Author Topic: looking for a active clan  (Read 24871 times)

Offline nanoduckling

• Salutes: 116
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Re: looking for a active clan
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 01:32:44 pm »
From the style of your posts I think you are looking for a far more formalized and structured environment that you are likely to find in most of the GoI community. I also think you are unclear as to the nature of the negotiation taking place.

GoI does have a few clans that try to organize regular practices (skrims) and play in competitive events and it has some that are on things like TS/mumble, but the community is small and tight-knit and most clans don't have the members to do the former. They often also don't need the latter as many treat GoI like a chat client with party chat, or use Steam chat. They don't really need TS. I doubt you want TS specifically so I invite you to look at the deeper reasons for this requirement. I suspect what you are looking for is a communicative and / or social clan. I'd identify clans that meet that requirement, rather than your current approach.

The clans that are active and emphasize communication, even if they are actively recruiting, are looking to see what you can bring to them before they admit you. Taking on a new clan member introduces instability into a social scene and someone inexperienced like yourself can place a burden on that clans educators; many clans have criterion you need to clear. While the clans are competing for new talent, they have limited resources and will want to see some evidence that you are bringing something they want to the table. You are very inexperienced and your interest profile is also one of the more common ones (broadly speaking the community has a shortage of main engineers, a shortage of pilots and a glut of gungineers and gunners). If you really want to find a clan that meets your core desires here you aren't really in a position to ask the clans (especially old, established ones like the Ducks) if they have what it takes, openly ask if the clans treat their members 'like cattle', or reject others out of hand because of specific software requirements. You may have to compromise, and recognize that your hand is weak and the clans who have what you want are holding most of the cards.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 02:25:48 pm »
From the style of your posts I think you are looking for a far more formalized and structured environment that you are likely to find in most of the GoI community. I also think you are unclear as to the nature of the negotiation taking place.

GoI does have a few clans that try to organize regular practices (skrims) and play in competitive events and it has some that are on things like TS/mumble, but the community is small and tight-knit and most clans don't have the members to do the former. They often also don't need the latter as many treat GoI like a chat client with party chat, or use Steam chat. They don't really need TS. I doubt you want TS specifically so I invite you to look at the deeper reasons for this requirement. I suspect what you are looking for is a communicative and / or social clan. I'd identify clans that meet that requirement, rather than your current approach.

The clans that are active and emphasize communication, even if they are actively recruiting, are looking to see what you can bring to them before they admit you. Taking on a new clan member introduces instability into a social scene and someone inexperienced like yourself can place a burden on that clans educators; many clans have criterion you need to clear. While the clans are competing for new talent, they have limited resources and will want to see some evidence that you are bringing something they want to the table. You are very inexperienced and your interest profile is also one of the more common ones (broadly speaking the community has a shortage of main engineers, a shortage of pilots and a glut of gungineers and gunners). If you really want to find a clan that meets your core desires here you aren't really in a position to ask the clans (especially old, established ones like the Ducks) if they have what it takes, openly ask if the clans treat their members 'like cattle', or reject others out of hand because of specific software requirements. You may have to compromise, and recognize that your hand is weak and the clans who have what you want are holding most of the cards.

Take my salute Nano.

Offline Randon Fox

• Salutes: 1
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 07:58:47 pm »
 I appreciate everyone who posted on this topic and replied and provided me with very valuable reflections. Every clan out there is not suited for every player. Some clans already recognized the same qualities as I done with having a external voice server like TS3 and those will be the first ill be looking at. I will be looking at clans without TS3 after i tried some of the ones with TS. While other clans may still be good clans I still find the TS is a good tool to stimulate social interaction more than without.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 08:02:12 pm »
I appreciate everyone who posted on this topic and replied and provided me with very valuable reflections. Every clan out there is not suited for every player. Some clans already recognized the same qualities as I done with having a external voice server like TS3 and those will be the first ill be looking at. I will be looking at clans without TS3 after i tried some of the ones with TS. While other clans may still be good clans I still find the TS is a good tool to stimulate social interaction more than without.

Don't forget some clans use mumble too. It's like teamspeak, but it looks humbler and a lady reads out the text people type.

Offline c-ponter

• Salutes: 14
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 05:59:07 am »
It is great that you are looking actively for a clan on these forums but I would just like to point out one slight expectation that it seems you have misunderstood slightly. You mention trying out many clans, but I have to agree with what most others are saying that the best way to do this is simply play with people from those clans and make friends that way. I only say this because it won't be possible to clan-hop between most of the older and more established clans. Obviously I cannot speak for every clan in the game but the Gents have an application period which can last roughly 2 weeks to prove your activity due to the huge number of applications we get that never log on again :/ you have to pass this application phase before you are even given our TS password and I know that several of the other clans have similar processes to assure only those that will stay with the game are accepted.
As for organised events I feel that unless you do want to get involved in the competitive community (which may be a good idea if you are serious) fight the devs and other open community events are a really good place to start, and most large clans will have a prescence in these events so you can further get to know other clans.
on a final note, GOIO is so community based that I feel it isn't necessary to have a clan to be social, I got one don't claim to be the most well known player in the community, but it's still common for me to receive game invites and just have a good time using the in-game chat from people whom I have never been in a clan with

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 06:13:29 am »
*Ponders.*

We could use the accumulated information in this thread and write a guide on how to join GoIo clans...
Such information! :)

Back on track: How goes the clan search Rando?

Offline Randon Fox

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 09:31:49 am »
It is great that you are looking actively for a clan on these forums but I would just like to point out one slight expectation that it seems you have misunderstood slightly. You mention trying out many clans, but I have to agree with what most others are saying that the best way to do this is simply play with people from those clans and make friends that way. I only say this because it won't be possible to clan-hop between most of the older and more established clans. Obviously I cannot speak for every clan in the game but the Gents have an application period which can last roughly 2 weeks to prove your activity due to the huge number of applications we get that never log on again :/ you have to pass this application phase before you are even given our TS password and I know that several of the other clans have similar processes to assure only those that will stay with the game are accepted.
As for organised events I feel that unless you do want to get involved in the competitive community (which may be a good idea if you are serious) fight the devs and other open community events are a really good place to start, and most large clans will have a prescence in these events so you can further get to know other clans.
I dont intend to leave the clan as soon as i join to test a new clan. I will chose one clan that i think can work for me based on the info i received so far. Its if that clan does not meet my expectations (obviously after i given them like a few months like my last clan) that i will consider moving on to test next clans.
*Ponders.*

We could use the accumulated information in this thread and write a guide on how to join GoIo clans...
Such information! :)

Back on track: How goes the clan search Rando?
It sure is good to see so many participating, I am grateful and feel privileged to have received this much help and suggestions as well as offers. What my conclusions are so far: I still will be first consider clans among the ones who have Teamspeak3 and if i run out of clans in that category i will narrow it down to mumble and last consider clans without external voice comms. I have out of the clans that been suggested to me decided to sign up my name in the service of the Holy Roman Emperors Navy. Hopefully i wont come back to this thread but if this isn't working out ill be announcing if i become available for other clans again.

Offline -Anakin-

• Salutes: 47
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 01:12:58 am »
Hey everyone! I just wanted to drop by with an update RE: my earlier post - I now run an official SREP TS3 server for the whole clan to use. It was actually your feedback that inspired me to set that up, so thanks very much Randon =]

See you in the skies!

Offline Randon Fox

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 01:03:03 pm »
Hey everyone! I just wanted to drop by with an update RE: my earlier post - I now run an official SREP TS3 server for the whole clan to use. It was actually your feedback that inspired me to set that up, so thanks very much Randon =]

See you in the skies!
Well as my application at SPQR have not been adressed in a weeks time, I assume they arent interested in my application. So would you still be interested in having me?

Offline Randon Fox

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2015, 02:05:42 pm »
Or if any other clans the have a TS3 and are active on a weekly or more basis is interested in having me. feel free to PM or drop a message in this thread

Offline Jub Jub

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 29
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2015, 04:34:36 pm »
Well as my application at SPQR have not been adressed in a weeks time, I assume they arent interested in my application. So would you still be interested in having me?

My guess to this is because you have yet to play with one of our officers. If you see a SPQR clan member on, ask them what time would be good to play with us, or a Senator specifically, as they're the ones who'll be the deciding factor. We're always willing to play with an applicant, but you have to meet us half way and make half the effort.

Offline Randon Fox

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2015, 06:18:24 pm »

My guess to this is because you have yet to play with one of our officers. If you see a SPQR clan member on, ask them what time would be good to play with us, or a Senator specifically, as they're the ones who'll be the deciding factor. We're always willing to play with an applicant, but you have to meet us half way and make half the effort.
its hard to play with your senators when i never see anyone of them online (more than half of them havent been online for 4-6 days). would it not be possible if i could get the TS adress to meet up with them in person and arrange a time to play? or cant you and me decide a time as we are allready communicating with you?

Offline Patched Wizard

• Salutes: 43
    • [+]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2015, 08:45:00 pm »
or cant you and me decide a time as we are allready communicating with you?

"We are already communicating with you?"  :o
Randon when is the Collective Hive Consciousness planning on making its presence known to the world?

Offline Randon Fox

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2015, 09:25:16 pm »

Randon when is the Collective Hive Consciousness planning on making its presence known to the world?
ha ha! i dont change extra for my typos :P

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2015, 06:13:06 am »

ha ha! i dont change extra for my typos :P

Add SapphireSage as your friend, he plays on similar times to us. (Yes I've seen you about :p )