Author Topic: Food in this world  (Read 18999 times)

Offline Maximum

• Salutes: 0
    • [[[]]]
    • View Profile
Food in this world
« on: January 05, 2015, 04:53:29 pm »
Hey there! New to the forums and for some reason I feel like I need to ask about what you guys think the food in the Guns of Icarus world is like.

Ive been playing the game for a while, and the character I play as Ive imagined her having a fondness for lolipops and always having one in her mouth.  The lolipops themselves probably being made of caramel or hardened molasses, covered in some sort of chocolate or maybe even honey.

So do you guys have any ideas for for foods specifically found in GoI? Popular dishes? Special meals served in specific regions? Common rations brought aboard the airships?

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
Re: Food in this world
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 05:01:03 pm »
I imagine like most universes set in  fantasy era, all the food would be delicacies from the victorian era-middle ages.

Where fruit and spices are traded at high prices due to their exotic nature and difficulty of maintaining their quality.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 06:26:07 pm »
Rats, mostly. Also... no, just rats.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 06:41:42 pm »
but sky whales

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 09:20:05 pm »
but sky whales

I swear to god, when we finally get Skywhales, I'm going to open a burger shop.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 09:51:45 pm »
but sky whales

I'm gonna open an all you can meat flying bistro and call it Peta. Alternatively I'd cally it sky monstro.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 10:10:05 pm »
but sky whales

I'm gonna open an all you can meat flying bistro and call it Peta. Alternatively I'd cally it sky monstro.

...We could team up!  Should we build another ship, or use one that's already there?  The Galleon has plenty of unused space in it's main engine room...  But the Mobula is bread-like, and it's a merchant ship...

Offline Alexor Huxley

• Salutes: 9
    • [ATR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 10:17:17 pm »
Yeah, I'd imagine real food is enormously expensive.

Given that most of the world map is desert and/or barren wasteland, agriculture is probably an almost exclusively Chaladonian phenomenon. Sure, the wonders of living plantlife may be spread around by the Guild, but realistically dwellers of the Burren and Arashi Desert only have agriculture in a very limited, Dust Bowl capacity. Roots. If they're lucky, they might catch some exotic desert yak. Angleans can support themselves a little more effectively with fishing the arctic waters; likewise with the Fjord-dwellers.

The Yesha Empire would have better luck hunting mountain game in the Rusted Range and supporting their people that way. The comparative abundance of food could explain their expansionist interests.

But yeah. I imagine everybody is pretty emaciated most of the time. Post-apocalyptia has never been a place of abundance, and I don't think GoI would be an exception to this rule.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 10:21:19 pm »

Given that most of the world map is desert and/or barren wasteland, agriculture is probably an almost exclusively Chaladonian phenomenon. Sure, the wonders of living plantlife may be spread around by the Guild, but realistically dwellers of the Burren and Arashi Desert only have agriculture in a very limited, Dust Bowl capacity. Roots. If they're lucky, they might catch some exotic desert yak. Angleans can support themselves a little more effectively with fishing the arctic waters; likewise with the Fjord-dwellers.

The Yesha Empire would have better luck hunting mountain game in the Rusted Range and supporting their people that way. The comparative abundance of food could explain their expansionist interests.

But yeah. I imagine everybody is pretty emaciated most of the time. Post-apocalyptia has never been a place of abundance, and I don't think GoI would be an exception to this rule.

Have a Salute, for being serious where I was not.

o7

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 10:35:52 pm »
but sky whales

...We could team up!  Should we build another ship, or use one that's already there?  The Galleon has plenty of unused space in it's main engine room...  But the Mobula is bread-like, and it's a merchant ship...

We could be a chain of flying fighting food boats.
Also I think I found our advert.
http://youtu.be/gFq0oiRZRbs?t=5m45s

All hunting is with airships.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 10:40:56 pm by Ceresbane »

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 10:47:57 pm »
Welcome to Mobula's Aerial Pub & Grille, home of the finest rat burger in the skies.

Offline Alexor Huxley

• Salutes: 9
    • [ATR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 10:56:25 pm »
Quote from: Ceresbane
I would argue that people wouldn't waste their resources fueling airships for something as relatively menial as hunting, unless they lived so deep in the desert that not even hardy arid-climate game existed. Which would imply absolutely zero fresh water, which would further imply that people wouldn't be there anyway.

Since this is a steampunk universe, airship propellers are spun via steam engine. This means that the engine consumes both water and hard-wrought natural resources like coal (or, in a pinch, wood - whatever they're burning). The game they'd capture on a hunting expedition with an airship wouldn't efficiently feed their community to extract those resources.

Thus, I'd suggest that airships are used for freight and picking a fight, and any derivatives thereof. Anything that could produce an immediate profit, but not as a means to the simple end of subsisting.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 11:24:57 pm »
Quote from: Ceresbane
I would argue that people wouldn't waste their resources fueling airships for something as relatively menial as hunting, unless they lived so deep in the desert that not even hardy arid-climate game existed. Which would imply absolutely zero fresh water, which would further imply that people wouldn't be there anyway.

Since this is a steampunk universe, airship propellers are spun via steam engine. This means that the engine consumes both water and hard-wrought natural resources like coal (or, in a pinch, wood - whatever they're burning). The game they'd capture on a hunting expedition with an airship wouldn't efficiently feed their community to extract those resources.

Thus, I'd suggest that airships are used for freight and picking a fight, and any derivatives thereof. Anything that could produce an immediate profit, but not as a means to the simple end of subsisting.

I was saying a funny thing by saying a ridiculous thing... but fine let me remove my silly pants and put on my serious tighty whiteys.
Given the resource inequality of the various factions. One would think all of the factions are in highly important trade dealings.

One side has the resources to create technology while the other has the resources to keep an army on it's stomach. As such many conflicts between factions are highly localised within neighbouring borders, while "allied" factions maintain the warfront with supplies and resources which opposing neighbouring allies try to intercept and steal.

In that regard, food is likely the same whereever you go and maybe a few local recipe variation to differentiate, due to what fresh ingredients are on hand. Only upper class of any faction ever see anything exotic, not because they are particularly expensive (perhaps to import), but because these particular foods are left reserved for the upper classes to exclusively own, via rights to the lands and equipment and seeds and breeding farms that are not owned to trade away goods. But to exclusively be pocketed for their own leisurely dining.

Anything that is exported is likely procured through illegal means.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 12:55:09 am »
Welcome to Mobula's Aerial Pub & Grille, home of the finest whale burger in the skies.

Fix'd

Offline Lieutenant Noir

• Salutes: 17
    • [❤™]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 06:01:14 am »
I had the impression that terrain in this world had such unfit geometry that sea and land transport was unfit for trade, thus relying on the air for trade transportation. In this case, I don't think land cultivation and farming would fit such an uneven plane and you'd need the resources to properly maintain a population that supports an army.

I could defiantly see a "spire-like" vertical farming ship that supports on it's many levels or stories, rows and rows of crops
--Each level would support crops at an inclined plane to Maximize the surface area of crops exposed to sunlight.
--It could also spin while in the air to allow all crops to be exposed no matter what direction the sun is facing
--Kinda like this
     crops      _l l_      crops
     crops   _l       l_   crops
     crops_l             l_crops
--Being at such high altitudes, farmers would close off their crops in a translucent material. This is because high concentrations of winds mean increased transpiration and low temperatures, both are bad for max crop yield (Basically u want a floating greenhouse)
--The high temperatures resulted from the greenhouse-like environment could mean that the water vapor from clouds exposed to the translucent material could condense into water, thus funnel into the water supply.
--The bottom of the balloon (if the balloon is on top) could have a mirror-like material to reflect sunlight back onto the crops if the sun is setting at an angle where it is no longer shining above the crops.
That or the farmers on the ship could manually angle mechanical mirrors to shine sunlight onto the crops if the sun is below the ship.

I mean it's either this or an absolute crap ton of fishing

I could defiantly see Sky Whales as the most legendary, exotic delicacy reserved to only gods among men. Lets face it; they're big, can't hide anywhere, and we humans have a tendency to eradicate all the big and intimidating animals on earth.
-Don't deny it you want to hunt them, and there is now a reason as to why they're so ephemeral (besides, in the lore it stated that the ancients hunted giants)