Author Topic: Mine Launcher  (Read 47621 times)

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Mine Launcher
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 12:38:27 pm »
Heavy or small weapon

I take your quote, and raise you another

I was told at first it was heavy, but then scaled back to a light weapon for better use. I mean, who's going to put a mine launcher on the front of a goldfish as the main gun?

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 12:58:05 pm »
I wonder if they are damaged or merely concealed by tar barrel clouds?

Got a carronade-fish on the stern of your Pyra? - pop tar barrel for a couple of seconds, switch to phoenix claw, stop engines and rotate 90-degrees left, let fly with the mine launcher on the aft side mount, phoenix claw, complete the 180, off-tools and reverse with your forward guns trained on whatever is left to emerge from the tar smoke and minefield..  I could like this weapon.

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 01:02:56 pm »
If the mines last forever, and there is no limit to them, I could see some abuse happening. If the mines don't last very long, its effectiveness would be severely cleaved. Until I know more about these things, I don't think I could make good strategic ideas- if it litters a ton of quick, small-damaging bombs, its use would be extremely different if it was instead a slow-firing, small clip gun.

My guess is that they'll be active for about 20 seconds - based on the reload speed.  That way there's never more than one clip (30 mines) in the air per mine launcher fielded in the game.  If they lasted longer than the reload the sky is going to get very busy, very quickly with far too many assets for the game to handle.

Although the art assets can probably fiddled by having then appear identical from all horizontal angles (so there's only ever a flat plane image to be projected) and a singularity point with proximity detection rather than a complex collision mesh.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 08:29:01 pm »
Very exciting weapon. My only concern is it may further help snipers snipe. If any of the recent cogs matches have been an indication, sniping is boring, highly prevalent and extraordinarily hard to counter. It's low risk and high reward.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 08:35:47 pm »
So wait, if it's a light weapon, then you could put it on the back end of a Galleon, and... Ouch...

Offline Connor Mc.

• Salutes: 18
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 11:14:22 pm »
So wait, if it's a light weapon, then you could put it on the back end of a Galleon, and... Ouch...

that would suuuuuuccckkkkkk

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 03:48:13 am »
Everything I've heard over the last month indicates these will be a light weapon. If everything works out, these things could be in game before April ends.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 06:33:30 am »
heavy clip mines, they never miss their target. NEVER!

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 08:50:28 am »
hmmm but the added weight, might cause the Mine to drop faster than normal... thus causing the mine to be less effective over time.... who knows

Offline VikingOfSixth

• Salutes: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2013, 04:34:38 pm »
More things besides tar to shoot our of the arse of my moonshine Squid?

Beautiful.

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 10:49:28 pm »
Please tell me there are short-lived timers on these things to keep them from being a strategic weapon.  Also, I hope there's arming timers on them.  I know if a Galleon had a mine launcher on its stern, I'd put my nose right in there to make it so either the mines wouldn't arm and would just harmlessly bounce off, or the explosions would hit us both.

Offline Connor Mc.

• Salutes: 18
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 10:58:36 pm »
What if you could trigger the explosion?

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 11:03:03 pm »
That would keep them from blowing up on friendly ships.  WAY too overpowered.  Speaking of which, how is friendly fire going to be handled with these?

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 11:05:15 pm »
That would keep them from blowing up on friendly ships.  WAY too overpowered.  Speaking of which, how is friendly fire going to be handled with these?

One notable thing is that they deal 300 impact damage, assuming that number is still accurate. Impact damage affects friendly ships, though I think it's reduced.

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 05:03:02 am »

Awkm has suggested that mines can be detonated by shooting them, and that shooting the balloon they hang from will cause them to descend onto whatever is below them.

Whether sympathetic detonation can be rippled through a dense minefield giver the AoE hasn't been hinted at one way or another.

I would hope that mines are "neutral" and will deal full damage to any ship, regardless of friendly status.