Author Topic: Card Games  (Read 21933 times)

Offline Dr Pantaleon

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart profile
Card Games
« on: January 24, 2015, 07:22:37 pm »
So I just noticed these playing cards in one of the cages of the Valentines Day theme:

Looks like a usual playing card deck, but with different suits: I see a 6 and a 2 of Triangles, a 1 of Hexagons, and what seems like a 1, 2 and 3 of... leaves?

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
Re: Card Games
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 10:37:33 am »
I wonder what sort of card games they would play, and I wonder who manufactures these cards, or are they a relic from the past?

Have anybody found some dice? That really goes with drinks and cards.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 06:42:16 pm »
I wonder what sort of card games they would play, and I wonder who manufactures these cards, or are they a relic from the past?

Printed paper isn't THAT rare... also dice on helm needs to be a thing.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 06:43:37 pm »

Printed paper isn't THAT rare... also dice on helm needs to be a thing.

The thing is, those cards look regular and printed. So there must either be a sort of printing press or something.

Offline Dr Pantaleon

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 07:28:23 pm »
This world is actually pretty sophisticated. It might be a postapocalyptic, but not an actually apocalyptic setting. The factions are well-established countries that live in relative peace (I assume). So printing presses and well-made playing cards like this shouldn't be hard to come by.

I haven't seen any dice so far, but I am sure they exist and are as popular as ever. Concerning card games, they will probably be similar to ours? There will most certainly be poker-style games which allow drunk sailors to loose vast sums of "honestly" earned money.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 10:50:35 pm »
This world is actually pretty sophisticated. It might be a postapocalyptic, but not an actually apocalyptic setting. The factions are well-established countries that live in relative peace (I assume). So printing presses and well-made playing cards like this shouldn't be hard to come by.

I haven't seen any dice so far, but I am sure they exist and are as popular as ever. Concerning card games, they will probably be similar to ours? There will most certainly be poker-style games which allow drunk sailors to loose vast sums of "honestly" earned money.

>Chaladon probably waters their fields with the blood of people affecting balance
>Merchants are all backstabbing jerks who care about maximum profit
>Anglea raids shit and takes slaves
>Arashi are Pirates and raid ships
>Baronies use feudal system; enough said
>Yesha is Steampunk Tau

"Yessir, promise on me dear mum, we didn' got the coin from a passin' Galleon, nossir, I swear!"

Offline Inkjet

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 15
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 03:14:37 am »
It's an interesting question... Texas Holdem (for example) wasn't popularized until the latter half of the 20th century (though it was invented around the turn of the century), so I wonder if it would have spread in a different form, or been lost entirely.

As for the cards, tarot cards were often used as playing cards (partially to hide their true purpose from religious authorities), and I wonder if the suits pictured aren't based on that. The upright triangle corresponds to the element of fire, the suit of Wands, and the suit of Clubs. The inverted triangle represents water/Cups/Hearts. The leaves (if that's what they are) could correspond to earth/Pentacles/Diamonds. Finally, the hexagon could be water OR fire, or Air/Swords/Spades, or it could be an unknown 5th suit for some as-yet undeveloped game, as the six-pointed star represents Aether.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 09:51:49 am »
I say its illegal to play strip poker because it would reveal the world secret that everyone is a clone.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 10:23:13 am »
I say its illegal to play strip poker because it would reveal the world secret that everyone is a clone.

That's no secret, we learn that during novice...

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 06:53:31 pm »

Memories are foggy on that. I only remember victory. Lots and lots of victory with AI. Back then they looked like peeps.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 06:54:48 pm »

Memories are foggy on that. I only remember victory. Lots and lots of victory with AI. Back then they looked like peeps.
You also claimed AI used to be OP... That was never the case so i think you are delusional.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 07:34:30 pm »
The real question is how do they not blow away on a moving, airborne dirigible, especially in the weather conditions we often face?  WHAT ARE THESE CARDS MADE OF?

Also here is a cute picture of some friends enjoying drinks of... whatever's in those mugs, over a game of... whatever it is we play with those cards.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 01:13:58 pm »
I wonder if they do fortune telling in GOIO. Captains might want to see their fortune before they take flight.

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 01:14:59 pm »
I wonder if they do fortune telling in GOIO. Captains might want to see their fortune before they take flight.

I mean, when you think of hearty, fearless Captains flying towards their possible death, do you really think of people who waste money to get a fortune teller?

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 01:23:45 pm »

I mean, when you think of hearty, fearless Captains flying towards their possible death, do you really think of people who waste money to get a fortune teller?

"In the next few hours, should thy chose to sail, the consequences will be fatal."

"Welp crew, looks like we're setting sail then!"