Author Topic: Ropes and slides and fire poles oh my!  (Read 7978 times)

Offline Lavicus Jones

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Ropes and slides and fire poles oh my!
« on: January 05, 2015, 09:52:09 pm »
I recently started playing Guns of Icarus and it's really cool so far.  One thing that I think would make it more interesting and make you feel a little more badass playing it would to have ropes in certain areas of a ship to swing on that you can control direction of to move around quickly.  There could also be firepoles to slide down from the top to bottom and perhaps even some parts of a ship that could be slid down feet first to get over obstacles and travel the ship with a little more flare and style.  I would feel more badass dodging enemy fire by jumping over something and sliding down a pole and moving at high speed from place to place. 

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Re: Ropes and slides and fire poles oh my!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 10:18:05 pm »
The thing is, if engis got ACTUAL parkour, even more efficient repair circuits could be developed, and that would effect balance.  Also, let's say we got a fire pole to the Gally's gundeck.  How would we go back up?  Or, failing that, if we got the staircase as a slide, how would we get up that?  We wouldn't.  We'd waste PRECIOUS time to get to the ladder/stairs.

Don't get me wrong, It could be an awesome Adrenaline ability for the engi, but as cool as it would be... No.

Offline Caprontos

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 11:11:29 pm »
They are working on a stamina system that will come eventually someday.. where engineers stamina ability will be running faster/jumping higher.

If interested Pilots will be able to make ships move faster and gunners will be able to turn guns out of normal ark or reload quicker. - But that's all we have really been told about it... They mentioned it in a few fireside chats. (2 of them I think)..

But as for actual things on the ship, might be interesting but would depend how it was implemented..

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 11:35:50 pm »
They are working on a stamina system that will come eventually someday.. where engineers stamina ability will be running faster/jumping higher.

If interested Pilots will be able to make ships move faster and gunners will be able to turn guns out of normal ark or reload quicker. - But that's all we have really been told about it... They mentioned it in a few fireside chats. (2 of them I think)..

But as for actual things on the ship, might be interesting but would depend how it was implemented..

As opposed to jumping higher I would much rather a parkour button that uses stamina. Kinda like the ninja run in revengence or in assassins creed or arkham.

That way you just auto hop rails thats given us so much freakin trouble.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 12:56:24 am »
Ninja run is the perfect example.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 10:51:06 am »
I've seen people climb on the goldfish roof. It's a pretty advantageous place for spotting and reaction to ambushes.

I'd like a non-glitch/weird jump to get there. Maybe by climbing ropes.

Offline Lavicus Jones

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 12:56:51 pm »
I've seen people climb on the goldfish roof. It's a pretty advantageous place for spotting and reaction to ambushes.

I'd like a non-glitch/weird jump to get there. Maybe by climbing ropes.

Yes!  Things like this would make it feel more like a sailing ship, which is what the ships in the game mimic anyway.  It would be very cool to climb ropes up the side of the blimp for spotting, just like climbing to the top of a real ship for spotting pirates or land.  And with some gloves on one could slide back down the rope quickly.  Being able to see more of the ship from the crew's perspective while on it would be very cool. 

And ladders and fire poles can co-exist right next to each other, the same way that a vent or something that could be slid down can co-exist next to some stairs :)

And parkour vaulting over a railing would just be awesome! 

When I climb the ladder on the Pyramidion and I'm in a hurry to get back down, I don't climb down the ladder!  I jump down instead because everyone's lives are at stake and the situation requires drastic action. 

All these ideas would make the game more immersive and help to make the player feel more like he was actually there. 

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 01:42:32 pm »
 Hmm... maybe slide down the banister?  ;D

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 01:57:17 pm »
Engi parkour is my sport.

To be an engineer means to get from A to B as fast as possible in order to fix as efficient as possible. That in my eyes is the mission statement of engineering.

I know certainly already I fly around the ship like a sugar hyped kid that's been set on fire.

The ships I think are already suited to this pretty well. Best examples being the engines on a squid, the top to bottom decks on a galleon, pyra and spire.
I am also an avid fan of tight tope walking on the galleon, mobula, goldfish and junker.

I'll also express that I'm vehemently opposed to adrenaline abilities. The engineer is fine as it is and doesn't need changing. But I can appreciate that Muse want to make the engi more interesting, it can be repetitive at times.

I don't think the ships have room for anymore fireman poles and things, it sounds fun though.

:D

Offline Lieutenant Noir

• Salutes: 17
    • [❤™]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 02:31:20 am »
This would be hard to balance, would need an impressive physics engine, and would render the tips and tricks of component sweet spots useless.

What would really make the engi job interesting would be the addition of grappling hooks to move from point A to point B around the ship.

You'd feel like an acrobat on all those action, pirate movies you used to watch
Not to mention, with the added mobility, you could finally do a full ship chem spray rotation