Author Topic: AI loading special ammo  (Read 10197 times)

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
AI loading special ammo
« on: January 26, 2015, 12:50:55 pm »
As far as I've been able to confirm, the gat is the only gun that AI will use their own special ammo for (AI gunners load heavy clip on gats). My question is why they use heavy clip on the gat, and if there are any other circumstances that the AI will use special ammo.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:07:57 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: AI loading special ammo
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 12:53:51 pm »
I just had an AI consistently load Charged in a Hwatcha on a Goldfish yesterday.....

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 01:05:54 pm »
Muse?

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 02:04:57 pm »
I was under the impression that AI gunners didn't even use special ammo :P

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 02:08:21 pm »
I wouldn't understand why AI would even try to load Special Ammo. Surely it'd be obvious if they randomly picked ammo that would be stupid right? Anyone ever had an AI load Lochnagar into a Flamer? :3

More Muse?

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 02:12:04 pm »
I have seen it happen once in a while but not very often. I too would like an explanation on what circumstances prompt the AI to load specialty ammo.

By now there is an accepted meta on what ammo is best for each gun. It wouldn't be to hard to code that in. I suspect Muse has an interest in keeping the AI weak lest we start yelling at newbies to get off our ship because the AI they replaced was better than they are.

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 02:17:43 pm »
I think it'd be cool if there was a way we could set up the AI's to bring what ammo and what weapons they should put each ammo in, and the captain would be able to customize this.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 02:50:35 pm »
Before making the post I tested in practice with an AI gunner on a gat and they used heavy clip for every clip besides the first one. Originally I had suspected that the decision was based on range but the AI consistently used heavy regardless of target range. In matches however,  I don't recall them exclusively using heavy.

Heavy makes sense to use on the gat but charged on hwatcha is just silly. AI are pretty good on hwatcha (besides shooting far beyond effective range) so charged would make sense as a handicap.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 02:58:36 pm »
Frankly, AI gunners either need completely overhauled or gotten rid of entirely. 

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 03:42:35 pm »
Frankly, AI gunners either need completely overhauled or gotten rid of entirely.
+1

When I pilot with one crew, I have to make him gunner to avoid the pain of an AI gunner.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 04:28:42 pm »
Other than engineer AI being incapable of you know, engineering properly.

I find the goldfish is laid out well for ai. The default setting (as you were) Means a gunner on front, and the engineers can fix and even shoot when there is nothing to do. (Happened to me before O.o)

But yeah otherwise utterly awful and a blight upon the ship.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 05:28:20 pm »
There was a thread on this a while back in which I tested AI on all guns. Their behavior has changed since then, it seems. If I recall, they would load heavy in the gat, and charged in three of the large guns every time, all but the Hwatcha. I just retested, and got some odd results.

The AI no longer load Charged in the heavy carro. They shoot standard ammo until the target is further away, then actually switch to heavy (though not always). It was hard to test, but it seems the range they switch is about 150 meters. And they always shoot at the balloon. This sort of makes them better than most new gunners on the carro.

In the Hwatcha, they seem to use Charged or standard at sort of random. If they take the gun from you, they will load in standard every time until they pick their own target during a reload that they started on the seat. Then they will load Charged every time. They never use Heavy.

They used to load Charged in the flak every time, but now use Standard at all ranges.

They only use Standard in the Lumberjack, though I noticed an odd thing. They switch between targeting the balloon and guns of an enemy seemingly at random.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 05:50:32 pm »
Thanks for the info Richard, it would make some sense for the AI to use charged on the heavy guns, but not if it's just the hwatcha. I thought I've seen them use heavy on the light carro (sometimes) but I haven't been able to reproduce it.

Atleast now they shoot balloons with carronades instead of guns!

(AI tactics:)

AI ships require flares (or mines) to work efficiently. I've always found the double flare pyra to be the most effective AI ship. Double flame squids with a rear flare are by far the easiest ship with AI as long as you aren't fighting experienced players.
I had a 43 win streak flying the DONT JOIN AI ONLY PLEASE flame squid (a point pre-matchmaking when a lot of new players were joining and would not listen).
That said, if you are fighting someone who has only AI, do not bring flamethrowers. It's rude and unfair.

AI gunners are bad because they have spanners. This can lead to them shooting damaged guns and putting you at a huge disadvantage. A good trick is to press F2 F3 when they reload. This will make them briefly repair then get back on the gun. You might want to do this multiple times during the reload.

Playing with AIs can be accomplished effectively when you know their limitations. Build your ships for the AI and don't forget flares- having them move to the wrong guns can be a death sentence.