Author Topic: Guns of Icarus Beginners Tutorial  (Read 18826 times)

Offline greendra

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
Guns of Icarus Beginners Tutorial
« on: April 04, 2015, 01:17:39 pm »
Hello!

I recently made a tutorial on YouTube for everyone who is just starting out in Guns of Icarus. It will tell you how to set-up your account, and also some other key information. There will be many other tutorials to come, so If you are a Guns of Icarus fan, please consider subscribing!

Here is the link to the tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptofxfnLx-U

PS: If you don't have the game yet, I am actually going to be giving it away soon! For anyone interested, check the comments section of the video, or just watch the video as I do explain it in-depth near the start.

Thanks guys and I hope the tutorial helps!  ;)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 01:21:18 pm by The Teenage Wizard »

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: Guns of Icarus Beginners Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 02:06:37 pm »
Firstly, your video is 2:44 long.

Secondly, you spend first minute of the video talking about not really important stuff.

Thirdly, the 'beep' sound around 0:02-0:03 is way too loud.

Furthermore:
"If you like Call of Duty/Minecraft you're going to like this game"
No, not really. I mean, those three games have literally 'nothing' in common. Actually the most common insult about new players is that they are "CoD players" and stuff.

Also, tutorial of setting up the game is... of debatable importance or even validity. I mean, you just showed something that 90% people can do on their own in lesser time than this video.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 03:07:42 pm »
1 minute of nothing important.

Another minute and a half of loging in and clicking tutorial. No this is not good, nononono.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 03:15:44 pm »
Your effort is good its great to see people getting involved in teaching and I think if you take Disasters criticism constructively your next tutorials could go down well.

But I have to agree a setting up video is a bit unnecessary as most people who would find and watch the video will already know what to do if they're watching the video in the first place..
But don't stop making the rest of the tutorials!

And also as Disaster said saying the line with CoD and Minecraft players is a bit of an odd.statement...
I know a lot of MC players who play GoIo, and I'm sure most of us have dabbled in the world of FPS games such as CoD which is why we know what their bulk player base can be like...

You should focus instead on describing the games key features (steal the Muse store page point of sale if it helps) and avoid saying the line "if you like [this] you may not like [this] in every video, its a negative statement which gives the views a negative view point, better to compare with a positive statement..

For example: "If you like [similar game name here] You will love [insert related game here]!"
This plays on viewer psychology and gives a positive mind set, or rather than name a similar game, use a key feature word or descriptive word such as "Team work" or "Airships" or "steampunk".
Overall you should focus on what your target audience Does want, rather than telling the wrong audience they don't want it. :)

Hope that helps, good luck in your next vids, also work on more indepth videos with genuine info, wrote a script pre-record.
The best tutorialsare done by people who know the fames inside out :)
Your clan leader should be able to help you with any info needed.

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 05:11:34 pm »
I agree with the others, the first half of the video is basic stuff, the only similarity i can see with CoD is from a gunner viewpoint, and even then its not a lot. With minecraft i dont see any except maybe learning to gauge drop with bow shots. I do think its good that you are doing this though, plenty of people, myself included had to learn by trial and error, along with some help from the more pleasant vets. If you want help for example setting up a practice match to show them what its like, id be willing to help with that, pm if you want

Offline greendra

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 03:28:14 am »
Thanks for all of the feedback guys! I will try to work on all of the points mentioned. And as for the beep at the start, I am working with my YouTube network to get that removed, as it is on all of my videos.
Thank you!