Author Topic: Sniper need more love?  (Read 16428 times)

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
Re: Sniper need more love?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 11:27:08 am »
Actually is was the other pyramidion who your disables assisted more, but yes you assisted him.

I wont argue with you based on your calculations because evidently you're the obvious superior being.  8)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 11:52:31 am »
One of these days Kamo you and me will be on opposite teams with equal standing crew and I will kick your ass.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 11:59:08 am »
See you're so easily offended. Again humility and a bit of Zen are needed in your life.. If you'd like to do more trash talk then by all means you have me on steam and you're welcome to PM me.

As for your threat.. We've been in such teams before against each other, but I'm sure we can arrange a 2v2 skrim some time if you really think that'll make you feel better.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 06:13:30 pm »
Some say the life of a sniper pyra captain is boring, but I find it to my liking. I used to bring 3 engies and ask one of them to buff the long guns while the other two shoot. That left me on the helm making minor adjustments and occasionally fixing the hull.

Now I bring the standard 2 engie 1 gunner build and bring the buffkit myself. While we out range the enemy I buff the guns and make the bottom deck engine fly. When things get hot I take the helm, order my gunners to side guns and let the main deck engie fix stuff.

Having a gunner bring lesmok and burst makes the artemis more dangerous. Having two full time engines on board makes us more survivable in a brawl. Keeping the guns buffed makes my life more interesting and being forced to work the helm keeps the main engie's life interesting too. Unfortunately this only works with decently skilled crew so I save this build until I have at least one more vet on the ship.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 06:51:24 pm »
See you're so easily offended. Again humility and a bit of Zen are needed in your life.. If you'd like to do more trash talk then by all means you have me on steam and you're welcome to PM me.

As for your threat.. We've been in such teams before against each other, but I'm sure we can arrange a 2v2 skrim some time if you really think that'll make you feel better.

Nah I just remember the days when you piloted and I was a gunner or engie on your ship and it pissed me off on how you were so inefficient, and now I hear you talking smack about my calculations when I've seen you fly straight into a 2 v 1 (something I knew not to do even on my novice days).

As for a brawlers ships that can snipe. The successful example of this is my spire.

Art merc on top. flame hwacha.

At close range, the hwacha fires to disable and merc engie jumps down to the flamer at the same time to minimise repairs, and then 2nd hwacha kills. With 2 ppl on guns that leaves 1 engie to keep things together.

But on long range art, merc, heavy hwacha.

As for a pyra sniper, I do have a meta side but given the nature of pyra piloting I feel you just gotta commit and make sure you cut apart engines and guns before the impending ram from the brawler.

A true sniper build can rip apart any ship so long as they can hit. And when it comes to a brawl, I say its up to the pilot to really keep survivability.

Hydro, then tar and then kero the fk out of there reposition and snipe. As it stands a good sniper should be near an escape route anyway. Like a nearby cloud or terrain.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 06:52:01 pm »
Unfortunately this only works with decently skilled crew so I save this build until I have at least one more vet on the ship.

Ooh me! Pick me!

This sounds fun. :o

Kindly request to crew on this build.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 07:28:30 pm »
Yes I sucked back then and if you don't want to skrin that's cool, maybe we'll meet in svs now you're with CsM.

@Hamster that's a very efficiiabt build and plan I'd love to see it in action :)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 07:41:20 pm »
Yes I sucked back then and if you don't want to skrin that's cool, maybe we'll meet in svs now you're with CsM.

@Hamster that's a very efficiiabt build and plan I'd love to see it in action :)

Your scrim is me vs your clan. It's like wtf you think that would prove for you? As for the saturday thing, you are the least of my worries in that comp.

You ain't no Leousi
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:47:22 pm by Ceresbane »

Offline VomAct

• Salutes: 11
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 07:46:35 pm »
First of all, if you are doing hardcore sniping in a pyra you are doing it wrong.  You are pretty much wasting the advantage of a pyra completely by sitting it off on the edge of the map.  If you are going to seriously snipe, spire or mobula are your best bets.

In your average pub match, if you are going to snipe with either of those ships, you need to stick with guns that have no arming time.  This is just because most pubbie gunners can't shoot and hit effectively enough to kill a ship before it gets inside your arming time, and once a brawling ship gets inside your arming time, you are in serious trouble.

These requirements pretty much leave you with mercury and artemis.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 07:51:38 pm »
First of all, if you are doing hardcore sniping in a pyra you are doing it wrong.  You are pretty much wasting the advantage of a pyra completely by sitting it off on the edge of the map.  If you are going to seriously snipe, spire or mobula are your best bets.

In your average pub match, if you are going to snipe with either of those ships, you need to stick with guns that have no arming time.  This is just because most pubbie gunners can't shoot and hit effectively enough to kill a ship before it gets inside your arming time, and once a brawling ship gets inside your arming time, you are in serious trouble.

This is precisely why my pyra is used for sniping. I've seen pubbies that couldnt find the central gun on my mobula and people fighting to give away our position on the hwacha.

And as I said on the match I got unscathed, 1 gunner was shooting 1 merc while my engies just milled about waiting for a win to happen. And despite me getting this rare achievement notch. I don't feel good for giving them that win and for giving Kamo fuel to diss my sound tactical positioning.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 08:15:59 pm »

This is precisely why my pyra is used for sniping. I've seen pubbies that couldnt find the central gun on my mobula and people fighting to give away our position on the hwacha.

And as I said on the match I got unscathed, 1 gunner was shooting 1 merc while my engies just milled about waiting for a win to happen. And despite me getting this rare achievement notch. I don't feel good for giving them that win and for giving Kamo fuel to diss my sound tactical positioning.

All I said was you was out in the open, the low level goldfish pilot pretty much ignored you, which is great I meerly suggested you might find it more useful to have some hard cover nearby.

Now most people take constructive criticism as a good thing, I'm sorry you was offended by mine but I'm going to stop replying after I say this, stop taking personal offence to minor details. Also try to be less hostile to the community around you.

Offline VomAct

• Salutes: 11
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 08:25:16 pm »

If you are going to play in pub matches with pub crews, first of all you need to be patient and focus on teaching.  If you don't like the way that pub crews operate, then it is up to you to train them.  For example, if they can't find the weird asymmetrical ladder up to the top mobula gun, then either show them yourself or get a good crewmember to show them the light.

Second, you need to be patient because if and when pub crews don't listen, you just need to let it go and take the occasional loss.  Raging at the new players will do absolutely nothing for them, and it just makes you look like an ass to the one guy who actually is listening.

Of course, if you can't handle losing, then maybe you shouldn't be doing pub matches at all, and only fly in formation with an all-clan team in extremely stacked and boring matches.

Also, if you are going to do sniping pyra, at least one of your crew is going to be really bored with nothing to do.  Bored pubbies are always going to be bad pubbies.

Offline Caprontos

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 10:56:14 pm »

If you are going to play in pub matches with pub crews, first of all you need to be patient and focus on teaching.  If you don't like the way that pub crews operate, then it is up to you to train them.  For example, if they can't find the weird asymmetrical ladder up to the top mobula gun, then either show them yourself or get a good crewmember to show them the light.

Second, you need to be patient because if and when pub crews don't listen, you just need to let it go and take the occasional loss.  Raging at the new players will do absolutely nothing for them, and it just makes you look like an ass to the one guy who actually is listening.

Of course, if you can't handle losing, then maybe you shouldn't be doing pub matches at all, and only fly in formation with an all-clan team in extremely stacked and boring matches.

Also, if you are going to do sniping pyra, at least one of your crew is going to be really bored with nothing to do.  Bored pubbies are always going to be bad pubbies.

I support this entirely. Also I am that bored guy on the sniper pyra.. but it's fine.. I don't mind actually seeing the game once in awhile.. - but that's just me..

As for the topic, I don't really think we need more sniping.. Or less.. but spire buff and pyra nerf ... + squid buff.. might effect ship choice.. we'll see I guess..

I'd like to see more mobulas and squids lately.. but ah well.

Offline DrTentacles

• Salutes: 30
    • [GSR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2015, 11:31:27 pm »
Hades/double art trifecta. Fun for everyone. Boredom problem solved.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2015, 03:58:57 am »

I'm beyond that phase of patience.

I've been in so many pub matches where I realise noobs simply do not listen to sound logic or advice and do what they want. I nearly ran with a an engie with mallet buff extinguisher for crying out loud after spending all 200 seconds of the lobby tell him to change.

Ain't got no time to lose because of some guy's incompetence. At this point noobs are achieve notches to me. As for the whole patience thing.

Impatience gets you flying head long into a 2 v 1. If I got a pilot that can't wait a few seconds to get spots or gather information on terrain and correct positioning before attacking, its not a matter of them being "interesting." Losing soundly because of the lack of a few basic practices is what a boring match is.

Can you truly TRULY unironically tell me it is fun to be part of a team that doesn't learn ANYTHING from any mistakes they make? If so, join all the boring impatient pubs you want. I don't want in on that. I spent 1-30 on all 3 classes with 100% match completion and I still try to leave before match start.

I only quit at match start when MM fks you over by placing you in a game with 5 seconds on the lobby timer. And honestly? I have ceased to care about that 100% match completion as a result. It has literally gained me nothing but grief.

That being said noob crews would benefit from sniping builds. Theres no special piloting required. You just point and shoot. Even a pubbie can handle turning a ship into arc, surely (ironically most common complaint with noob pilots)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 04:05:32 am by Ceresbane »