Author Topic: Old Fogie Gamer Time  (Read 13039 times)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Old Fogie Gamer Time
« on: December 07, 2014, 01:10:40 am »
Ok so this thread is about classic games or games which were just lost to obscurity. Games you played as a kid or big kid which just stood out and now you can imagine yourself as an old fogie sitting around in a rocking chair talking about what was. You can post as many times as you want.

I'll start with NHL: Rock the Rink: http://youtu.be/ARJKWy4z2Hw
Gameplay here: http://youtu.be/9gO7GbwszDU

It was an obscure title at the time because it was coming off the NFL Blitz buzz which was dying out. They released it during the fall of that era and it just never got much press either. Its basically an off the wall arcade hockey game with over the top moves and an emphasis on violence. All to rock music and zany announcers "He puts the cake in the oven! The oven heated to a toasty 350deg!" To handle the extra effects, they cut it down to 3on3 hockey. But the engine was basically the same one EA used for the regular NHL series.

Honestly at the time, I liked regular NHL games better but for some reason I never really forgot this title. I'd still pull it out and play it for laughs now and then.

It was also somewhat iconic because it marked a shift in EA's policy towards NHL games which started in 94. In 93 the NHLPA game they ran had blood in it. When you'd beat someone senseless or whack them, they'd fall on the ice and a pool of blood would form. 94 they removed that after parental complaints about violence. Rock the Rink would have been impossible during that era and it signaled a shift back towards more bloody realism in hockey games.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: Old Fogie Gamer Time
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 12:35:21 pm »
Durring a game jam I tried to use Desert Strike as a jumping off point to a game idea to my team mates. Only to realize in horror that I was a decade older than half of the them and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Desert strike was an isometric attack helicopter game for the SNES and Sega Genesis. The player could roam the entirety of the map but missions objectives would appear at certain points in the map in a certain order. It was successful enough in its day to spawn 4 sequels across the SNES to PS1 console generation.

What saddens me is that the game development tools have progressed to the point that the games of my youth are fairly easy to make. Yet the want to be game developers who are just graduating college have not played them. Many of them think "video games" are the massive AAA affairs of their youth. I have seen people consider a "Shadow of the Colossus" clone is a reasonable goal for a first video game project.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 05:56:42 pm »
Well, you guys are a decade and a half older than me.

But I also have a game I used to play that is lost to the past.
Inuyasha Demon Tournament

Inuyasha Demon Tournament was a flash game based on the anime Inuyasha. It featured a unique turns-based combat; instead of choosing a move every turn, you selected three moves to be played against your enemies three moves. So there is quite a lot of strategy involved.

I played it when I was in elementary school and I loved it. I believe adult swim is hosting the game now. If you want to check it out, you can find it at http://games.adultswim.com/demon-tournament-action-online-game.html

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 07:50:11 pm »
Oh the strike series...how they are missed. Though honestly, I think Desert Strike is the only one of the series I didn't beat. Some of the missions were down to the wire on fuel and ammo needed.

The original theme song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz46eUIDUtI

They reworked the series for the Playstation later with Soviet Strike and Nuclear Strike. Sadly the series just dropped off the radar again.

Offline shaelyn

• Salutes: 73
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 08:25:05 pm »
wow, I remember Desert Strike.  but that game, like most of the other NES and SNES games in my household, belonged to my older brother.

not anymore though, I have the whole collection >:D

I'm gonna poke at Air Warrior for the PC (and its two sequels.)  for me, it was oldschool GoIO with a WW2 theme.  you could pilot a fighter plane or a bomber, and other players can crew your bombers too.  and there were squadrons; I was a part of the Knights Who Say "Ni!"  awesome bunch of fellas.  miss them very much.

man, I could make a P-38 turn on a dime.  and I loved being a tail gunner on a B-17.

sadly, they took down the servers and closed the game shortly after 9-11.

not many videos or anything of this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFmJUhUI5KI

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 01:44:14 pm »
Well my god father got my dad into dungeons and dragons, being someone who in my life very rarely sleeps a full night I used to sit up and watch them play with their friends, this roleplay interest got heightened with the first family PC and Elder Scrolls Daggerfall and then age of empires and then Ultima Online..
Inbetween those games was Simon the Soucerer and Feeble Files!

Offline Canon Whitecandle

• Salutes: 8
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 11:23:36 am »
I'm sure I'm a little young, but does anyone here remember Legend of Dragoon? Massive RPG, clever mechanics, had the unfortunate luck of being published near the end of the PS 1's life cycle and has since vanished into obscurity. Scuttlebutt says that it's now downloadable on the PSN but I haven't checked.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 09:22:39 pm »
POD: Planet of Death

Best futuristic racing game ever made, awesome graphics but damn hard!
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvZ_GWt9bHg

Firebugs

"Roll-cage 3"
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oApzyXSgwKs

Offline Andika

• Salutes: 114
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 03:13:47 pm »
Too bad I forgot most of their titles. But I managed to find a few on the net (descriptions here are from the sites where I found them).
This is my childhood ladies and gents  :D

Soko-Ban

In this classic game, you must move crates to make a path to the exit. But this game goes beyond the simple premise and toughens the challenge on each level. By the final levels, you must plan 40 steps in advance.

Golden Axe

Golden Axe puts you in the shoes of one of three heroes, each with their own reason to try to overthrow the evil rule of Death-Adder. The evil ruler, along with his forces of darkness, kidnapped and imprisoned the king and his daughter and stole the legendary Golden Axe. This is a horizontal fighting game in which, as one of the three characters (a warrior, dwarf or amazon), you bash everything that stands between you and Death Adder himself.

Alley Cat

But my favourite was...
Gobliiins
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 03:16:32 pm by Andika »

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 09:30:11 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9JSAxX4mX8

you haven't lived until you have played evil zone.

Favourite story is setsuna with many classics like.

"I don't how to thank you Karin *awkward pause...* thank you... so much"

"You're so sweet Setsuna" "No... I'm just feeling good about things..."
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 09:32:06 pm by Ceresbane »

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 05:47:47 am »
Ok here is one some might remember but most not because the game bombed in reviews. However, I never saw those reviews and was a JP nut from the Genesis days so I had gotten a copy.

Watch the opening of this for the best Dreamworks logo ever...
http://youtu.be/R4svzPI6lqI

If you want the most frustrating...infuriating...best game ever made, this was it. I kid you not, this game was a trial to play and even worse that you had to play through over half of it to get to the good parts. On top of that there was no save system. Everything worked with passcodes so you had to write them all down as you played and if you didn't, you'd have to go back through the nightmare again. Honestly, I never beat the game in it's natural form. I got to the last level as a T-Rex and gave up. Though I used a gameshark later to cheat and beat it.

Why am I so nostalgic about it? Because coming off the Genesis JP games, there was nothing more satisfying than being the Raptor or the T-Rex in full 3D and tearing people apart or eating them whole. You could also scare the crap out of them with raptor calls or Rex roars.

The music was beautiful and masterfully done too. If you put the game CD in a CD player, you could hear the entire score anytime you wanted. Course it was one entire song track and you had to fast forward through it to find songs since none of them were separated. But man, in high school, people would ask why I had PSX CDs in my player and I'd say..."Cause the music is awesome!"

Just, once I finished it with the shark, I never booted it again. Soo many hours wasted on it. I'd come home from school, pop it in, then threaten the TV with death by controller or practice colorful metaphors. It was so terribly balanced and overly difficult on some levels. You had to nail it just about flawlessly and the dinos didn't always control well enough to do it. The Compy levels...*shudder* Oh that little bugger was insane to control at times. I'd even purposely get it killed on some levels because I just got so mad at it. "F it, I don't care anymore, get eaten and die torn to shreds, you green lizard chicken that controls like a beached whale!"

Still, great moment in gaming that I almost missed due to reviews. Course I don't blame reviewers for the bad reviews. If I was one of them and had to spend an hour with the game, I'd have written the same. However, it did garner a few decent reviews back then. I'd guess because of either bribery or the reviewer actually endured it and got to the fun parts.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 05:51:17 am by Gilder Unfettered »

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 04:32:09 am »
There are few things I remember about my days in elementary school, one of those was how every single classroom somehow managed to have several copies of The Oregon Trail.

It was one of those things that just happened to be available to us when the weather was bad enough here in Washington that we couldn't go outside for recess. We'd gather up a group of people and sit around a single computer, name party members after each other and see who would survive to the end. Of course we almost always died with frightening regularity but hey we were like 3rd and 4th graders so what did we know about efficiently planning a trip like that? Still it was one of those oddly enjoyable things that stuck around I guess.

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 11:45:21 am »
I loved Desert Strike and Legend of Dragoon.

How about this classic?

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 05:46:43 pm »
I loved Desert Strike and Legend of Dragoon.

How about this classic?

I'm too much of a youngin to have played that, but i do like the music!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=301acFz0a_A

Offline Hilary Briss

• Salutes: 22
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 04:57:23 pm »
Acorn atom

Zx spec urgh magazine typos for the fail!

Commodore tape stretched tapes made for interesting loads.

spectrum tape - spectrum128k disc

Wang industries 386mhz (ibm intel) dos blah

Console: Saturn game Panzer Dragons

Games well pc Dune, populous, Doom, Battle Of Britain F14 amongst others all with on / off lan or null modem

My favorite Platform game was TurricanII

Diablo 1996 then Diablo II Lod still have all my chars all fully legit and playable Highest is lvl 98 To Present day.
Only way to hit 99 is Bot and wont lose any accounts just because of cheating.

In the middle of that is my Smiterdin Giving the prime Evils what for.