Author Topic: Altitude based, vertical map  (Read 20712 times)

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Altitude based, vertical map
« on: December 25, 2014, 08:59:21 pm »
I've been thinking about what sort of addition that isn't too crazy, yet is really different, could add a new dynamic to the game. It crossed my mind that a small map, maybe 1 or 1 1/2 thousand square km, but an enormous hight ceiling, at least triple of whatever the highest one is now would be really cool.
 I can't really think of any real setting. Maybe some kind of vine walled valley, or serene cliffside by the sea. This would add a whole new element to how ships are flown, and I think it could be really cool if done right. Thoughts?

Offline Caprontos

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: Altitude based, vertical map
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 09:19:16 pm »
isn't 1000m like a super small map?.. Idk though sounds awkward considering gun arks are generally level.. and the further down/up you have to aim the further they have to be away.. So if the map is more or less just raising/lowering to match enemy height it'd be kinda silly, more so with out any cover at varying heights.. So you could spot people instantly..

It would need more then just extreme hieght to make it interesting to me..

As for a new type of map that's different, but not massively different, I always liked the cave idea.. Having a roof and a floor to deal with + various snakey corridors to fly through and it being pretty dark.. Would mix stuff up a bit I think.. Its not super different because it could be canyon ambush with a roof.. or partian(sp?) .. So the type of map is available, it just needs a roof and such.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 09:23:53 pm »
isn't 1000m like a super small map?.. Idk though sounds awkward considering gun arks are generally level.. and the further down/up you have to aim the further they have to be away.. So if the map is more or less just raising/lowering to match enemy height it'd be kinda silly, more so with out any cover at varying heights.. So you could spot people instantly..
I mean, Paratin is 2k squared, and Dawn is a little smaller than that. It would be the smallest of all the maps, map size wise. And you're right, it would need some more to it. Maybe some debree in jutting out from the walls,  or some where. It's got some flaws, yeah, but it I think it has potential.

And I love the cave idea. I've heard it before, and always love the idea

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 09:30:11 pm »
just add numbers to the ship icon.

to the approximate km height from the sea level (which I assume is the bottom of the actual map). So the ground isn't technically 0km.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 11:09:28 pm »
I want say 75% horizontal size that of paritian rumble where the middle is a giant spire of a canyon risen. But it has holes that you can pass through. This spire covers most of the map in the middle.

So not only do you get your cave map wish, you also get your vertical map wish!

Offline Zirilfer

• Salutes: 12
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 11:46:41 pm »
I want say 75% horizontal size that of paritian rumble where the middle is a giant spire of a canyon risen. But it has holes that you can pass through. This spire covers most of the map in the middle.

So not only do you get your cave map wish, you also get your vertical map wish!

Pretty much this. Mines would have much more stopping power, and larger ships like the spire might have huge disadvantages

Offline Bronzium

• Salutes: 11
    • [HMCS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 11:13:28 am »
Love the ideas. The cave thing would be awesome, as would the vertical height scenario. Though perhaps make it a bit larger. Perhaps make it so that the map size is a giant cylinder in essence, with objects jutting out on all sides at various heights, and perhaps make it large enough so that two ships can float at the same height level and open fire at each other (with wiggle room inbetween of course).

I guess the more I think of it, 1k km squared would do it. Correct me if I'm wrong, perhaps the middle section of Paritan (I mean the size of the big courtyard there), would be a good fit for a ship battle. I had enivisioned somehing a bit more compact though, as in only 2 ships (facing each other at the same height) and perhaps 100m of wiggle room total between the two ships would fill the diameter of the cylindrical map.

As far as scenario, how about a massive mining pit?

Offline Wolfprints

• Salutes: 5
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 02:40:48 pm »
Oooooh, I like this idea very much. This could be a much more maze-like map, kind of like what Paritan would be if you couldn't get above it.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 11:05:49 pm »
If there was a maze map, all anyone would take'd be Meta Mobula.  Imagine it- you're rounding the corner, when suddenly you are beset upon by three gats, and then two mortars!  Instant death!

Offline Caprontos

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 11:41:55 pm »
If there was a maze map, all anyone would take'd be Meta Mobula.  Imagine it- you're rounding the corner, when suddenly you are beset upon by three gats, and then two mortars!  Instant death!

Well a lot of ships would work nice for ambushes.. we just don't have many maps and situations where you can really do it regularly, though drums might kill the surprise a little..

Idk.. If we need an actual maze though.. People go in circles often enough as it is in a more open map :P.. Though with the new minotaur gun maybe a maze is just what it needs..

Offline Fiesty

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 01:02:15 pm »
Vertical maps do need floating obstacles or cave like atmosphere. What would also make it fun are drafts local to an area that lift or drop you balloon at extra speed. Maybe add a geyser as the feature to give these forces.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 10:27:46 pm »
Problems with the initial spawn if the map is tall and thin.

Ships spawn at the same altitude on top of each-other immediate combat - or different altitudes - one team has height advantage

I'd still love a vertical map though. Giant cave yes please.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 05:36:47 am »
I really want a cave map too. I'm pretty sure I remember muse saying that they wouldn't make it though. I don't however remember why. :s

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 08:05:35 am »
Giant cave for a vertical map?

2 issues

1. lighting.Caves don't tend to provide much of it (a night fighting map might be interesting actually-would need to create a system for it though)

2. they don't tend to accomodate giant airships.

I'd much rather a giant tower of babylon. Like a super giant juggernaut ruin.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 08:53:02 am »
Just want to add. ide love for a map that takes place high in the skies with no obstacles other than your own ships but the map has tons of clouds. While the bottom is thunder clouds to signify the bottom of the map, and an explenation to carroing ships into the bottom. Heck maybe it can take place inside a giant tornado just to be crazy (If im not wrong the middle/inside of the tornado doesnt have torque or wind, does it?)

While the map size is as big as fjords with also the high ceiling. Because ive yett to have a map that made me feel like im high up, other than fjords. FOV slider up to 90 kinda takes away the high feeling, along with the ground textures not being small or detailed enough to show that it is far (just look at dunes sand, they are quite large when you get up close).

In the end, i do hope we get more vertical maps. The only one atm is Fjords, and fjords is justified with its clouds.