Author Topic: Mid-match ship/loadout swapping..  (Read 6826 times)

Offline Caprontos

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Mid-match ship/loadout swapping..
« on: December 22, 2014, 12:59:56 pm »
How would you feel about mid-match ship/loadout swapping before respawning? But only in its own match type.. Like you die - and before you respawn you can change your ship and any crew load outs.. Then spawn in..

Do you think that could be a thing? Probably to much work involved in making it happen.. but it could make for interesting matches, I think..

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Re: Mid-match ship/loadout swapping..
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 01:18:08 pm »
Ooo. Oh no. I mean, it would add some cool variety, but, blimey that'd be hard to keep up with.

Here's something that happens to me a lot. I'm flying a Spire in the Canyons, and we're waiting in out spawn, and suddenly we get rushed, and I go down first. I spawn in again, while they're still in our spawn, and get slaughtered before we can even turn to face them. If I could just switch, midgame, to a Metamidion for some close up killing potential, or a Galleon for something with a little more tank power, that'd be easy for me, but not really fair for the enemy.

Personal loadout/class changing  between respawns sounds like a fantastic idea, though. You already can change that stuff midgame, but you have to leave the match first, which is a pain. If you were able to do it more easily, that'd be amazing

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 02:39:08 pm »
I don't need this because I know how to set up a ship. However when I was learning the game this would have been a great feature. The training mode and tutorials still don't do enough to prepare a player for what a real match of GOI is like. New players need a way to experiment with ship builds that do not result in them being completely useless for an entire game. It is easy to tell them to just copy the meta, but a lot of the joy I have found in this game is discovering new builds through trial and error.

I would like this to replace the novice match system of forcing players into premade ships. New players need to be able to experiment with all the game mechanics including how guns work with each other.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 06:57:55 pm »
Hamster I do not condone the encouraged addiction to ship crack.

Once you get a noob in the habit of meta, they will never learn to play besides meta. Making them just as predictable as any powder monkey or swabbie.

Interesting idea though. Though I agree on the tool build part only. If you screw up your ship. You screw up your ship. reloading all those gun assets and builds every respawn sounds like a nightmare for ppl like me with slow load in times
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 07:00:08 pm by Ceresbane »

Offline Caprontos

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 07:33:28 pm »
I'd like to re-point out this idea doesn't change the current three game modes at all, it just is a new game-mode with this function.. As I feel that was missed by the two(now three) replies.... Based on their context. My mistake for not including it in the title and maybe stating it more clearly. I still did state it in the first line of the first post..

"Not fair to the enemy" - that's a point of the match type idea. To make a game where the strategy you decided in the lobby may not be what you do all match.. and you may have to think more in game to win.

Also a point of the match is to make it so the match is not one constant fight and would be more suited to teams who know how to set up a ship, not people who don't know.. . If you don't know how to set up a ship very quickly + know good counter sets you would fail at this..

While it makes sense and works as is  and there nothing wrong with it- The current system for matches makes 90% of the matches to play out as expected.. and that makes them a little boring sometimes. This match type would playout randomly because you don't know what the enemy will actually do until they do it... An would add a different type of strategy that isn't currently in the game..

I realize there are a lot of issues with this idea with the match maker .. I mean look at cp those are straight-forward and 90% of new captains have no idea how to play those (at lest in my experience).... but as a custom game lobby - where players do all know how to play  (because you set it up that way).. It might be fine for something to mix things up from the standard game..

reloading all those gun assets and builds every respawn sounds like a nightmare for ppl like me with slow load in times

This is a technical issues that may make it impossible to do. I have no idea how that stuff actually works.

My original idea had you decide all 5 ships and all 5 loadouts for every person in the lobby... and then when you died you'd just respawn with the next ship in your loadout.. But that sounded less fun and more random then being able to actively adapt mid-match.. which adds more strategy to the gametype. Though this would let you load everything before the match.. and just be used as the match needs them.. I assume.. Maybe that isn't how it works.. but like said less fun.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 09:23:37 pm »
better idea.

You create a queue of ships you spawn as. You create preset builds where upon death you respawn as the next ship in line. Much more streamline and technically feasible.

Loading the actual game to prep all those presets will result in a fairly long initial game load. But its better than major slow down mid game.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 03:23:49 pm »
I had an idea like this a while ago.  It devolved into a Pokemon thread pretty quickly :P

Offline Caprontos

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 09:17:52 pm »
.. I see.. I never thought of pokemon ships.. I wonder how to evolve one in to a skywhale..

I actually... once thought it'd be neat to have a "Random match" where every single thing is randomly chosen (with in reason - So it would given sensible builds and such not 100% pure random))... So like ship - guns - class - load outs - teams would all be picked randomly.. So lobby - match start - match puts people on teams and sets everything up then starts the match.. An you don't know what you'll be given.. until it starts.

I am sure you guys can see the flaw with it...  It sounded like it could be fun (I still think it could be.. if not also rage-inducing)... This idea came from that idea.. As another way to mix stuff up..

I am happy the Dev's like the VIP game mode - I hope that will eventually lead to more match types that are less straightforward.. eventually.. Maybe Co-Op will suffice when that gets here..

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 09:36:53 pm »
I had an idea like this a while ago.  It devolved into a Pokemon thread pretty quickly :P

I got a great idea! Pokemon.
need I say moar?

As for new more complex more game modes. But let's not forget. Most people love the mindless monotony of death match to the point that when given a choice between really cool crazy king maps (all of them seeing as they are kinda samey) vs another fking death match. DM always wins.

And if dunes appears. It will always be freakin dunes. Consistently dunes. That says alot about ppl's demand for more challenging gameplay. Dunes is the most overplayed map when given the choice of more interesting maps and dunes.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 09:41:13 pm by Ceresbane »

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 10:42:05 pm »
Dont forget dunes!

Tbh, ide say this bodes well with Coop... maybe. We dont exactly know how that will turn out but it sounds like something for coop or more specificaly Adventure mode.