Author Topic: Press b to mark priority targets  (Read 19467 times)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
Press b to mark priority targets
« on: December 13, 2014, 05:49:22 am »
So I recently got the dev app and replayed all the tutorials (by the way the ticks on the basic tutorial dun work on, repair and armour)

I noticed on the pilot tutorial there was mention of press b to mark a priority target. It did nothing on the tutorial but what happens on an actual game?

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Re: Press b to mark priority targets
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 06:05:27 am »
You have to make sure you are looking directly at the target ship - as the captain.  To guarantee this, switch to 1st person mode where you get a dot in the middle of the screen to help.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 07:58:42 am »
I just tested it.

its like rangefinder (making the current rangefinder even more useless),

It creates rangefinder style cross hairs. Do you need to hold b or do you just press tho? I only managed to make it work once. Seeing as its just as glitchy as spotting.

I want to designate it to the a controller button. How do I do that? I dun seem to see it.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 09:54:04 am »
b aka captains target is a way for the Captain to claim a target for his crew. They get the crosshair to easily see the ship their captains wants to shoot at.
Its something totally different from rangefinder.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 10:11:00 am »
Yes, it is more similar to the spyglass than the range finder as it "spots" and marks an enemy ship for a short duration. This Captain Mark marks the ship with lines arranged in a "+"-like way instead of boxing the ship in like the spyglass does, making it easy to differentiate the captains mark and the spot. The captain target/mark thing does not show you the ship on the map though, it is quite literally to tell your crew (I think it works for AI (not the clan) too, but I am not entirely sure if it is implemented and if yes, if it was done so correctly) which target to prioritize.

You only have to press it once, but since it disappears after a few seconds you will have to press it again, unless you trust that your crew remembers the target you want them to shoot at. Maybe if you hold the button the game will interpret it as "pressing the button continuesly the entire time" and will keep captain targeting it, but since you have to keep aiming at it and make it harder to fly your ship with less fingers it would be quite silly to do so.

It helps spotting targets too, since you can tell your crew quite literally "They are to the left" and then they see your captain target thing on them immediately so they don't have to look for the enemy and can just spot it immediately with their spyglass.

Since you need "direct visual contact" in order for it to work, it has the exact same weaknesses as the spyglass and rangefinder. Which means, when either of those tools don't work because of could logic than your captain target/mark thing won't do anything either.

Range finder was never intented to be useful. As far as I understand it was only made so gunners can teach themselves when to use lesmok rounds on a lumberjack or how high to aim with the hades when the enemy is this far away. It is purposfully made to be a completely useless tool as it only serves for gunners to practise aiming, a person that can already do that will not need a range finder. The circle the range finder creates was supposed to assist with aiming, but apparantly nobody really knows how that circle works.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 10:13:57 am by Dementio »

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 11:16:28 am »
The rangefinder was intended as a alternative to the spyglass to actually give crew a choice in pilot tools. It just isnt needed. It was a nice thing but it doesnt give any benefit in a match.
Experienced players dont need it and new players dont know how to utilize range info.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 11:19:37 am »
The rangefinder was intended as a alternative to the spyglass to actually give crew a choice in pilot tools. It just isnt needed. It was a nice thing but it doesnt give any benefit in a match.
Experienced players dont need it and new players dont know how to utilize range info.
I think the biggest problem with the range finder is that stupid circle that doesn't help with aiming.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 11:25:51 am »
I think the biggest problem with the range finder is that stupid circle that doesn't help with aiming.

If they got rid of it and just gave us the distance in meters, it would be useful.

If they recoded it to give us only the two dimensional distance rather than including altitude, it would be useful.

If they made the distance remain on the screen until the enemy loses the spot, it would be useful.

If the rangefinder could temporarily spot ships for a short duration (like press b to captain spot), it would be useful.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 08:03:26 pm »
is it just me or this function gained an increase in use recently. Before posting this I havent been seeing it and then suddenly nearly every vet I know does it.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 08:38:27 pm »
is it just me or this function gained an increase in use recently. Before posting this I havent been seeing it and then suddenly nearly every vet I know does it.

People have been using it since it's been implemented. It's very useful

\o\

/o/

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 11:16:36 pm »
Is this still Dev App only?  Sounds nice as hell to have.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 11:57:18 pm »
Sounds like the Frequency illusion.  Have you ever bought a red car and then all of a sudden you start to notice red cars everywhere?  Also, it has a subtle UI so you may not have noticed it as different from normal spotting before.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 02:07:31 am »
Is this still Dev App only?  Sounds nice as hell to have.
It's been in the game for a long time. The player in the captain ship can look at any spottable ship and press B to put a little target thing over it. I've rebound mine to G

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 02:23:04 am »
Sounds like the Frequency illusion.  Have you ever bought a red car and then all of a sudden you start to notice red cars everywhere?  Also, it has a subtle UI so you may not have noticed it as different from normal spotting before.

Oh come on. I'm not that new. 900+ hours. I think I know when I notice a new thing.

I think...

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 01:50:24 pm »
Literally the first time I heard about this feature was when I had to fix a bug with it not disappearing on dead ships.