Author Topic: Replays and Post-Game Statistics?  (Read 10577 times)

Offline Sun Chaser

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Replays and Post-Game Statistics?
« on: January 07, 2015, 07:48:02 pm »
Hi guys, I got the game a while ago but only recently started playing for real.  I'm a long-time vet of Dota.  Loving GOIO so far, but I'm missing some features from DotA that helped me improve.  A couple of the features I really like about Dota is that you can download replays and watch from different perspectives after the fact, and detailed Post-Game reports.  In DotA, there was an incredible report that showed how much damage you did to each hero, how many times you used each ability, how many seconds of stun, silence, etc. but in Dota 2, you have to sign up for a 3rd party web site to get this info.  dotabuff.com comes to  mind.

So is there a way to download replays and get match statistics that I'm missing?  Or is this something i should post in the Suggestion Forum?

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Replays and Post-Game Statistics?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 10:57:34 pm »
As far as I know there isn't as while there is a spectator system there is no in game recording or replay feature.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 11:38:51 pm »
That's what the community is for.

Unlike Dota where a single person can pretty much carry a fair portion (in a similar way a vet ship can carry a good portion of 4v 4, but impossible to solo entirely) of the match as you have complete control of the circumstances.

In Guns, you must work exactly like a cog in a machine. You can play to your best ability, but you're only as good as your weakest crewmate.

Besides there isn't really all that much to the game. You learn the basics and simply learn to do these very basic tasks better and better.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 11:54:15 pm »
It's been discussed before, but the creation of replays is virtually impossible (or at least incredibly difficult) to create, and would have to have you own a dev copy of Unity or something like that.

It's one of those would be nice, maybe could be done, but there are bigger fish to fry and Muse is a small team.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 08:29:56 am »
To improve you rely on playing with more experienced players than you.

I've had 1,500+ plus games (small compared to most.)
And I am still improving, I still make mistakes etc.

Some teams record their scrims with people I know that much.

Offline Sun Chaser

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 03:11:14 pm »
I guess it makes sense that there is less to be improved by watching yourself.  Still, it would be nice to watch tournament games from free-moving spectator mode.

How about a GOIO version of dotabuff?  The playerbase is a lot smaller than Dota 2's but generally more serious, and I think people would get a lot out of seeing detailed game statistics.  It's easy to theorycraft things, i.e. Heavy Clip does more damage than Greased Rounds for X gun, Heatsink isn't worth it for guns that are always in use, etc., but it would be nice to have statistics accumulate over time to evaluate this.

Does anybody have any idea how much information is available client-side for the game?  The reason this works for Dota 2 is the game client stores a lot more match information than is visible during/after the match, and the website accesses these files through your steam account.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 04:20:25 pm »
So you are saying things like:

Components destroyed by each ammo type?
Damage dealt with each ammo type?

That sort of thing?

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 04:29:16 pm »
Start playing competetively, join a clan or form one that does play competetive, get into small or big tourneys that stream, hope that they do and see exactly what you are doing wrong and what you could have done in a circumstance that you knew the situation.

Well thats what we did

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 09:58:40 pm »
We used to have a lot more stats...then Muse did this and now we've got stats that mean absolutely nothing...

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 03:32:28 am »
Start playing competetively, join a clan or form one that does play competetive, get into small or big tourneys that stream, hope that they do and see exactly what you are doing wrong and what you could have done in a circumstance that you knew the situation.

Well thats what we did

I think this is much better and more efficient than replays MUSE could implement as spectators will follow the important points of the match too and added commentary helps too. :)

Though statistics being put in (or back in, depending how you see it.) would be helpful. :)

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 05:50:48 am »
Replays? In UNITY? HAH, FAT CHANCE! (I mean, literally. And also muse ain't a multi-million dollar game studio with tons of extra money to throw at the servers to allow for extra storage.)

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 06:28:29 am »
Mac, that is very true!

Fortunately we have great streamers and close knit community who will be willing to help!
#gottalovethemlgproscene!

Offline Il Mostro

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 4
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 09:09:44 am »
Replays don't need to be stored on a server. I would love to be able to save the replay at the end of a game on my local disk, then just be able to load it and watch it in spectator interface.
It would allow to:
1. Improve your gameplay by watching it and realizing what mistakes you made.
2. Create videos to post on youtube that don't have just one POV without having everyone playing record the thing at the same time (while also having one or two guys to spectate the match just to record it). So yeah, it would make my life (and other guys' life who are interested in popularizing the game) a whole lot easier.

Also think competitive players would benefit a lot from replays.
One thing that requires some thought is: do you also record the in-game speech for every player in a replay? I think it would be interesting ...

When asked MUSE about this in a dev fireside chat, they said that unity doesn't support replays at the moment, but it might happen in the future, in which case they would take the time to implement replays into the game.

Offline ZnC

• Salutes: 40
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 11:09:47 pm »
Replays don't need to be stored on a server. I would love to be able to save the replay at the end of a game on my local disk, then just be able to load it and watch it in spectator interface.
It would allow to:
1. Improve your gameplay by watching it and realizing what mistakes you made.
2. Create videos to post on youtube that don't have just one POV without having everyone playing record the thing at the same time (while also having one or two guys to spectate the match just to record it). So yeah, it would make my life (and other guys' life who are interested in popularizing the game) a whole lot easier.

Also think competitive players would benefit a lot from replays.
One thing that requires some thought is: do you also record the in-game speech for every player in a replay? I think it would be interesting ...

When asked MUSE about this in a dev fireside chat, they said that unity doesn't support replays at the moment, but it might happen in the future, in which case they would take the time to implement replays into the game.

I second everything you just said. Watching your own games helps a lot, especially competitive teams. And also about what the devs said in the Fireside chat - they are keen to implement it when Unity supports the feature.