Author Topic: Free keys on steam  (Read 6792 times)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
Free keys on steam
« on: January 08, 2015, 05:39:13 pm »
Seeing alot of game keys for the game being handed out fairly often in steam.

Are these legit? As in actually bought first to be shared?

Offline Watchmaker

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 55
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: Free keys on steam
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 10:04:23 am »
Keys can come from 4-packs or from buying the game on third-party sites we give them to.

EDIT: However, there is no way to validate that a given key has not already been used.  So I'd recommend against trading for keys with individuals you do not trust completely.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 10:16:12 am by Watchmaker »

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 02:45:16 pm »
Keys can come from 4-packs or from buying the game on third-party sites we give them to.

EDIT: However, there is no way to validate that a given key has not already been used.  So I'd recommend against trading for keys with individuals you do not trust completely.

Nah I dun pull that kinda crap. If theres something I want. I get it myself.
Or in the case of stuff that can't be bought in guns. Beat you guys up for it.

I'm just curious if you found it suspicious that there are people giving out free keys to the game.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 04:11:36 pm »
I guess they probably got the key in a game bundle like this one which includes a Guns of Icarus key and they already own the game. 

Note that the Steam Trading Policy does not allow people to trade "anything that cannot be added into the trade window" which includes steam keys.  If someone wants to trade or even wants money for steam keys it's probably a scam and you will lose your money/items for an invalid or used key, but if it's given for free there is no risk.

If they were asking for money or a trade, the post would have been removed for violating the steam trading policy.