Author Topic: What makes you like Guns of Icarus?  (Read 18993 times)

Offline Silent Marauder

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 14
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: What makes you like Guns of Icarus?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 07:09:45 am »
Lion gun
Lochnagar heavy flak
Greased mortar
Aft poon
Looking at enemy's struggle to keep the hull up

*deep breath* And Lobbies of Icarus. God rest it's soul.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 11:31:06 am »
I mean, this game is probably the launch pad for my career in game development. Like Jacob said, the devs are some of the most engaged in their community out of any game I have EVER SEEN. It's truly what has kept this game alive. Launching an indie game that is multiplayer only is nearly a death sentence. Let alone the fact that it requires intense teamwork and communication. It's a hell of a feat to say the least. The fact that this long after launch new people can just buy the game and be welcomed into it and have people of similar skill to play against is insanely awesome. The ladies and gentlemen of Muse Games have repeatedly improved the first time player experience since they just keep coming in.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 03:47:11 pm »
I mean, this game is probably the launch pad for my career in game development. Like Jacob said, the devs are some of the most engaged in their community out of any game I have EVER SEEN. It's truly what has kept this game alive. Launching an indie game that is multiplayer only is nearly a death sentence. Let alone the fact that it requires intense teamwork and communication. It's a hell of a feat to say the least. The fact that this long after launch new people can just buy the game and be welcomed into it and have people of similar skill to play against is insanely awesome. The ladies and gentlemen of Muse Games have repeatedly improved the first time player experience since they just keep coming in.

Yep. It is the only game of it's kind, only community of it's kind, and only devs of their kind. Course it hasn't been all sugar and spice. I'd say generally positive with moments of "arrrg!!" mixed in. Lot of things would be more positive had GOIO taken off and become a huge success. Muse could have hired more help, dedicated more resources, and made something really glorious. Lot of complaint threads wouldn't have ever existed.

But then there are moments when Muse does something and your in the process of walking away. They release something on the dev app, something you had wanted to be fixed since ever, and just as you had given up, there it is. Its like they did it just for you so you wouldn't give up on them.

Its like Muse has moments where they are this giant alien monster wiping out the world but then they stop and save a kitten and you go..."awww, I can't stay mad at you!"

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 08:01:04 pm »
This thread deserves a necro.

Also, Gilder speaks the truth.

Offline MagKel

• Salutes: 53
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood of GOIO
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 09:27:42 am »
teamwork, oh i love the teamwork. those moments of frenetic activity to keep a ship alive in a 2v1 and declare when it is over: "Well, we lasted more than it was natural".

or the meta gunnery, the rapid exchange of information between the two gun operators trying to exploit a breach in the hull against a skilled opponent. holding your mortar, holding yourself from rushing to repairs, visualizing the trajectory and firing at the exact moment that the hull drops while the first projectile is about to connect.

but maybe the sweetest thing is when someone just arrived in the game follows your instructions and does a great job, the satisfaction in their voice for their first game where they felt the true spirit of GOIO. They stick around then, you search a new game with them (maybe invite someone else and introduce them) and while waiting every veteran tries to condense as much information as they can on the new recruits because they know they will listen. That feeling of having found someone like you, like us among the scrubs.

In military jargon is called a Cadre, the small group of officers that informally train the fresh regiment from within. It is a french word derived by the italian quadro, latin quadrus: the square. A tight formation of veterans in the center that will carry the regiment to victory.

Offline Foxx

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 3
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 02:01:14 pm »
1 - Community.   the friendliest one i know of, perhaps because

2 - Teamwork.  While one person can make a difference, you could have the best pilot, or best engie, or best gunner, but without the others just won't work.

3 - Munkers.  just.. whenever i'm on a munker ship, i can't help but be laughing.

4 - Really do love that intro tune.  <3
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 02:03:17 pm by Foxx »

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 04:22:39 pm »
Really do love that intro tune.  <3

I KNOW

WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2015, 09:17:24 am »
when an entire lobby is talking at once.
It's just hilarious

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 09:48:41 am »
I like me in guns of icarus.

Offline PixelatedVolume

• Salutes: 2
    • [PIEπ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2015, 06:46:29 am »
Intro violins.

But also  - and I think a lot of people can agree with this - part of what I love about the game is coming up with a plan, whether captaining with a brew load out, coordinating with the other gunners, whatever, and then seeing it work.  It takes a few tries sometimes, but then there are the moments where you rise out of the clouds across a metamideon's bow and unload a lethal junker broadside into him...  That's when I learned to love gat-flak Junkers.

More generally, the game is very visceral.  Every gun makes a distinctive noise, recoil is perfect for giving that feeling you're shooting something POWERFUL.  Hit markers are big and white and distinctive, you just feel good dishing them out.

Also - antiairship flamethrowers.  Need I say more.

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2015, 09:04:34 am »
Pretty sure those aren't violins.

Pretty sure those are violas and cellos.