Author Topic: Question For Pilots  (Read 24864 times)

Offline Kouhei Sakurai

• Salutes: 2
    • [TA☯]
    • View Profile
Re: Question For Pilots
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2014, 04:31:52 am »
I must say I have little piloting experience, and I normally play the role of an engineer (no preference for main or gungi, depends on what my capt needs). But I always appreciate a good gunner for a simple reason: the ship has to last long enough for the gunner to do his job. The faster we score a kill, the better it is for all of us. Of course everyone contributes: the pilot brings the guns in range and steers the ship away from danger and the engineer keeps the ship functional, but all in all everyone is there to make sure the gunner successfully scores the kill.

Unless you rely primarily on ramming... then in that case my argument is invalid.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2014, 04:41:36 am »
I must say I have little piloting experience, and I normally play the role of an engineer (no preference for main or gungi, depends on what my capt needs). But I always appreciate a good gunner for a simple reason: the ship has to last long enough for the gunner to do his job. The faster we score a kill, the better it is for all of us. Of course everyone contributes: the pilot brings the guns in range and steers the ship away from danger and the engineer keeps the ship functional, but all in all everyone is there to make sure the gunner successfully scores the kill.

Unless you rely primarily on ramming... then in that case my argument is invalid.

Well king of the hill and crazy king give good variation for making the kill unimportant, some ship builds are also very effective with three engineers as the ammo variations will not make a huge difference, as for ram only builds, you still require someone to take out the targets armour or else you'll just be trolling the enemy and your own engineers with hull camping and long term ramming, a frowned upon tactic in my opinion :)

Offline Kestril

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2014, 01:14:19 am »
Anything with a heavy gun on it---gunner.

Most other stuff --- engineers.

Basically, if you can make a lumberjack work, I will love you forever :)

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2014, 09:03:00 pm »

...I have no clue why everyone always says that the LJ is a bitch to shoot.  Any particular reasons why?

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2014, 09:03:55 pm »

...I have no clue why everyone always says that the LJ is a bitch to shoot.  Any particular reasons why?
Some people manage to miss with the flamethrower.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2014, 09:09:09 pm »

Some people manage to miss with the flamethrower.

Wait, what?  The Flamethrower?  It is the simplest gun to shoot, ever, of all time.  Just wait til we close and then sweep back and forth.  I mean its just...

Nevermind, Powder Monkeys.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2014, 09:09:28 pm »

Usually because the captain thinks that LJ is a super range gun and never engages under 1500m. You need real skills to hit at a four digit range.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2014, 09:13:34 pm »

Usually because the captain thinks that LJ is a super range gun and never engages under 1500m. You need real skills to hit at a four digit range.

That explains why my gunners are always stunned into silence...  I just try to maintain maybe 4-500 meters.  Hitting with ANYTHING in 4 digit range is hard.

Offline Kestril

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2014, 01:53:40 am »
It's not only the Lumberjack. I need a gunner with discipline on the Flak to wait for the lochnagar finisher, a steady hand to hose components down with the hwatcha, and one that can prioritize component targets with the heavy carronade.

When it's the gun that makes the ship work, you need a good gunner. It's that simple.

But still, it is amazing when you're locking down someone's balloon and grounding them from 1000+ meters.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 01:56:24 am by Kestril »

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2014, 09:19:44 am »
It's not only the Lumberjack. I need a gunner with discipline on the Flak to wait for the lochnagar finisher, a steady hand to hose components down with the hwatcha, and one that can prioritize component targets with the heavy carronade.

When it's the gun that makes the ship work, you need a good gunner. It's that simple.

But still, it is amazing when you're locking down someone's balloon and grounding them from 1000+ meters.

Agreed.  I love it when I get a good gunner on my Hwachafish.  You can tell, too.  It's absolutely beautiful when he disables every component in on volley, and then you can just turn, gat them, turn, Hwacha, turn, gat, repeat.  Or have your team mate meta him.  I still prefer my main engi on most ships, but on Spires, Mobs, and to an extent the Gally, gunner is really  important.