Author Topic: Cryo-Gun, and Antifreeze  (Read 5906 times)

Offline Westington

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Cryo-Gun, and Antifreeze
« on: January 20, 2015, 12:07:53 am »
I had an idea while listening to "Steampunk Holiday" by "Reginald Pikedevant" What I am proposing is the addition of a new gun, and a new engineering tool. The concept of the "Cryo-gun" is to be similar to the flamethrower, however with smaller range and shoots concentrated liquid nitrogen. What this gun aims to do is freeze enemy guns, engines, the hull and the balloon. When frozen these parts become unrepairable, and the guns unusable until thawed out with the Antifreeze spray. This creates a window of opportunity where an enemy ship is without the means to shoot or repair, allowing for heavy bombardment. However, this comes at great risk to the ship with the Cryo-gun as they must get close to the enemy ship to freeze the parts, to make it not so challenging the gun should have a much finer zoom in to target the parts more precisely. If engineers do not have the spray, do not worry, the freezing effects only last for a short time until naturally warming up.

It is my belief that by adding this Cryo-gun and the Antifreeze spray there adds more options for captains to wage war with. Also, I think it will create another reason why teamwork, communication, and teambuilding are the most important aspects of this game. It will add more to the "What if?" factor, wondering if the enemy will have this gun or not, and deciding if it is worth having the tools to deal with this new issue. This is a raw concept I came up with, and though I do not have the fine details like exact range, ammo capacity, potential ammo type, etc I wanted to leave that open for adjustment to see what would be fair in everyone's eyes, not just mine.

Offline Kestril

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
Re: Cryo-Gun, and Antifreeze
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 06:28:11 pm »
I think while it might be thematically different, the role it would play is the same as the flamethrower.

So that's a "no" from me.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 07:08:49 pm »
Lose the antifreeze and freezing. Not being able to repair something would be very irritating.   Go with utility and pure damage.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 09:29:41 pm »
The main problem is that the engineer loadouts can't accommodate another tool as there are only 3 tool slots.

I had a dream about a cryo gun once but the main purpose was to slow down enemy guns and engines with a stream of shatter damage and a secondary 'freezing' effect that affects RoF, turning speed, and reload.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:35:29 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Lieutenant Noir

• Salutes: 17
    • [❤™]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 10:03:59 pm »
Maybe the freeze would cover the component in ice and the engi has to break the ice on the frozen component using a mallet, spanner, or wrench.

I would be down for slowing engine acceleration, shooting speed, reload speed, gun turn acceleration, etc

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 05:36:42 am »
Maybe the freeze would cover the component in ice and the engi has to break the ice on the frozen component using a mallet, spanner, or wrench.

I would be down for slowing engine acceleration, shooting speed, reload speed, gun turn acceleration, etc

I'd agree with the slow down too, particularly useful on a squid and against a squid I'd imagine, sneak in and under (because we need more guns with up arcs..) freeze engines fly away, ally attacks.

Squid comes your way.. "Freeze Ray!!" *Zap!* and the squid is done.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 10:15:08 am »
I think while it might be thematically different, the role it would play is the same as the flamethrower.

So that's a "no" from me.

^

Theres also something called. get good and actually work for that component destroy with actual skilful gunning.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 10:17:41 am by Ceresbane »