Author Topic: Killing and destroying  (Read 9403 times)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
Killing and destroying
« on: February 02, 2015, 03:50:43 pm »
Just a clarification for chieve whores.

Killing is when your ship destroys targets.

Destroying is when you yourself kills targets.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
Re: Killing and destroying
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 04:07:19 pm »
Good thing to bring up. A few in-game terms do need clarification.

But this post ought to go somewhere other than Q&A.

Maybe gameplay?

Offline TeddyBearMafia

• Salutes: 8
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 04:12:17 pm »
A number of the pilot achievements are similarly poorly worded. When you see the phrasing "while on helm" or (crew), it usually means that your crew can be the ones doing the damage. Others, however, will ask you to destroy 100 parts, which you shall have to do with your ship alone - usually by driving so aggressively that your insurance company IRL gets scared, or through liberal use of tar.

Offline Watchmaker

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 55
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 06:29:18 pm »
The terminology used by the announcer, I believe the achievement text should be consistent with this:

Kill: reduce a ship's hull integrity to 0, resulting in the ship being replaced with a rain of debris
Destroy: reduce any part's health to 0, resulting in that part having no effect until it is rebuilt

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 11:10:04 pm »
The terminology used by the announcer, I believe the achievement text should be consistent with this:

Kill: reduce a ship's hull integrity to 0, resulting in the ship being replaced with a rain of debris
Destroy: reduce any part's health to 0, resulting in that part having no effect until it is rebuilt

I'm on the anglean map achieve.

It says "Get 5 kills in anglean"

But there is also another achievement that says.

"destroy ships."

You'd think that means exactly the same by the above logic, but its not.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 02:46:02 pm »
heres a question about kills.

Do kills count only if you contributed in the kill via a gun?

I mean I want to get 5 kills in anglean but as is I can never find a decent pilot for crazy king.

As such for both engineer and pilot I was captain and pilot of one of the ships.

If my ship kills a ship with me on the helm. does that count as a kill?

Offline Lydia Litvyak

• Salutes: 40
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 10:57:55 pm »
Pilot achievements marked "(crew)" are counted for you if anyone on your crew gets it. As a gunner or engineer you need to actually kill the ship--that is, deal the finishing blow, or be the last person to have dealt damage to it if it dies by colliding with terrain.

I can't think of any achievements that call for "destroying ships", and I'm pretty sure that's a mistake. Can you say which achievements exactly have that? It should probably be reported to muse.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 08:41:44 am »
I can't think of any achievements that call for "destroying ships", and I'm pretty sure that's a mistake. Can you say which achievements exactly have that? It should probably be reported to muse.

"Yesterday, Tomorrow" an achievement for the Pilot class, one before the last one in the Map section. One of its conditions is "As Captain, destroy 20 ships with Goldfish in Paritan."
This is the only achievement that I can remember where it has to be the actual captain killing a ship. May it be by killing them by shooting a gun or by simply ramming them without end, it has to be the captain (or the just the pilot in a crew slot, not sure if he has to be in the captain slot, but I as a pilot I was naturally in the captain slot).

Offline Lydia Litvyak

• Salutes: 40
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 05:34:21 pm »
Thanks, Daniel. Actually I remember helping Lue with that one...

I feel like the description for that should be "kill x ships" and just not have the (crew) marker. I'll email feedback about this.

edit: looking through the game data I'm seeing a lot of achievements that talk about destroying ships, with and without (crew). I'm not sure if there's supposed to be a distinction--I suspect the two words are used interchangeably, and the presence or absence of the (crew) marker is what tells you if you need to do it yourself or not.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 05:38:19 pm by Lydia Litvyak »