Author Topic: Invisible ships... wat?  (Read 3619 times)

Offline Trystan Hart

• Salutes: 5
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
Invisible ships... wat?
« on: December 24, 2014, 03:59:52 am »
So I don't think this is a new thing exactly, but I couldn't find a topic on it. Sometimes (usually in desert scrap) a ship entering cloud will vanish entirely, even if you are literally within spitting ditance, or ever clipping slightly during a ram. That's ridiculous. If you can see it through the particle effects (which are pretty realistic), you can see it. More recently I've seen ships popping in and out of existence when they were nowhere near any clouds, in a clear sky over Fernfeld. One second they're in weapons range, the next, they're invisible, even if you can still hit them.

I don't know if this is a rendering bug, or if it's a deliberate balance thing to overcome the smoke/chemspray thing making ships too visible through clouds. If that's the case, wouldn't it be better to just make those particle FX vanish when the ship enters cloud? Then the silhouette of the ship would still be visible to a keen eye, but the giveaway chemspray FX would not be glowing through the mist. It's pretty minor, but it is certainly annoying.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Re: Invisible ships... wat?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 04:12:24 am »
It's been an issue in Scrap for ages, but a few updates back, it got worse on a lot of maps (I'm lookin at you, Firnfeld)

If I understand correctly, this is an issue with the Unity engine, and there's really nothing the devs can do about it (save remaking the game from the ground up on a new engine).

edit: If it did get worse (which I'm sure tons of players can corroborate) than that implies it can be affected in some way, so that's interesting

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 06:31:33 am »
Well, Unity is far from being very good engine, what's more - far from being well written engine. It is good to start with your first game, but only if one does not stop at this point and explore more - there are multiple reasons behind my words, and I don't feel well enough to enumerate them.

As for disappearing ships... Aye, it happened few times to me in Firnfield, including an absolutely ludicrous situation, when ship disappeared right before we rammed it (it survived) - that was quite trippy...

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 06:35:31 am »
Yeah it happens. Just think of it as adding to the insanity that is desert scrap.