Author Topic: Leave game cooldown needed  (Read 16171 times)

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
Re: Leave game cooldown needed
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 10:17:44 am »
The thing is, there already is incentive to loose...

Match completion, mine is at 97%. 3% being me afking to goto my twin toddlers or internet disconnections, this is incentive to some people.
Also experience on match completion, if you die once and quit you'll get such a pitiful amount of exp the time spent waiting for the next match not being worth the exp gain but getting more exp for the whole match, again incentive to stay..

There is not that much MUSE can do about the rage quitters, they see a shooter game on sale and buy it without looking to see if they will like the game... So I think this is less, what can muse do to help and more what can we do to help...
Utilize the tools we have in game and steam to faster separate the good the bad and the ugly.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 03:53:53 am »
It is an age old problem but one that becomes more prominent with MM systems. MMOs solve it by cooldowns as a punishment. Sure sometimes disconnects/etc get caught by it but the greater damage is done by the quitters, not the innocent who happens to rarely get caught.

I warned about this too. If you add MM, this will be a problem. These players are often newbs and have no concept of XP or even desire to level up at all. They just want to win and if they see a challenge to hard, they'll quit and find an easier match.

So, given Muse's track record with rocking the boat and actually punishing bad players which hurt the good players, there is another way this can be done.

Instead of direct time lock on an account for quitting early, do a 100% XP reduction. For every quit the reduction increases up till an hour. I'd even say make the reduction visible on the character. Maybe a color code or icon on their name. Then you know when you are playing with these players and can prepare for it. Course you could hide this and just put it on their profile cause likely someone will cry discrimination from this. Which players would do. I don't doubt that. Heck if I saw a bunch of debuffed players join in I'd go requeue and hope for a new lobby.  But. the simple fact is, it would work. Would be a soft punishment that would allow the community to punish these players by just not playing with them.

When they finally learn they can't come and go and enrage allies/foes, they'll either go back to CoD or shape up. "Why am I still level 1? I've played a dozen matches!" "Well that is because you've quit every single match early and gained no XP. Finish matches and level up!"

Hmm, thinking about that, adding a simple bonus XP boost for match completion would also help this problem. The XP increase is already extremely small outside of achievements.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 03:55:31 am by Gilder Unfettered »

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 07:19:49 am »
Theres plenty of info available for noobs to listen  and read. they just don't bother.

Only improvement in noob gameplay is when you force their hand. If noobs can bring the correct tools then at least I can begin teaching fundamentals.

You can't teach anything to a extinguisher, chem, buff with bumpers and inci ammo engie

Well, the info aren't so obvious. They'd either have to go through a pretty shabby tutorial, dig through the forums, or check our poorly updated wiki... The popular youtubers were good at advertising the game, but not so much at giving the basics.

And you can teach to an extinguisher, chem, buff engi. You can teach him the trick with abandoning match and rejoining with a different load out. That's something fresh players (I say fresh instead of noob) could definitely learn. You can teach him stuff like, no need for two fire tools, no need for helm tools when you won't be on helm, consider heatsink your first few matches, and stuff like that.

Manual. Its right there. I keep saying it on global. read the manual.

and lol most noobs don't even know what tools are and barely even know how to move. You think I'm going to be assuming they know how to navigate menus correctly if they can't even move forward?

I've met so many noobs that can't even find the function keys....
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 07:26:15 am by Ceresbane »

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 08:52:52 am »
Yes and that's why they need help to learn, they're used to different games, many joining this one in the hopes for fun and games, and to blow stuff up.
Not everyone is born MLG-Pro and not everyone reads the instructions, hell I only did the tutorials when I started and I'm pretty sure pissed off a lot of higher levels too in my newbieness but then I met Captain Vann (Vannlander) who actually put up with my newb skills and helped teach the basics eventually leading to me joining the pretty baby grandmas clan which led to me not leaving the game and I continued playing until I met my now TT friends.

Another problem.with newbies, they're ignoring the calmer vets after they meet the automatically hostile and angry vets.. Again it falls on the community.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 10:32:28 am »
And the manual isn't much help either.

It tells you the basics, real, real basics. Whack broken stuff, get on helm to pilot, and tool descriptions.

Ship layouts, gun arcs, arming time, projectile drops, proper application of chem, and other things are not in manual. Some of these need to be unlocked, some of these just need to be taught or experienced.

As a big game nerd, I've read through all the manuals. I won most novice matches, but it took digging through the forum to learn how to effectively use piloting tools and etc.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 05:16:29 pm »
Would this also affect rejoining the same game or only ragequitting to find a new match?  Because we are all familiar with the circumstance in which you're dropped into a lobby with two seconds left on the clock and can't change your loadout so you have to abandon match to adjust it, and I would be pretty annoyed if there were a cooldown preventing that.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 08:14:38 pm »
Would this also affect rejoining the same game or only ragequitting to find a new match?  Because we are all familiar with the circumstance in which you're dropped into a lobby with two seconds left on the clock and can't change your loadout so you have to abandon match to adjust it, and I would be pretty annoyed if there were a cooldown preventing that.

Good point well made.

Offline Hillerton [PC]

• Salutes: 10
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 10:28:15 am »
Me personally have long since advocated for a system of this type in any and all games where teamwork is needed. I dream of a system where the leave percentage could be used to determine your lock out time, maybe something like:
100-95% completion - It was most likely you can not join another game until the reconnect timer goes down to 0 (3 min of time)
95-70% - Maybe not all of those are dcs but not to bad (5 or 10 min lockout (can ofc rejoin the ruining game as normal))
<70% - You clearly don't care about your teammates so a longer time is valid (30 min)

Non of these are horribly long but I do think that even small punishments can make people think twice as even 10 min can be enough to kill your buss. This system also caters to players who have played more (I do believe them to be less likely to quit without a good reason). It also allows people who dc to get back in their game without penalty, and well if you have a dc in more than 30% of your games I doubt that the game is playable for you any way.

Either way I think something have to be done as right now entire ships can leave after one death and just ruin a game completely. And this game focuses so much on teamwork that just one person leaving might ruin the game for everyone... :(

PS I doubt xp loss will be enough for any one to care seeing how fast you can level and that most of these guys will stay as long as they are wining

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 08:10:31 pm »
Good notes Hillerton. Salute!

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 09:35:30 pm »
I think a simple mechanic would be a lockout, if someone ragequits the game after first engagement they can't join any other lobbies for 5 minutes, and the timer would increase as their leave ratio gets worse. Like hillerton says.

If you try to join a different lobby or crewform or solo queue (practice mode still allowed) you get an annoying popup "FINISH YOUR OLD GAME FIRST BEFORE STARTING ANOTHER ONE", and a button to rejoin the old one.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 09:37:45 pm by Omniraptor »

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2015, 02:20:23 am »
Oh hey, could just use the stock rejoin thing as a lockout. So they can't join or start anything new for 2 minutes. That would help.

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 08:45:54 am »
I quite like the "reduce xp gain for an hour per DC" idea, but as Hillerton mentioned, these type of people are probably more about winning. What of a system where if you DC and don't reconnect, you're forced to play in Novice matches for 2 hours if you're below level 8? I haven't been in a novice match in almost two years, so I have no idea what goes on in there, but I'm assuming 80% of rage DC's are in normal matches from Novice players, seeing as Novice matches are, well, novice, and a bit more easy on the new players.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2015, 03:07:27 pm »
work around.

click exit game. restart.