Author Topic: Emergency/Distress Balloons- Pilot tool  (Read 14227 times)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency/Distress Balloons- Pilot tool
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 12:24:45 pm »
Pilot can get off the helm once the balloons are deployed. I wonder why you think people would forget how to use chem because the ship is not moving.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 04:45:51 pm »
I can't speak for the very experienced players, but I and other less experienced players find it very hard to chemspray when things are already on fire. I guess if chemsprays are done correctly, nothing should ever catch fire, but a slight oversight or an occasional timing mistake can allow the flamethrower to put a gun-disabling amount of flame. In such situations when fresher engineers are panicking, it is essential that the pilot can maneuver the ship away from the fire and give the crew a repairing respite.

In my experience of piloting for MM crews, I found that its pilot's job to stay away from fires for misguided fire-extinguisher swabbies or fresh players unused to chemspray.

Offline c-ponter

• Salutes: 14
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 04:58:49 pm »
Indreams I agree with practically everything you have just said, which is the whole point in it imo. As you said used well chem completely negates any fire, but its quite hard to use well, this is what takes practice to learn and differentiates between an good or great engi. Let's be honest, if chem was easy to use well, it would be OP.
As for the handling of the ship I can't comment much (look at my pilot lvl XD) but at the end of the day everything needs a downside.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 07:43:46 pm »
That is the way the game used to be. Pilots generally flew smarter and avoided fires. Course then they slowed the hell out of the game and made it hard or impossible to avoid anything.

Chem was just 3 stacks with 40% ignition reduction. You spammed it to get fires out. I honestly still like it better than modern chem just because it felt like you were actually fighting. It wasn't this, spray n forget or spray and turn OP gameplay we have now. Which I hate with a passion.

Offline Ayetach

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 06:08:02 am »
This is an interesting idea. I would almost liken this to the karosine to moonshine comparison, this tool having more amplified affects than its drogue chute cousin.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 06:10:27 am »
Moonshine equivalent to phoenix claw when?

Offline Ayetach

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 06:24:02 am »
?? I mean to say the further reduced mobility - engine thrust wise - by using this over the drogue chute.