Author Topic: Harsh community :(  (Read 7838 times)

Offline Lorlen

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
Harsh community :(
« on: November 19, 2014, 04:15:40 pm »
Hi,

When I started playing this game, the country serves nice. People said he'll and would be nice. Recently, I have seen that people don't tend to communicate, and when they do, it's too yell at their team. This isn't nice :( why has this happened?

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
Re: Harsh community :(
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 04:20:06 pm »
There was a huge influx of new players with the steam sale.  Some of them are great and friendly, some of them are assholes.  A lot of veterans have stopped playing since matchmaking was implemented so that removes a lot of the really good team players and role models for new players.  :/

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 04:28:06 pm »
I don't agree with the "a lot of veterans have stopped playing since matchmaking" statement.

It's just a matter of the internet being the internet, and you're going to get your fair share of bad seeds who blame everyone else for something going wrong, it is, unfortunately, an inescapable thing (this, by the way, applies to veterans as well, you don't automatically become a nice person just by the virtue of playing the game a lot_. That having been said, GOIO still has one of the better communities overall, don't be disillusioned by some bad experiences at the start.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 04:29:44 pm »
You're probably spending a lot of time in novice matches.

Graduate from those, and you'll find a nice increase in the community.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 04:31:18 pm »
Don't worry. You'll find nice people in the community. As long as you communicate you'll settle down.

Most people on the forum are real nice, active players. Once you graduate out of novice, you can join us. You can also opt out of novice matches, but I recommend that you finish all the tutorials first.

You are welcome to sail with me, as long as you talk and listen.

I try to play at least a match a day.

Welcome, welcome! Don't feel abashed!

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 04:48:12 pm »
True, veterans boycotting MM wouldn't change much since the problem was happening whether or not vets would be around. This is a generational problem. Lot of people who got into gaming through social media which have no concept that digital people are people too. Then others which have no outlets in real life for their frustrations so they take it into games. Years ago, they'd do this in single player games and never hurt anyone. Now we've got the XBL generation where a push of a button would give instant multiplayer access. The ability to grief others becomes high and with it comes a lot of sadistic people who like doing it.

Multiplayer games just aren't a good outlet for frustrations because other players are unpredictable and will not just roll over and take it like bots. They only add to frustrations. Which is why cheating in FPS games is so much more prevalent nowadays because people want easy wins to relieve frustration. Heck we've got gamers that hire out their services now to help others win.

Offline RedRoach

• Salutes: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 05:13:56 pm »
Hmm.

I've never been in a lobby like that. And the only time is when an expirenced member has lost his crap at why my "super-squid-skills" has us charging past 3 ships. (don't feel bad to cringe. I did too.) When it happens to me, it's for a reason.

Now people randomly screaming at each other you say... This may be a bias against newcomers (does not apply if experience with newcomer was amazing, I'm looking at you 4-pack buying group that was a boss for 2 matches), but I've always seen people who haven't played being an issue. The thing is, many of those people don't understand that teamwork OP.

Some vets may take offense if you fly with them, but if you want to see people who'll respond, criticize with reason, and take your side if someone starts spitting out curses like a gatling sporting greased, don't be afraid to join up with any of us here on the forums. Pretty much all of the active members here are active in the game proclaiming the "joys" of matchmaker and hosting games of their own, me included.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 06:25:32 pm »
Well I actually had some situations of yelling at each other on board. In fact, it is I mostly who do so. To justify myself I can only tell, that I always try to be more or less patient, unless somebody is repeating same stupid mistakes (like Mishka The Great, who charged between enemies, got us in gat trifecta and was angry at us because in his enlightened opinion it was fault of our laziness and not keeping up, that our armour was almost constantly down) or completely ignoring advices, questions or whatever (like one captain I flew with today; during King Of The Hill he wanted rather to chase and shoot down galleon instead of helping ally to keep the point).

The fact is that you must persist matches with novices, because, well. Many of them have no clue what's important in this game, taking it as another Call Of Duty alike crap.

Play with more experienced players - there's a HUGE difference. I'll tell you what - if you are writing on the forum about such problem, there's a hope you'll get on well with other players. Learn to read text chat and to listen what is often said. This game requires strict teamwork to win so communication is important. And believe me - even if you are very low level so-called noob, but you are willing to communicate, learn and listen, then you are seen as much more worthy player than many others who are deaf and mute...

This game needs patience and staying calm. Many newbies aren't aware of that.

Welcome to Guns Of Icarus - a game, where one must go through some beating and bashing, but if one have patience, have some good will to face defeat not broken - you'll become a part of the family. :)

Wish you luck and clear skies.

Offline Bronzium

• Salutes: 11
    • [HMCS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 10:19:25 pm »
I'l admit there's a fair number of jerk-like members in the game so far, however not all of them are bad. Some of them are great role models (if you fly with some Gents, you'll pick up some nice tips from them real fast).

If you care to fly with me sometime, I'l be sure to give ya a few pointers, depending on which class you think you'll primarily be using (my specialties are Engineer and Gunner, still learning my way through Piloting myself).

But, I'd take everyone's advice from those who posted above, if you can duke it out and graduate from Novice, you'll find a nice change in scenery as far as community goes. :)

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 04:37:23 am »
If you need to get someone out here to tame the novices, summon me. you know which corner of steam to find me in. I just disapprove of the half-baked match-list replacement along with matchmaking.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 03:19:03 am »
Hi,

When I started playing this game, the country serves nice. People said he'll and would be nice. Recently, I have seen that people don't tend to communicate, and when they do, it's too yell at their team. This isn't nice :( why has this happened?

people that yell and act all MLG is generally the new people. They tend to change their attitude or go away. Because if you piss off your crew, they won't listen to you out of spite. Vets learn this fact (well most of us).

that being said, if they dun listen in the first place a good raging is highly justified in my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 03:25:36 am by Ceresbane »

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 04:47:34 am »
Sometimes not listening could be lack of sound of language barriers, which should be kept into account before raging. But CeresBane is right about many people acting 'pro skillz' when actually they don't know their own errors, often changing their attitude after a while as they find themselves stuck with AI more often.
Everyone hates AI ;)
gotta love CeresBanes clan name