Author Topic: Pyramidion needs more love?  (Read 26530 times)

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Re: Pyramidion needs more love?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 11:28:29 pm »
I love the Pyramidion, actually, and it makes me sad that my favourite ship might be nerfed into oblivion...

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 02:52:16 am »
I love the Pyramidion, actually, and it makes me sad that my favourite ship might be nerfed into oblivion...

Don't worry mate, if you ask me it is already there.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 03:04:48 am »
Last night during a pretty intense fight against/with Over Watch men and an engineer came to the conclusion the pyramidion has already had it's big nerd, and the Devs disguised it as a "hit box fix"  8)

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 01:59:34 pm »
How about this question, why not fly other ships? Not for the sake of not using pyra, but as a question to those who are pyra loyalists.

Like, why wouldnt you want to fly a junker
Or a spire, or a galleon. Or any other ship?

When i flew pyra once in canyons to replace a fellow clan member in a tourney, i flew extremely robotic and without care. Imo it felt too easy and thus boring.
Which is where im coming from when it comes to the FOR of this subject in nerfing the pyra. It is why i dont fly pyras.

My only favourable pyra was dual merc front, side gat mort in Dunes.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 03:06:55 pm »
Squid is very slippery, Galleon is painfully slow, Spire I haven't flown ever, Mobula is fun but doesn't quite bring the feel of a Pyra, Junker is fun but not a lawn-dart, and Goldfish, which is my 2nd/3rd favourite ship, is really easy to maneouver.  Too easy, it doesn't bring the challenge of a Pyra, predicting where you're going to have to turn...

Also, the Pyra has a nice weight to it, and there isn't much more satisfying than flying through things.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2015, 04:05:24 pm »
I fly other ships. Lately, I've got a lot of fun out of the mobula.

But each ship is unique. You can't get the same experience out of a goldfish as you do from a spire.

Pyra has that unique, fighter-plane feel. Recently, that seems lacking.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2015, 06:42:41 pm »
I fly other ships. Lately, I've got a lot of fun out of the mobula.

But each ship is unique. You can't get the same experience out of a goldfish as you do from a spire.

Pyra has that unique, fighter-plane feel. Recently, that seems lacking.

Uniqueness, that's exactly it.  It's why the non-Pyra players play Junkers, or Spires, or Goldfish... It's about the feel.

Offline Hillerton [PC]

• Salutes: 10
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 06:22:59 am »
So I haven't read all of this so this might have been said (also yes I'm very lazy when coming in to a thread like this), but in my personal experience the only thing that makes a pyra "OP" is that they have the easiest crewing. In the most basic flying of a pyramidion every single person on the ship have a designated task and only one, the pilot flies, the gunner mans only one gun, one engineer man the other and one engineer repair the hull and engines. This leads to it being "OP" in pub games and even some semi skilled games as everyone can focus on their task. This makes it a very easy ship to work with, leading to other ships (where the division is not as simple) being harder to use and therefor seen as weaker.

To back up this clam I want to point to the mobula. It lies just behind the pyra in almost all stat (not vertical movement and turning but nvm those). The mobula also have the capability to use 3 light guns at any given time. Yet I know only one person who admits to it being op, this is due to the engineers and pilot needing more awareness to use the ship as well as more teamwork over all.

Based on this a nerf would probably leave it with the squid, usable but for very specific and rare occasions... Not to mention remove one of the few ships a group of new players can use efficiently.

tl;dr pyra is not op just easy to crew making it a pub-stomper.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2015, 06:33:05 pm »
Just reminding the forum goers that it might not be OP in the grand scheme of things, but if it's a 'pubstomper', then it is OP for most people who play this game. You say it is just "easy to crew" but that basically means it is OP for 3 of the 4 players using it, right? The practicality of crewing these ships is a very important part of the balance.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 06:38:29 pm »
Dammit, the age old conundrum. The masses vs. the vets.

Hate it when it boils down to this. Look at matchmaker.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 06:43:02 pm »
Dutch Vanya, champion of casual scrubs everywhere, lookin' out for y'all.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 07:23:16 pm »
Dutch take my salute for defending the "little guys" :)

easy way to balance it out.... don't fix the hit boxes on the engines.... that's an automatic nerf to the pyra in itself.... :(

Offline Dutch Vanya

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 08:06:10 pm »
I should also clarify that my first post was about the the ship being overpowered or not from the perspective of experienced players vs new ones, as well as pilot vs crew. It all depends which way you're looking at it.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2015, 10:09:39 pm »
From pilot perspective, it's UP.

From moderate crew perspective, it's perfect.

Experienced crew, really easy to crew on, OP/UP/Perfecto debateable

Freshies (Going with Indream's term), OPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPPLSNERFOP

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 03:28:58 am »
I think the pyramidion is a well-designed ship, doesn't need a nerf. It's easy to engineer on because of how components are spaced, has a clear weakness (acceleration/vertical movement), but it's resistant to flechette/shatter disabling from the front because of shielded balloon. Noobs are more vulnerable to disabling than vets, and the pyra is relatively hard to disable if flown with a modicum of skill (i.e. pointed at enemy). Pyra is also pretty weak vs hades/merc/lumberjack but you don't see noobs use those too often.

The gat/mortar combo is good for exploiting brief windows of opportunity granted by smart ambushes and/or disables. Works especially well against other pyras, goldfish, mobulae etc.
Carronade/flamer is downright terrifying because it offsets the pyra's biggest weakness (maneuverability) and lets you relentlessly grind helpless junkers into the ground.
Sniper pyra isn't too shabby either.

If anything I would make the pyra slightly slower to turn and/or heavier to give squids/goldfish more of an edge against them while boosting ramming ability.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:33:16 am by Omniraptor »