Author Topic: AI playing until the connecting player has finished loading  (Read 6094 times)

Offline nake

• Salutes: 6
    • [RZ]
    • View Profile
    • My programming, robotics and geek forum (spanish)
AI playing until the connecting player has finished loading
« on: April 01, 2013, 04:56:01 pm »
This one I think it's quite important.
I don't know if I'm the only pilot that suffered this, but when you are in the middle of a battle, and in your crew there is a slot free (let's say, as engineer), when someone starts connecting to the game the AI stops fixing stuff because there is already a new player in that slot.
The problem is the time between the player starts to connect to the battle and the time he finishes connecting and loading the map. That time can be like 20~30 seconds in which you don't have a crew member (he is standing in the spawning point without moving).

My suggestion is that the AI should keep playing until the new player starts actually playing, and not until he starts connecting.

Thanks

Offline Captain Phil

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
Re: AI playing until the connecting player has finished loading
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 05:05:03 pm »
Agreed, there are even times when I afk when the match has not started and I end up returning in the middle of a fight not assisting the ship. Having AI continue playing until the player touches the keyboard would be nice.

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 05:08:51 pm »
You'd have to include a little tooltip saying "Press any key to take control" so that the player knows they can actually play, but yes this so very much.  Just assume a player is AFK until they actually start moving.

Offline Nadrynne

• Salutes: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 05:59:26 pm »
I agree and I did wonder if this was an issue. Especially as I mostly just drop in on random games when I play. But it can sometimes take up to half a minute for me to "load the level data" and I don't want the other ship suffer while they wait (I'd rather they suffer while I'm there =P).

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 02:19:15 am »
This would be really useful. What would be even better is if you spawn where the ai was and if ai were to spawn where a person was when they went afk.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 09:40:35 am »
Its funny when a friend joins mid-match. They can still hear your voice chat, so im always telling them to load quicker lest we die horribly. I always assumed it was a limitation in the spawning of players though. If it could be "fixed," that would be pretty nice.

Offline Kevin of Zhufbar

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 02:38:52 pm »
Ya also directly after a player leaves the AI doesn,t come in for a while.