Author Topic: Engineer Tool Idea, the Destroyer  (Read 7939 times)

Offline michael.hauda

• Salutes: 5
    • [MisF]
    • View Profile
Engineer Tool Idea, the Destroyer
« on: December 13, 2014, 04:04:44 am »
Hey you all I had some idea while playing this last week that I'd like to share;
Firstly, you know how when a component has 12+ fire stacks and no one has an extinguisher its pretty much a goner? why not have a tool that lets you break it the rest of the way so you can just rebuild it? I get that feeling aaaaaallll the time seriously, ok part two for this new tool, what if the next time you repaired (not rebuilt) something you got a bonus? something small, you could call the tool a salvager and design it like a blowtorch or crowbar or something, cool right? well I started to thing about how it could be abused and I hit a wall there, I mean the only way to purposefully do that is have the captain use tools to break stuff and the engi use the salvager to finished the job but it takes time to burn down stuff like that so I don't see a lot of room for abuse honestly.
now I know it's a niche thing but so are half of the gunners tools, engis should get some cool situational stuff too, I can see a pyra with 1 buff engi (chem, wrench, buffkit) 1 buff engi (chem, salvager, wrench) up top and the normal engi down on the bottom, one buff engi #1 can easily prebuff both guns before combat and the salvager can tear down doomed balloons and use the bonus to repair to get it back up to a healthier state, cannibalizing his gun before jumping down to help the main engi would be a viable tactic as well
5 seconds to activate (must be continuos, no prebreakage) gives 50% boost to next repair, Spanner would give 60 rather than 40, Wrench (the tool likely to be paired with this) would give 180 rather than 120, Mallet would give a whopping 375 rather than 250, a fair increase but not game breaking
King of Repairs build, Salvager, Mallet, Spanner
King of Vesatility build, Spanner, Mallet, Chemspray
King of Flames build, Salvager, Wrench, Chemspray/Extinguisher
King of Guns build, Buffkit, Wrench, Chemspray/Extinguisher

also some odd things could be done with this, need to turn fast? destroy the correct engine and you will fly the opposite direction, engi can use the repair buff to fix it once the uber turning isn't needed anymore, same works for going downward although that's much more situational

The only flaw I see in this is the trolling potential, but that wouldn't be a problem if when people got reported they got kicked out :P like, more than 1/10 times

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
Re: Engineer Tool Idea, the Destroyer
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 05:52:06 am »
Too easily abused by trolls unless it's only useable at X-amount of fire stacks...
Also something not needed if the guys with thir chem spray do chem cycles, not always possible but it's what chemspray is there for :)

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 06:33:01 am »
I think it would be fun. Exploitable, but fun. A troll gunner can already shoot loch flamer, troll captain can sit all day on moonshine. Initial proposal:

Welder:

Applies 4 stacks of fire, 1 stack if component is chemmed.
Damages component for 75hp
Immediately buffs component for 7 second duration. The buff is 'stronger' than regular buff, higher stat increase.
3 second repair cooldown.

When you don't have time to buff that component and want more performance NOW, this is the tool to use. It makes the component slightly more vulnerable, but gains a short term edge. If used improperly the fire and damage can exacerbate an existing damage source.

Implications: imagine this will mostly be used on guns, balloon, which benefit most from short term buffs. Both are vulnerable to plain damage (guns) and fire (balloon), requiring follow up care. Still, this tool would give you a way of squeezing some extra juice out of a damaged component, even if you have to pay afterwards.

Levi kindly suggested another welder, repair/heavy duty welder:

~Lots of repair, 3 mallet hits worth.
Removes Chemspray on application, making component very vulnerable to fire.
18 second cooldown.

Designed for use on heavy duty stuff, hulls, balloons. If you're getting blended or or gatling-ed, this tool can suddenly turn the tide. However, like goldilocks, fickle components want to be heated up JUUST right, and even a few fire stacks can spell doom. This change would make incendiary ammo a viable choice to counter the heavy welder, whereas right now incendiary is kind of underused.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 06:55:58 am »
Yeah too easy to troll with. That is the key when thinking about new tools or weapons...how easy can it be to troll? If the answer is extremely easy, then there you go, it'll never happen.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 07:44:20 am »
Although I'd like to point out other than the easy to troll factor I can see merits of sch a tool! :)

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 07:54:39 am »
Yeah too easy to troll with. That is the key when thinking about new tools or weapons...how easy can it be to troll? If the answer is extremely easy, then there you go, it'll never happen.

Inb4 A troll gunner can already shoot loch flamer, troll captain can sit all day on moonshine.

I feel quite strongly that the game should not be designed and/or balanced around malicious trolls. You know how trolling works..
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 07:58:45 am by Omniraptor »

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 08:48:59 am »
Or you could actualy start bringing extinguisher?

Destroying the gun because its on fire? It cant be the only reason.

But yes, it is very exploitable. Too easy to use. And wold be downfall to ships with angry engineers.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 09:57:16 am »
Let's make the fire extinguisher's right click function chem the component and destroy it right afterwards.

It's going to extinguish no matter what. And the problem with extinguisher is that you can't do anything to prevent fires from happening again so it is really silly to use it against constant fire guns. I say this might actually help it a bit.

Destruction!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 09:59:16 am by Dementio »

Offline DrTentacles

• Salutes: 30
    • [GSR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 01:20:03 pm »
You could also use it to pre-destroy your heavy gun if you're going up against a disabling ship, bring it up to healing in one hit, then go into battle like that.

Offline michael.hauda

• Salutes: 5
    • [MisF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 04:17:05 pm »
I think it would be fun. Exploitable, but fun. A troll gunner can already shoot loch flamer, troll captain can sit all day on moonshine
engis can also troll by doing nothing at all, trolling happens no matter what, it was just an idea I had and thought like sharing :)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 07:56:55 pm »
Yeah... its another tool. so its kinda redundant.

Think bout it, as a gunner. Oh noes I dun has fire tool. I know I'll just destroy my gun.
errr... I think there was a purpose to that....

now as an engie.

Oh no my chem spray wont work. I know. I destroy the part and rebuild with a wrench as opposed to using that slot for a spanner to go with my mallet.

Its just so full of doi.

Here's some trufax. If something has high stack. It will die faster. If its not its highly managable by occassionally tapping the part. (its a gunners art to feel out a gun's fire dmg to their gun). An if its too high to properly use or it gets hot. Just let it die and rebuild.

At best this tool is shaving off 8 seconds roughly. At worst its 1 second of extra waiting. regardless of the fact. the part is destroyed and unusable and an extra 8 seconds isn't gonna be helpful enough to justify it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 08:05:47 pm by Ceresbane »