Author Topic: Allow more special characters to be in ship names  (Read 12192 times)

Offline nake

• Salutes: 6
    • [RZ]
    • View Profile
    • My programming, robotics and geek forum (spanish)
Allow more special characters to be in ship names
« on: April 01, 2013, 04:42:49 pm »
It's a small suggestion, but in most games, clans have their name by using things like square brackets and such, and in Guns you can't use them.
I mean, I'd prefer to name my ship something like "[RZ] Crabkalash" thank "RZ.Crabkalash"
Also, I'm not sure about this one, but numbers would be cool too.

What do you sky-captains think?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 09:37:30 am by RearAdmiralZill »

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Allow more different characters to ships name
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 04:47:49 pm »
Square brackets used to be allowed, but they aren't anymore for some reason. Would definitely like to seem them back.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 02:22:29 am »
I believe Muse commented on this during a dev game and indicated that the special characters would be returning relatively soon. 

Offline nake

• [RZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 03:29:49 am »
I believe Muse commented on this during a dev game and indicated that the special characters would be returning relatively soon. 
Nice!
Why did they change it to forbid those special characters in the first place? Haha, sql-injection? xD

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 03:46:08 am »
Not with that itty-bitty character limit.

Offline Papa Paradox

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 31
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
    • Wind and Thunder Gaming
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 04:13:21 am »
Add a clan tag option? It'd just make it easier and we wouldn't have to use valuable characters from our name.

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 04:53:19 am »
In-game support for clans would be great, although we'd need a better name for it.  Fleets?

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 05:17:34 am »
What do you sky-captains think?

I think the grammar of the title is terrible.. "Allow more different characters to ships name" - "more different"?.  But that probably wasn't what you were asking.

Incidentally, the extended character set was only disabled for entry of ship names.  If you didn't change your ship name or attempt to edit it you could retain a ship name with the characters not presently available.  I think there are few players still running ships with these characters in the ship name.

Offline nake

• [RZ]
    • View Profile
Re: Allow special characters to ships name
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 05:24:48 am »
I think the grammar of the title is terrible.. "Allow more different characters to ships name" - "more different"?.  But that probably wasn't what you were asking.
Agree, but keep in mind that we were not all born in an English-speaking country xD I'm sorry I'm not that fluent at English as I'd like to, I'm trying to learn more. :)
The point is: allow special characters to our ships name. You all understood, didn't you?

BTW, I can't find a way to edit my first post (to change the title to something better), if a mod is willing to do this by himself, he has my approval :P
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 05:26:26 am by nake »

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 06:10:35 am »
'Tis ok.. I jest.. but we've had a thread about allowing more characters in ship names, whereas you are asking for different characters.

Your English is excellent, by the way.  Your mistake is one that I would expect from a native speaker who's poor in their own language - rather than someone for whom it's their second language.  Perhaps you're becoming too good at native English!

Offline nake

• [RZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 06:46:38 am »
'Tis ok.. I jest.. but we've had a thread about allowing more characters in ship names, whereas you are asking for different characters.
Well then: Increase name length and allow special characters (or some place to write your clan/fleet tag as suggested above) = Everyone happier!! :)

Your English is excellent, by the way.  Your mistake is one that I would expect from a native speaker who's poor in their own language - rather than someone for whom it's their second language.  Perhaps you're becoming too good at native English!
Thank you very much sir :D I salute you

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Allow more special characters to be in ship name's
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 09:37:09 am »
Modified the title as requested.

Offline All Systems Go

• Salutes: 1
    • [ASG]
    • View Profile
Re: Allow more special characters to be in ship names
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 09:52:07 am »
...I wonder if it would be at all possible to increase the overall character limit? So a second to that request above.

Longer names are (IMO) cool, and for a vessel I don't think it's really a hindrance? And I do love Culture-style names :D

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 09:56:57 am »
...I wonder if it would be at all possible to increase the overall character limit? So a second to that request above.

Longer names are (IMO) cool, and for a vessel I don't think it's really a hindrance? And I do love Culture-style names :D

There used to be no limit, but people abused that and made these really long, pointless names that messed up the GUI in lobby. If they find a way to make them longer without going back to that, then more power to them. Otherwise it might just be maxed out for that purpose.

Offline All Systems Go

• Salutes: 1
    • [ASG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 11:38:29 am »

There used to be no limit, but people abused that and made these really long, pointless names that messed up the GUI in lobby. If they find a way to make them longer without going back to that, then more power to them. Otherwise it might just be maxed out for that purpose.

Yeah, I can see that happening. On the flipside right now I have to call my Galleon the Size Isnt Everything instead of Size Isn't Everything.
I'm for having a limit, but a more generous one would be cool! (Maybe put an ellipsis in the lobby display if it's too long, then just display the full name when they click the ship or in game?)