly my feelings after losing countless 4-5 DMs against 45s

(edit: Actually, its been quite the opposite this week..)

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2015, 07:35:13 pm »

SCS #37 Finals, the best loss you'll ever see... Such emotion that match...

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2015, 10:52:57 pm »

I don't think the players are the problem. What's the learning when getting stomped by meta ships with meta crews? It's  playing the game on the hardest setting. Stacked lobbies are playing it on impossible.

Lobby stacking will never go away. Clans want to play together and will continue to do it. However, MM forces you in with them no matter what. You can't just browse a list and see a Clan Practice lobby, then avoid it to find an easier match. You want this to change? Bug Muse. It may take a year but eventually something might change.

If you want no clan stacks or stacking at all...then all custom game options must be taken away along with all friend match options. Meaning you can never group with friends and you are perpetually put into random matches where you know no one. This is the biggest load of steaming horse feces that could ever be implemented and there is no way in hell it would happen.

So people QQing about stacking...shut up. Join a clan. Stop sitting feeling sorry for yourself and crying about how unfair the world is. You want it fair, go do something about it. If you don't like the clans, make your own. Deal with it. Bugging Muse about...waaa waaaa stacking...isn't going to solve anything. Grow a pair or get out.

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2015, 05:29:24 am »
If you want no clan stacks or stacking at all...then all custom game options must be taken away along with all friend match options. Meaning you can never group with friends and you are perpetually put into random matches where you know no one.

NOOOO

Shut up or somebody will eventually get to think: "HMMM actually he's right; LET'S ANNOUNCE NEW UPDATE WITHOUT THEM" because we already had come to think that Matchfaker is not to be touched, immaculate and saint...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 05:32:42 am by Schwalbe »

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2015, 05:40:08 am »
I think what was a genuine discussion may be taking a turn for a more emotional route we all want to avoid.  :)
To some its a delicate subject but most of us here on the forums play the game the same as the rest, with friends, clan mates and allies...

Also one thing to keep in mind, players will complain about stacking and levels regardless of the situation.

My ship: Me level 45, gunner level 19, gungineer level 20(something) and main engineer 20(something) had a match on my gatling Artemis pyramidion, our mobula ally (who had double gunner) all rage quit the match, most shortly before the ship.was destroyed, the others after...leaving me and my able bodies crew 2 v 1 for a whole match against level 8's 10' and 15's, people started leaving the enemy squids when they started loosing.
Final score 5-3 to us, a single gatling Artemis pyramidion, low to mid level crew, the enemy accused us of hacks, stacking, pub stomping and blamed AI (even though they were loosing before they had AI on their ships, and we had nothing to actually hurt AIs mechanics)

We were the bad guys because our ally left and we stayed for the fight, my whom point is, as lovely as our community is, it is still part of "The Internet" and people will always complain about things, so we should avoid turning on ourselves, and be cool.  8)

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2015, 05:56:13 am »

Final score 5-3 to us, a single gatling Artemis pyramidion, low to mid level crew, the enemy accused us of hacks

Is the event you are talking about recent? Yesterday I was accused, along with people on my shop, for hacks. I even got reported, but it was because of my foul, insolent mouth rather. But who knows.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2015, 06:08:21 am »
Last night, it's a common thing to see in new players from "the fps scene.." They come from games with different mechanics, where they can shoot well, or their super awesome no recoil mouse works, they come to guns with different mechanics and rather than realise it was load outs, ship choice or just plain luck, they use other excuses.. :(

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2015, 06:28:44 am »
This might be the same group of people. Dammit.

Welp, my usual excuse is lag. But, well - the thing is that my connection really sucks, to the point, the game does not react for my commands for 20 seconds...

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2015, 07:57:11 am »
Oh yeah, I also remember someone calling out "hacks" in the match chat after a win a week or so ago. I mean, I don't see too many aspects that you could modify to your advantage in this game.

"Speed ha- No wait they have kero for that"

"Invincibility ha- oh, wait , theyre flying out of our arcs nvm"

"Invisib- JUST SPOT THE FRIGGIN THING"

"Pop up behind us and kill us under 10 seconds haa- Gat mortar says hi"

"45 captain? I bet he grinded by killing the wolves in the forest. Oh wait."
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 08:02:14 am by MightyKeb »