Author Topic: Voice Chat in Different Ears  (Read 11779 times)

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
Voice Chat in Different Ears
« on: January 02, 2015, 07:51:12 pm »
I've had this thought a while ago, but it didn't seem important at the time. It still doesn't seem like a huge issue, but I decided to post about it.

Most pilots have experienced it. Crew chat and Captain chat overlaps and you can't hear what's going on. It's a rare occurrence, but it is a frustrating occurrence.

Is it possible to have Captain chat take priority to Crew chat? Or, as I thought, have them come out of different sid.es (L and R speakers or earphones or headsets).

It's a small problem and solutions are difficult. What do you guys think? Do you have a better solution? If so, please share. :)

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: Voice Chat in Different Ears
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 08:08:08 pm »
Some priority settings or the different slides for, say, crew / ally volume would be very nice and appreciated. And also indicator what chat is somebody using, for example in lobby if your teammate is using team voicechat or regular voicechat (or party voicechat!). Just add a damn letter next to the speaker icone and we'll be happy.

This should be mailed to Muse.

Offline SnaG

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 2
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 08:42:18 pm »
Yeah, there are definitely some improvements to be had for the ig voice chat. LR sliders as well as independent volume sliders would be great, as well as markers to identify what is party chat and what is crew/ captain chat ^^. I don't think it'd be too hard to implement? I have no idea what can be done with unity on this though.

Offline NuffimNam

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 1
    • [SREP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 08:51:21 pm »
I'd like to second this suggestion and emphasize that we need an overlay to know who is talking while in-game. Sometimes it's hard to tell which captain is speaking and an overlay which popped up with their name when they speak would help a ton.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 11:13:14 pm »
I'd like to second this suggestion and emphasize that we need an overlay to know who is talking while in-game. Sometimes it's hard to tell which captain is speaking and an overlay which popped up with their name when they speak would help a ton.

Isn't there an overlay in-game? Like *icon* Indreams *speaker icon*? I'm a little confused.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 01:10:12 am »
Sorry, I don't want different voices in different ears.  It would drive me crazy :P.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 03:55:39 am »
I don't mind the current system as I can't think of a better one myself.
Personally I've got little problems to filter out the voice I want to track. However lowering one of the channels volumes if they overlap might help. Sometimes it's the captain chat (positioning and target prioritization are important) and sometimes it's the crew chat (I really like to be informed about that pyramideon sneaking up on us). Perhaps a priority toggle button switching between 3 states (do nothing, lower crew, lower captain) that's set to to do nothing by default?
Another idea regarding this matter: The UI could provide a visual (or perhaps audio?) indicator to show the crew the captain is talking in the captain channel and a and indication for the captains showing other captains are talking to their crews.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 03:31:38 pm »
Someone suggested a CB radio filter for pilot chat a while back, with a crackle/pop at the start and finish. I would support this as a toggle option as well as L/R pilot/crew differentiation.

Some examples.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 02:42:49 pm »
Afaik GOIO uses Steam Voice Chat, so that sort of stuff isn't up to them to change.

Could be wrong though.

Offline Wolfprints

• Salutes: 5
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 05:33:10 pm »
By all means, please add an indicator of which chat someone is using if at all possible (lobby or team while in lobby, party or crew while in match).

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 01:41:10 am »
By all means, please add an indicator of which chat someone is using if at all possible (lobby or team while in lobby, party or crew while in match).

That is seriously all I'd need.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 12:40:24 pm »

colour codes!

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 02:11:19 pm »

colour codes!

Damnit, Ceres, you've made me lie.

Offline Lieutenant Noir

• Salutes: 17
    • [❤™]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 11:06:00 pm »
It would be kinda cool to have voice chat from ally ships to sound like a crackling radio/ walky talky,
While crew chat would be normal so it would be added realism.

I guess party chat would have an echo to sound like it's coming from out of nowhere

(This is a joke btw, I am not being serious. I hope you guys stop taking me seriously all the time, I'm not actually crazy)

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 01:26:14 pm »

Silverst also suggested such during a fireside and I agree!

Also an indicator of when the pilot is using captain chat and the ally captain too, to avoid crew talking over capt chat.