Author Topic: Tame The Trolls  (Read 25513 times)

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Tame The Trolls
« on: January 06, 2015, 07:29:33 pm »
Firstly I'd like to ask you to watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbV_KT1iGao
Because watching it I realised I'd really like to see a similar (or the same) system in goio, which is also a similar game to LoL (at least when we talk about importance of cooperation). We need a system to recognise people who are worth having them on our ship. There were many suggestions like showing the number of recommendations player have or some other karma-ish system. Also maybe there's a possibility for "a tribunal" which would consist of CA's / mods who (I think) could easily handle 'some' of the reports. As to the reward part I think that reward could be some costume availible to get 'only' this way and of course a medal (or some other kind of sign on the profile and/or nickname). I'm sorry if it's a bit chaotic but tell me what do you think.

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
Re: Tame The Trolls
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 07:55:40 pm »
I'd like somehting like this abit harder to form a tribunal though cause there isnt a lot of recorded communication during a game which the tribunal in LOL is very reliant on. But a redo of the thumb up system to show who are really good sports or fun people to play with, I think would be worth the effort to implement.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 08:49:06 pm »
Yeah, thumbs up/down systems don't work. XBL tried it and all it did was make it so people could get back at others. I've seen it before and I've known people who would just thumb down everyone after a match just to ruin their rep because they could. The even more extreme cases would do it with a voice message. I got a couple in Halo 3 years back. You'd win a match and then you'd get a voice message with a lower rep. Kid would just cuss you out over it all. They couldn't do it in game cause you could mute them so they'd go out of their way to harass you outside of the game. Just another reason I stopped playing my 360 and only use it for movies now, and why XBL should be perpetually ddos'd. No one should have to subscribe to a gaming service and put up with creatures like that.

Offline Tinker Belle

• Salutes: 4
    • [థ౪థ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 07:25:01 am »
The fact that people are being noticed that someone reported them is something other games lack, while GoI has it.
I never read a troll again after sending in a report. They actually "see" when they are being annoying.

So do not think any further and start your day with a proper report like everyone else :)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 09:50:41 am »
you get awarded for commendations... its how the teaching achieves and citizen achieves work. It even comes with items and badges as you progress through it.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 10:18:45 am »
you get awarded for commendations... its how the teaching achieves and citizen achieves work. It even comes with items and badges as you progress through it.

You mean Gold/Silver/Bronze Citizen badges? Please, those are EXTREMELY easy to get. Golden Citizen doesn't mean anything now. And I also suggested it some day that there's some indicator of citizenship shown next to the nick (like just a bronze/silver/gold dot) so you know right on what you're dealing with. Also recommendations are.... tricky because firstly it's pretty easy to be an average gunner but much harder to be average engineer or pilot, and also pilots get potential additional 3 recommendations per match.

Yeah, thumbs up/down systems don't work. XBL tried it and all it did was make it so people could get back at others. I've seen it before and I've known people who would just thumb down everyone after a match just to ruin their rep because they could. The even more extreme cases would do it with a voice message. I got a couple in Halo 3 years back. You'd win a match and then you'd get a voice message with a lower rep. Kid would just cuss you out over it all. They couldn't do it in game cause you could mute them so they'd go out of their way to harass you outside of the game. Just another reason I stopped playing my 360 and only use it for movies now, and why XBL should be perpetually ddos'd. No one should have to subscribe to a gaming service and put up with creatures like that.

Well recommendation system doesn't work either, in my opinion. I think that such people would be quickly reported for doing so, but I guess I understand your concern.

Offline Caprontos

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 11:32:06 am »
I think its best for now to just let muse handle trolls behind the scenes. Since I don't feel there are so many they can't handle it themselves.. (I've seen one in the last 130 or so games personally).

Also positive enforcement only matters when you care about it.. If someone is playing with the intent to troll - you can't stop that by rewarding or punishing them. You can delay  them with punishment but short of removing them from the game that's all.

If the game ever gets popular enough to where its a major issue I could see them doing more to combat it though.

- That said I am always for more free stuff for just playing the game normally..

Offline Dementio

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 02:19:45 pm »
I know that some people call people trolls or report them when these "trolls" have played less than 20 matches and probably still just don't know what to do. Some almost never respond in chat or voice chat or even know english.

The last actual troll that tried ruining somebody else's gaming experience that I have experienced in this game, on my ship or ally captain slot, was, I think, close to a year ago or more. He was responding to me, brought the right ammo even and randomly decided to have his own fun. Well, I did have a mine launcher, but that didn't mean he had to destroy it all the time with lochnagar... he eventually stopped destroying the gun, probably because he didn't want to rebuild it anymore.
Another troll ages ago was apparantly somebody that was sabotaging a certain wanted guy so that his own wanted guy has an easier time winning, that was somewhere around last summer.
Then there was this one butthurt guy that just stayed on the ship, because he was literally just butthurt. Didn't do anything but blocking the front gun by sitting on it and writing in chat how butthurt he was.

For pretty much everybody else a simple block and report is literally all it takes. The more insulting or harrasing some people are the higher the chance they will quit playing the game within a month, top. I didn't even have to block anybody after almost 4000 matches and don't see the same mindlessly annoying screamer twice. Or at least, I don't hear them trying to be as verbally annoying as they can again.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 02:26:18 pm »
I've had assholes, but no trolls.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 11:47:55 pm »
well... which is more common idiots or trolls?

I've seen plenty of idiots.

And I know one who's just a dick (Rengar... god that lil snot needs a punch). He goes in as a gunner and clearly makes it obvious that he hears the requests to change class or bring ammo r etc... and just swears at you.

then when it comes a time when he needs to be useful he ragequits at the first sign of trouble.

Tho... I get the feeling he's not a legit troll, as his intention is not to get a rise out of me. Its more he just wants things to be his way, where he can play however he wants (clearly he's some spoiled brat by how he swears and tantrums), IN A GODDAMN TEAM GAME. He's just a selfish lil brat with no common sense because mama didn't give him 5 figures across the jaw.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 12:13:17 am »
I've had assholes, but no trolls.

Where do you think Trolls are birthed from? :D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 12:16:09 am by Gilder Unfettered »

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 03:17:03 am »
Can we have a wall of trolls we like?

#TeamButBlaster

#TeamTank

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 08:31:43 am »
Ahh team tank, I remember them.

It's funny because they were on a spire.

Offline Fiesty

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 02:01:45 pm »
Perhaps a easy solution with some immersion is ingame now.

Rank.

You characters each have a rank which determines where they play.

So, if a ship unanimously downvotes a player. That player is kicked and loses 5 levels. If they contniously troll, they will be stuck in novice where admins can easily pick them from their rank vrs game hours. Then ban them from the game, could even be automatic.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 03:44:48 pm »
Perhaps a easy solution with some immersion is ingame now.

Rank.

You characters each have a rank which determines where they play.

So, if a ship unanimously downvotes a player. That player is kicked and loses 5 levels. If they contniously troll, they will be stuck in novice where admins can easily pick them from their rank vrs game hours. Then ban them from the game, could even be automatic.

I guess you are suggesting that levels should be mercurial (goes up and down) and that match making should reflect it.

I think the community had a discussion similar to this. It's a good thing to bring up because, as a community, we haven't come to a solid conclusion.

Anyways... Some of my thoughts on it.
Matchmaker matches players according to their win/lose stats.
Troll players often lose; Communicative, teamwork players often win.
But troll players have not been filtered away from good players. This forum discussion, populated by proven players, is indicative of that.

My conclusion is that there's still too few active players at a given moment. We're doing better than 14 players online, but we are still not at 4-digits.

Steam sales and other event-related boost to active players are something of an exception: a lot of new or inexperienced players.