Author Topic: Steam Sales  (Read 63488 times)

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
Steam Sales
« on: December 19, 2014, 09:18:42 pm »
Today, December 19th of 2014, GOIO is on sale on steam, 85% off, costing 2 dollars 24 cents.

I think the general sentiment of the forum is against steam sales, but what are your thoughts on it?

Is it good because it increases player base, and GOIO is a multiplayer game?

Or is it bad because it introduces clueless players who are not used to teamwork and communication that is rather unique to GOIO?

Or do you have other concurring or dissenting opinions? What are everyone's thought on Steam Sales' effect of GOIO?

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 10:12:52 pm »
good,

I need to farm newbie commendations for the teaching achieves =P

Offline Bronzium

• Salutes: 11
    • [HMCS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 10:13:03 pm »
Frankly, I've a group of people on a forum I'm a highly regarded member of. I've been trying to get them to explore games outside the one our forum is focued upon, and in that time I've been waiting for GoIO to go to the point where my friends could buy it. A friend of mine got the game and is a Level 3 Gunner already, and another friend of mine got the game the other before it reached the $2 price point. I actually hope some more of my friends there grab the game (been training them the ins and outs, and I believe my other friend will make a fine pilot. :D)

Anyways, I'm optimistic with the Steam Sales, it gives me a chance to move some people I know to this game and introduce them to a game that has a higher emphasis on teamwork than I have ever seen before. Although I don't know of many people who would fit the rushed work of Engineer, I do know a few who could make good gunners or pilots. :)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 10:27:13 pm »
Good. It keeps Muse in business.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 11:06:59 pm »
Good: Most Money, MO UPDATES!  Ya dig, dawg?

Seriously though, yes.  More players,makes Muse money, and so what if they're new?  Teach 'em!

Offline DaOrks

• Salutes: 12
    • [◥ɸ◤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 11:36:47 pm »
Probably good overall, 300-500 people on isn't a very healthy number.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 02:14:57 am »
Can it be frustrating? Yes. I remember the days when I loaded Incendiary in to every gun because FIRE, and was entirely rubbish at keeping a ship alive, or hitting my targets, and I'm sure I caused some good players some major headaches. The same thing happens every time some one buys the game. Some people like to just stop in from time to time and play a few rounds, and some people really like this game a lot and get really good, and some people aren't interested in learning and just want to screw around. All these things are good. It keeps blood flowing through the veins of the community. That powder monkey you played with today might some day be the leader of the top competitive clan in the game. You never know who's gonna stick it out, which is why I always try and be constructive to new players, especially during the sales. If you just boot up a game with a skill cap as high as GoI, and you see someone who's basically reached that yelling at/ignoring you, it makes you not want to play the game any more. And that's bad.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 04:53:38 am »
Probably good overall, 300-500 people on isn't a very healthy number.

Ha ha ha ha ha...sigh...youngins don't know how bad we had it with 5-15 on in Jan after the game launched.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 11:13:29 am »
Can it be frustrating? Yes. I remember the days when I loaded Incendiary in to every gun because FIRE

Tfw implying fire is a bad strategy.

Offline Zydrate

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 08:38:55 pm »
Paid 3 dollars for the game, then another 5 for cosmetics.
You're welcome?

I think myself as a decent team player. Won my first four matches because we had a guy with a mic who knew what he was doing. He called the shots, and I followed. It was a lot of fun.

Then I lost the next few I played because it didn't have that level of direction.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 10:20:36 pm »
You're welcome?

I think myself as a decent team player. Won my first four matches because we had a guy with a mic who knew what he was doing. He called the shots, and I followed. It was a lot of fun.

Then I lost the next few I played because it didn't have that level of direction.

Until you develop unconcious tics and instincts from having the principles beat into your head by vets, you will need that direction.  Were you in a novice match?  If no, GTFO and get back into said Novice matches before you quit the game from frustration, trust me.

If you have questions, ask the Community Ambassadors, post on the Q n' A board, and talk to people.  If you want some pointers, I'd be glad to either A) pass what little knowledge I have on, or B) point you towards someone with a vast repository of general knowledge and knowhow.  Feel free to friend me in game!

See you in the Skies, and good luck! o7

Offline Bronzium

• Salutes: 11
    • [HMCS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 10:57:03 pm »
You're welcome?

I know that pain. I too have had good matches where a guy with a mic knows what he's doing, and is communicating well with his ally. On the other hand, I have had some bad ones because my crew was all jerks, or just because the other team was really experienced in the game.

I see you've taken a notice to Engineer by the looks of your level stats. If you want some pointers from a fellow engi, I'd be willing to teach what I know (still learning from fellow Gents above me actually), and get ya familiarized with ship layouts and the like. :)

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 11:05:12 pm »
Getting chem cycles taught before the regular matches will have Captain's loving you like their firstborn child.

Offline Zydrate

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 07:16:26 am »
You're welcome?

I see you've taken a notice to Engineer by the looks of your level stats. If you want some pointers from a fellow engi, I'd be willing to teach what I know (still learning from fellow Gents above me actually), and get ya familiarized with ship layouts and the like. :)

I like the Engi, because I can still help with gunning sometimes if the match is going well and we're not taking hits. I'm not bad on a gun, so I might do some side-leveling as a Gunner at some point.
I'll give you a friend request later on.

Offline nanoduckling

• Salutes: 116
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 08:55:34 am »
I don't think forumites are against steam sales, I think they dislike the random grab bag of players that comes with them.

I don't like doing laundry, but I know it is necessary if I want clean clothes to wear. In the same way game population management is necessary, and one aspect of that is changing the price of the game to keep new players coming in. This generates a fair chunk of work for those of us who play pub games with random crews since we get a healthy influx of clueless players, stupid players, inexperienced players, and grade A asshats. I think it is important to distinguish between these folks. We were all clueless and inexperienced once, and up to a point there is nothing people can do about being a bit thick. We don't have to tolerate the asshats though.

How we can enjoy the game changes during sales and some people really dislike that change. In the same way that a full hamper tells me it is time to crank up the washing machine, a sub 200 online population tells Muse it is time to put out a steam sale.