Author Topic: Carronades  (Read 26736 times)

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Carronades
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 03:40:25 pm »
Man, this again?

Stop buffing from increasing gun damage so much. Oh wait, gun changes. Right.

It's fine where it is. (light and heavy)

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 09:11:47 pm »
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention - I'm also actually pretty happy with the state of the carronades and balloon as is.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 10:31:44 pm »
They could just reduce the damage it does to armor and hull.

Offline Mezhu

• Salutes: 33
    • [Sgar]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 07:55:31 am »
So, are you 'insisting even harder' to change the entire game in an attempt to 'balance' a single weapon, or are you happy with how it is?

Offline GeoRmr

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 07:58:10 am »
If the weapon needs balancing as much as the majority of people here seem to think, then yes. However I do think the issue we have is not with the guns effective performance and ability to destroy balloons, but only with the repercussions that are caused by the state of a destroyed balloon. I do believe that the changes I have suggested will have a far smaller impact on the rest of the game mechanics than you are postulating.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:02:01 am by GeoRmr »

Offline Tanya Phenole

• Salutes: 92
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 09:08:54 am »
Hey how about we just increase the cone of carronade, like a little bit?

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2014, 11:12:29 am »
Hey how about we just increase the cone of carronade, like a little bit?

Then you risk making heavy a required ammo. Arguably that is still the case at its maximum range, but I think other ammos have merit closer in.

They could just reduce the damage it does to armor and hull.

It doesn't do that much hull damage. The ground does. As for armor, idk. Directly it's not the best vs armor. Indirectly, it works. Balloon down = damage to armor + engies trying to get the balloon up. Personally I think it's fine where it is. Sure, you need to have tactics in mind to beat it, but this is no different from any other enemy.

Offline Tanya Phenole

• Salutes: 92
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2014, 09:04:58 pm »
Well, once you dropped on earth and  not rising from it and not having engines on , ground should stop making damage
So you can lie down and not be damaged continuously. Well, it should be like that. I touch ground and don't suffer from pain all the time, you know?

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2014, 05:28:10 am »
Well, once you dropped on earth and  not rising from it and not having engines on , ground should stop making damage
So you can lie down and not be damaged continuously. Well, it should be like that. I touch ground and don't suffer from pain all the time, you know?

I think it's called landing in lay-mans terms :)

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2014, 02:42:30 pm »

That's a fair point. I think the reason it happens here is that with no balloon, your ship is always moving down. The game likely doesn't account for "ground" vs "canyon wall" for example. Hit a canyon wall, you take some damage based on speed. Since you're balloon is out, youre always falling so you're constantly hitting the ground, thus damage. Would be interesting if you could actually stop and "rest" on the ground. Then it would force the blender to ram the ship instead of just sit there.

Sounds hard, might not be. I'd test that kind of mechanic.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2014, 03:18:10 pm »
Uuuuh, as much as it seems logical, there are ships this would be highly ilogical. I mean just downright shouldnt happen for these ships.
Well, the only ship i see not having this is Spire :P

But then again, hitting the ground and not getting damaged isnt a good fix to the carronade, its a good fix versus lumberjack but carronade not really. Because the enemy ship is allready close range and on the ground, why not ram? So in either case it will die anyway. Its just good against long range baloon popping. Ships from long range eventualy falling to the ground will then be able to come back up. With carronades it wouldnt really matter. Heck i believe keeping them on the ground without killing them would be more inneffective in terms of balance or mechanic abuse.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2014, 03:26:30 pm »
Hence why i'd test it and not just proclaim we solved the great carronade debate!

In all seriousness though, it would be rather different. Plus, how often do you really manage to make your ship stay perfectly still? Any movement will translate to damage, just not a fixed rate when you're sitting on the ground. A carronade would ram. LJ is usually accompanied with another gun (not my lumberfish) and even if not, they generally run support over kill. I think this ultimately hits the "gameplay vs realism" barrier though. The tactics sound fun at least.

Offline GeoRmr

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2014, 03:28:45 pm »
Hence why i'd test it and not just proclaim we solved the great carronade debate!

In all seriousness though, it would be rather different. Plus, how often do you really manage to make your ship stay perfectly still? Any movement will translate to damage, just not a fixed rate when you're sitting on the ground. A carronade would ram. LJ is usually accompanied with another gun (not my lumberfish) and even if not, they generally run support over kill. I think this ultimately hits the "gameplay vs realism" barrier though. The tactics sound fun at least.

I wonder how hard that would be for muse to implement though

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2014, 03:32:57 pm »
No idea. Im sure it's a lot harder than my mind makes it out to be. The underlying "problem" (and even here i'm guessing) is that ships with no balloon are always in a "falling" state. Damage is currently scaled on speed (you bump into something and its not so bad. smack a rock at full speed with squid, yea your armor's gone) so it's just how do they make it so the "ground" knows differently?

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2014, 03:40:23 pm »
While you can't rest on the ground without taking damage, the damage rate is small enough that you could put up a decent fight before the hull goes. A gat/morter combo or a mine could easily knock out an attacking blender fish in the time it takes resting impact damage to finish off a junker. I have fraught my way out of balloon lock several times by sitting on the ground and camping hull.

The problem many pilots encounter (myself included) is the temptation to press the rise button when you are in that situation.  Every time your balloon is repaired you want to use it to get as far from the ground as possible, but this only serves to increase the ground impact damage when it is ultimately popped again. I have found the best practice when balloon locked is to go down even with a repaired balloon. It takes you out of the blenderfish's vertical arc and allows you control over how you hit the ground. Once on the ground your crew have a limited window to make a kill as the blender fish over descends.

Against exceptional pilots (Zill) this won't always work because they will hit you with a goomba stomp the moment your hull touches ground. Against less seasoned pilots, who like to watch a ship writhe on the ground while they pop the balloon constantly, it is possible to pull a turn arround.