Author Topic: Incendiary Rounds  (Read 56733 times)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: Incendiary Rounds
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 12:50:00 pm »
I didn't think incind Carronade would be that effective until my ship was shot by one. The balloon going from full to almost dead with a couple stacks of fire and random other bits catching on fire too was pretty bad. Also unlike a complete balloon kill that could be double teamed and brought up quickly an almost dead burning balloon limited the ships mobility and took longer to deal with. I think it messed with the engineer's rhythm.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 01:06:20 pm »
I didn't think incind Carronade would be that effective until my ship was shot by one. The balloon going from full to almost dead with a couple stacks of fire and random other bits catching on fire too was pretty bad. Also unlike a complete balloon kill that could be double teamed and brought up quickly an almost dead burning balloon limited the ships mobility and took longer to deal with. I think it messed with the engineer's rhythm.
And many people will not keep up their chem cycles if they believe they're only going against carro gatling, giving a very sneaky oppertunity

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2015, 01:46:51 pm »
If you shove in incendiary after a prolonged engagement, especially on a gattling and/or a carronade. The hull/ balloon are never going back up imo

Picture this: You've destroyed hull or balloon with a gat or carronade respectively.
You being the sly dog you are, load in incendiary.
If they mallet rather than chem, yes they have more health, but then it's on fire plus it's taking good damage from the gun. It get's destroyed. 
If they chemspray, it has no health, and is destroyed again due to good damage from gat or carro. 
See what I'm getting at?

Although it is possible to repair efficient enough that they don't set on fire, they have a gat and a carronade on you. #BrokenComponents
And after a while the chem will run out no matter how good you are. Then you will burn. And things will never be repaired ever again.

In summary:
Incendiary can be checkmate ammo in the gat or carronade imo.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 03:34:06 pm »
Only counts for standard pub match. In any highlvl game people will observe builds and loadouts and even if not its just a one timer. And if you need such a prolonged engagement and count on onetimers then you already did a huge mistake imo.
Rather get the intented kill by improving the execution of your main goal.
Blend them down, annoy them and either have your ally do the same if youre planning for double disable or get the quick kill from your ally in a forced 1n2.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 03:52:03 pm »
Sometimes you need a back up to escape a 2v1 yourself, incendiary Carronade is pretty versatile and punishes enemy for slight mistakes. If they are perfect on chem/repair they still take a decent amount of damage, incendiary just punishes more.

Perfect engagements don't always happen, so it is good to have a plan B in case you do get in a prolonged engagement or whatever.

Offline ZnC

• Salutes: 40
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 04:33:49 am »
Sometimes you need a back up to escape a 2v1 yourself, incendiary Carronade is pretty versatile and punishes enemy for slight mistakes. If they are perfect on chem/repair they still take a decent amount of damage, incendiary just punishes more.

Perfect engagements don't always happen, so it is good to have a plan B in case you do get in a prolonged engagement or whatever.

+1. I've studied Incendiary for a long time, and it does certainly feel like it was made for the Carronades. In theory chem hard counters it, but in practice perfect chem is much harder to keep up with your main engi being dedicated to rebuild and repair balloon, and 2nd engi having to choose the lesser evil - repair or maintain chem/extinguish. It's also strong against ships that don't usually run chem cycles like Mobula, Spire.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 09:13:17 am »
My usual Carro ammo was Heavy, Greased, and Incen anyway. Spreading fire is NEVER bad, and I figured that pressure is pressure, and that the engies would have to screw up eventually.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 05:18:29 pm »
It's good for close-range mines.  Otherwise I never use it.

Offline Lovely LadyBell

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 4
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 11:33:00 am »
Personally i love to incendiary round on mines and the flamer. Not all the time on flamer but i find incendiary mines to be very effective. Incendiary flamer is also good but is very slow moving in my opinion. Both are quite fun though and worth using.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2015, 03:21:04 pm »
Incendiary Lumberjack is extremely potent especially on a lumberfish where the lumberjack is more about control than damage. You to shoot closer and the high damage and aoe of the lj means that its harder to keep chems up.

The ammo is extremely situational and I would say necessitate a gunner (BLERG!). I can't think of a gun that benefits from only using incendiary.

BTW it is horrrrrrible in the flamer.

Offline Lieutenant Noir

• Salutes: 17
    • [❤™]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2015, 05:10:27 pm »
I once ran double Carro squid
with the right side Cannonade engineer using incendiary

It was going pretty good until I realized I couldn't fly it :P

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 01:20:03 pm »
Incendiary should work on flamers but its totally not needed.
The roughly 25% on the flamer is already enough takin gthe big (360) clipsize, the great rate of fire and the ability for flamer particles to pass components and set several different things on fire.

BTW it is horrrrrrible in the flamer.

Incendiary flamer gives more fire stacks per second than greased flamer, and the most fire stacks per second compared to any other ammo type you'll be using on the flamer.

The flamer base chance for fire ignition is currently 18%.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:23:10 pm by Extirminator »

Offline ZnC

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 07:01:21 pm »
Incendiary flamer gives more fire stacks per second than greased flamer, and the most fire stacks per second compared to any other ammo type you'll be using on the flamer.

The flamer base chance for fire ignition is currently 18%.

Hi Extirminator,

I'm not sure if I missed any changes in the recent patches, but in 1.3.6 at least, flamethrower has "1.6 Direct Fire Damage with 27.4% of igniting 1 fire stack".
Based on this, I think the ignition rate of greased does beat incendiary, and not by a small amount either. ;D

Offline ZnC

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2015, 08:36:07 pm »
Apologies for the double post, because I can't find the edit button. But it seems that you are right because there was a hotfix that nerfed it to 1.2 Direct Fire with 18% chance of ignition. Still, I think Greased has a slightly better ignition rate, however Incendiary can fire longer without reloading.

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 07:20:25 am »
Apologies for the double post, because I can't find the edit button. But it seems that you are right because there was a hotfix that nerfed it to 1.2 Direct Fire with 18% chance of ignition. Still, I think Greased has a slightly better ignition rate, however Incendiary can fire longer without reloading.

With your current data, of incendiary fire ignition chance improvement of overall 20% - it does come up on top:
Greased:
shots/sec: 26.672
fire ignition chance: 18% (0.18)
fires/sec: 26.672*0.18=4.8

Greased will ignite 4.8 fires per second.

Incendiary:
shots/sec: 11.669
fire ignition chance: 18% + 20% (0.18+0.2=0.38)
fires/sec: 11.669*0.38=4.43

Incendiary will ignite 4.43 fires per second.

That DOES mean that greased flamer would ignite more fires per second than the incendiary flamer.
However, it seems like most of you, if not all were a bit confused by muse's inability to keep stuff updated.

As evident in this thread- https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4569.0.html that I made, about incendiary behavior. Which as you can see is supported by a person with code access:

Incendiary is in fact 25%. It seems that it is added on top before the roll for fire happens. After that, anything on the object taking damage that modifies fire chance (such as hydrogen) is then multiplied into the final chance to catch fire.

Now let's do the calculating again,
Greased wasn't affected by the fire ignition chance mistake, so we can count on it being 4.8 fires per second still.

Recalculation for incendiary:
shots/sec: 11.669
fire ignition chance: 18% + 25% (0.18+0.25=0.43)
fires/sec: 11.669*0.43=5

Incendiary will ignite 5 fires per second.