Author Topic: Ship design pet peeves  (Read 22629 times)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
Ship design pet peeves
« on: December 03, 2014, 09:15:54 am »
I just came to rant about dem squid railings. Whenever I miss a jump and land on the outside side of the railings I get stuck there until I circle around or fall off.

If the railings werent there I could move more freely. Hell removing just the inner railings would b fine for me.

seriously that feel when you want to go side gun (or outer engine) after tapping the engines and your jump falling short as to bump into the rails to force you on the outside of them.

the gun is so close... yet out of reach.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Re: Ship design pet peeves
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 09:46:30 am »
A) Don't miss! Just take a squid out in practice mode and practice all those sweet parkour jumps. It took me a while, but now I only ever miss sometimes if I'm playing music and have to hold down my x/z key the entire match like some sort of six fingered mad man

B) The squid is a tiny piece of metal, traveling at breakneck speeds. Frankly, there should be more railings! (I'm not actually suggesting this, just the squid is horrifying when you think about it)  Removing that inner railing would sort of ruin some of the personality of the ship, and it's totally possible to get that jump down consistently.

What I WOULD be in favor of, in terms of a squid redesign would be lowering the top engines to make them easier to hit from the bottom. I feel like something happened a few updates ago that messed with something, and the top engines have been a lot harder to get from the bottom, to a point where it's barely a reliable move. I've adjusted my whole chem spray cycle to adjust for it.

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 04:03:24 pm »
You should be glad they didn't put realistic air friction or acceleration behaviour on crew members. You wouldn't be jumping on a squid anymore believe it.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 04:14:01 pm »
A trick someone told me once that helps with this is to jump from right in the center, instead of walking up to the railing. If you're too close, your legs will catch on it when you try to jump over, slowing you down and causing you to fall short. If you're right in the middle, you get that perfect arc when you jump allowing you to land just right.

Offline Lochiel

• Salutes: 2
    • [GsC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 04:42:19 pm »
It'd be nice if there was an invisible slope on the outside of the inside railings... so that if you landed outside you could "hop" over the railing.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 06:34:15 pm »
It'd be nice if there was an invisible slope on the outside of the inside railings... so that if you landed outside you could "hop" over the railing.

That's what I always dream... hopping over the railing and dying inside with each failing as we die and I know we are dead by the time I make it to the gun.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 06:58:05 pm »
So don't miss :) it's completely possible to get the timing consistnent. If squid was an easy ship, everyone would fly it..

Personally my pet peeves are ladders, I get stuck on them even after playing on 1.5k matches. Also tiny corners like the one one between goldfish front gun and hull, sometimes you get stuck on it 2 inches away from hitting the hull, much rage.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 07:22:06 pm by Omniraptor »

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 07:27:41 pm »
on that note the goldfish wires next to the helm that stop you from jumping directly off the helm and to the hull.

same around the balloon area where I wanna jump/fall to the turning engines.

also the crow's nest on the galleon that serves nothing but to get in your way. When there is clearly some sorta  corridor up there. I bet there are like 99 red balloons up there and errybody is having a rave balloon party.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 07:30:12 pm by Ceresbane »

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 07:39:21 pm »
You can get to the goldfish turning engines from balloon in 2 seconds, just jump down left side onto left engine, hop down, whack engines as you run past, back to balloon. Alternatively if only the right side engine is damaged, there's a spot right behind the balloon you can jump off, landing right in front of engine. There's a few videos flowing around showing off both jumps.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 01:35:12 am »
Pfft, bunch of noobs. Real squid pilots fly with no railings! When someone falls off and gets caught in the propeller, thats our pro level tar cloud of red misty death! I prefer to blend powder monkeys. They tend to have spent casings which, when chopped up, helps shred enemy balloons better.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 01:38:11 am »
Pfft, bunch of noobs. Real squid pilots fly with no railings! When someone falls off and gets caught in the propeller, thats our pro level tar cloud of red misty death! I prefer to blend powder monkeys. They tend to have spent casings which, when chopped up, helps shred enemy balloons better.

and your own engines as if it were hit by shinies.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 01:59:01 am »
I sprayed all my blades with anti power monkey spray...thanks batman!

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 09:39:26 pm »
Can't be worse than Moonshine.
and your own engines as if it were hit by shinies.
I sprayed all my blades with anti power monkey spray...thanks batman!

IAnd where could I get this 'Anti-Powder-Monkey' spray?  Use it like frickin' perfume.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 09:47:04 pm »
Idk why you guys complain about power monkeys so much. There are high level players that are much more annoying. And brand new players who are good at games/ communication.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 04:50:57 am »
Idk why you guys complain about power monkeys so much. There are high level players that are much more annoying. And brand new players who are good at games/ communication.

Seconded.