Author Topic: Ammo Changes the Gun  (Read 7695 times)

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
Ammo Changes the Gun
« on: November 27, 2014, 10:46:52 pm »
From here, an idea sprung out of my head.
(There is a big gaping hole where the idea sprung out. Does anybody know a good head-doctor?) :P
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,5266.0.html

What if ammo types changed the gun a little?

Light Carronade - Heavy ammos causes knockback on the target and the shooter. Force of Nature(tf2) style. Knockback inversely proportional to range.

Harpoon - Lochnagar/Heavy/Heatsink ammos simply shoots harpoon as a projectile. No strings attached. Maybe it becomes a "rail gun", penetrating enemies to hit enemies behind it.

Heavy Flak - Burst rounds severely shortens or gets rid of arming time.

Beacon Flare - This is a fun one. Burst causes firework. Lesmok shoots very far, doesn't stop at the clouds, and distracts the enemy. Lochnagar kills the cloud. Heavy Clip turns flare into a linear projectile; when it strikes an enemy, it attaches and relays back the distance (that range finder is supposed to give). Heatsink turns the fire damage into heavy explosive damage, but the flare doesn't light up.

Gatling Gun - Lochnagar fires one strong impact shot. Heavy increases range (just for the gatling), bringing back the old gatling sniping. Maybe certain ammos (haven't decided which yet), reduces the number of tracer rounds.

Twin Carronade - Same as Light Carronade. Knockback on the target and the shooter. Perfect disengage gun.

Flamethrower - Heatsink fires steam. Burst fires tar (as people have suggested tar-guns). Incendiary turns the flame blue (blue flames look cool).

Artemis - Burst changes secondary shatter damage into explosive. Grease and incendiary changes secondary to fire. Lochnagar fires one impact missile that can knock the enemy off-course.

Mortar - Heavy clip changes the explosive damage to weak flechette/shatter damage.

Light Flak Cannon - same as heavy flak. Burst reduce/gets rid of arming time.

Banshee Carousel - This is another fun one. Greased let's banshee fire its entire clip at once, but reduces clip size (just for the banshee for obvious balance reasons). Heatsink changes the secondary fire damage into explosive damage. Heavy changes the primary explosive damage into piercing damage. Lochnagar fires two impact missiles before killing the gun; it's similar to Artemis effect, but two weaker missiles. Incendiary turns the carousel into flare. Two rounds that light up the sky (two rounds just for the banshee).

Mercury Field Gun - Lesmok changes the projectile from an arcing bullet to a straight missile. Heatsink increases gun arc (by like, 5 degrees).

Hwacha - Lochnagar fires two accurate, impact damage missiles. Charged rounds make the missiles arc up.

Lumberjack - Another fun one. Burst or Greased makes it fire several weaker scatter shots per shot. Heavy turns the lumber shot into an impact shot. Incendiary makes it into a three shot flare. Lochnagar increases the size and the payload of the shot (I mean, that little lightbulb is too small to have come out of the huge Lumberjack. Some Hollywood reality please!)

Mine Launcher - probably the funnest to brain storm for. Incendiary causes more flames than usual. Heatsink doesn't set off other mines when it goes off, but also make the direct shot more powerful. Burst creates a tar cloud when exploded. Lesmok spawns the mine with a propeller that flies away. The movement is linear, straight away from the point of origin (the shooter), and cannot be controlled.

Hades Light Cannon - Incendiary reduces/gets rid of arming time. Heatsink gets rid of arming time, but replaces secondary fire damages with more piercing or explosive.

-----------------------------------------------------

This would make gunning more of a profession than powder-monkey point and click.

Gunners would have to learn what ammo does what on what gun.

If the gunner ends up sticking to only one gun, these changes will make the three different ammo types worth while.

Some of these ideas are vastly overpowered. Again, these are thoughts that just occurred to me moments ago. Any modification are perfectly welcome and much needed.

If this is impossible to implement, just changing ammo stats per gun would increase the usefulness of an experienced gunner; as it stands, an engineer is vastly superior to a gunner.

Change the ammo stats from just boring percent increase/decreases into different effects on different guns.

-----------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading this really lengthy brain-dump post.  :)

Indreams,
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 10:56:39 pm by Indreams »

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Ammo Changes the Gun
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 10:58:56 pm »
Uhm... you should have tought about it more.

How can a player know this.
How can one ammo be tied to each weapon.
How can this be easily changed for new guns in the future, or new ammo in the future.

The description for each ammo would be too big, the learning curve would be unnesesarily bad in this case, and its just not intergrated to the game for an ammo to work differently in specific ways in each gun.

Offline Canon Whitecandle

• Salutes: 8
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 11:08:47 pm »
I approve wholeheartedly, the only problem is implementation. 16 guns x 8 ammo types = 128 unique gun mechanics to code, test, and implement.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 11:14:55 pm »
Uhm... you should have tought about it more.

How can a player know this.
How can one ammo be tied to each weapon.
How can this be easily changed for new guns in the future, or new ammo in the future.

The description for each ammo would be too big, the learning curve would be unnesesarily bad in this case, and its just not intergrated to the game for an ammo to work differently in specific ways in each gun.

Yea, you are right. Probably should've thought a little more. It was a brain-dump that happened in thirty minutes.

And I'm sure this is very difficult to implement.

In my defense, I've avoided most ammo-gun combinations that stands right now. Most changes have to do with lochnagar, which is an "experimental round", so should make sense to do weird, quirky things.

Also in my defense, I want to see different ammo types being differently effective on different guns. Gunning shouldn't be just point and shoot, but a quick-thinking strategy. So, the learning curve is sort of the point. Make gunning difficult, interesting, and appreciable.

The huge description thing is a good point. But what if ammo types had journals? Guns have journals, ships have journals. Why not have ammo type journals that unlock by default or by bringing that ammo to a few matches?

I approve wholeheartedly, the only problem is implementation. 16 guns x 8 ammo types = 128 unique gun mechanics to code, test, and implement.

With the implementation, it doesn't have to dramatically change the guns as I wildly brain stormed. This was just a crazy, spontaneous, and especially enjoyable brainstorm. Simply twick the percent increase/decrease per gun to achieve the purpose of making ammo types dynamic and interesting. And not even every ammo need to change for every gun. Some work perfectly fine the way they are.

I apologize if I am a tad bit defensive. I guess I'm kinda proud of my ideas at the moment. Feel free to deflate my ego.

Thank you,  :)

Indreams
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 11:18:45 pm by Indreams »

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 11:20:34 pm »
I'd love to see some ammo types cause impact damage. Making enemy ships go the way I want is fun.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 11:56:01 pm »
So I make a thread, which gives Crafeksterty an idea, and he makes a thread, which gives Indreams an idea...

I like this idea, but 128 different mechanics (as mentioned by Canon Whitecandle) is a bit much.  Maybe Gunning TOOLS that give a similar effect?

Offline obliviondoll

• Salutes: 26
    • [BSky]
    • View Profile
    • obliviondoll's blog (barely-maintained)
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 01:19:39 am »
As much as this thread wasn't well thought out, this idea made me smile:

Beacon Flare - This is a fun one. Burst causes firework.

GoIO needs EVEN MORE fireworks.

(after all, there's a reason I have a Fireworks Display Galleon...)

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 05:06:06 pm »
GOI is a very elegant/simple game, because everything interacts with everything else in a predictable and consistent manner (except fire stacks on guns). The fun come from positioning and mastery of gunnery/repair.

Compare this to a game like tf2 where there's bats*** crazy stuff happening all the time, people getting splashed with various bodily fluids, wannabe ninja tomislav heavies waiting around corners instead of pushing or trying to tickle/backstab, random crockets flying everywhere, medics with useless vaccinator energy shields, mini-sentries shutting down explosive jumpers, demoknights (nuff said) and other unnecessary gimmicky mechanics.  /endrant

Don't get me wrong I love tf2 but it's a hot mess in terms of how all the different mechanics interact that's impossible to keep track of.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 05:09:07 pm by Omniraptor »

Offline ZnC

• Salutes: 40
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 05:15:31 pm »
GOI is a very elegant/simple game, because everything interacts with everything else in a predictable and consistent manner (except fire stacks on guns). The fun come from positioning and mastery of gunnery/repair.

Although you revived a thread few months old, I have to absolutely agree with what you said. I am extremely impressed by the game design of GOI when it comes to mechanics, gameplay and numbers. As a devoted gunner, I've spent a lot of time studying all the numbers and have to admit it is beautifully designed. This is also partly why I am not keen to new mechanics, but rather the simple adding of new maps, ships, weapons or tools.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 09:04:38 pm »

Although you revived a thread few months old, I have to absolutely agree with what you said. I am extremely impressed by the game design of GOI when it comes to mechanics, gameplay and numbers. As a devoted gunner, I've spent a lot of time studying all the numbers and have to admit it is beautifully designed. This is also partly why I am not keen to new mechanics, but rather the simple adding of new maps, ships, weapons or tools.

Completely agree. New maps, ships, weapons, and tools. They are what will vitalize this game. More game modes too. Lot more game modes.

But, gunner's are quite underpowered. Stamina is a pretty shabby fix (really takes away from that elegance and simplicity). We do need some new mechanic/changes to fix an issue with the gunners.